XTS IS a great STS replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, XTS IS a great STS replacement in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I didn't expect this, but I can really see going from an STS to an XTS and feeling good about ...
    MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE

I didn't expect this, but I can really see going from an STS to an XTS and feeling good about the move. My concerns, as a slightly taller than average American, circle around head & leg room in newer cars. I frequently find that when the driver seat is adjusted to my preference (slightly more upright in the back than most people I observe) I frequently can't safely see the road in front of the car. The roofline comes down to far into my field of vision.

I stopped in at my local dealer and sat in a couple of their units. Base & Premium packages.

With the front seat adjusted to my liking, my head still had over an inch of clearance! Wow! And I could still see above the tree line & horizon in the distance. Then I got out and sat in the back seat and was blown away by the legroom. My knees didn't even touch the front seat. Of course, my head was sideways into the roof, but that's normal for me in any car and I don't expect otherwise.

The full CUE system, while clearly complex and requiring significant practice was beautiful. Even outside in full morning sunlight I had zero issues reading the entire display. I didn't press for a test drive as I'm not in the market right now and didn't want to waste a salesman's time or energy.

The guy I spoke with did concede he doesn't expect much DTS to XTS traffic. But I definitely came away impressed with the interior space and think this car will be very enticing to current STS & CTS drivers with growing families.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DG2
    DG2 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMuse

I didn't expect this, but I can really see going from an STS to an XTS and feeling good about the move. My concerns, as a slightly taller than average American, circle around head & leg room in newer cars. I frequently find that when the driver seat is adjusted to my preference (slightly more upright in the back than most people I observe) I frequently can't safely see the road in front of the car. The roofline comes down to far into my field of vision.

I stopped in at my local dealer and sat in a couple of their units. Base & Premium packages.

With the front seat adjusted to my liking, my head still had over an inch of clearance! Wow! And I could still see above the tree line & horizon in the distance. Then I got out and sat in the back seat and was blown away by the legroom. My knees didn't even touch the front seat. Of course, my head was sideways into the roof, but that's normal for me in any car and I don't expect otherwise.

The full CUE system, while clearly complex and requiring significant practice was beautiful. Even outside in full morning sunlight I had zero issues reading the entire display. I didn't press for a test drive as I'm not in the market right now and didn't want to waste a salesman's time or energy.

The guy I spoke with did concede he doesn't expect much DTS to XTS traffic. But I definitely came away impressed with the interior space and think this car will be very enticing to current STS & CTS drivers with growing families.
    I did get a chance to test drive and was very impressed. Handled very nice and extremely quite. I also own an STS and had it parked next to the XTS. The XTS did make my STS look a little conservative. The back is nice , the front grill and hoodlums look great and the interior is off the charts. Not crazy about the side view but overall it is impressive.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Good to hear your impressions, Todd. I saw one at my local dealer but didn't have time to stop.

Seeing it out in person now, though, makes me want to stop in and get a look-see...

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Re: XTS IS a great STS replacement

I really would like to see if the Platinum interiors (leathers/woods) make up for the fact that they now have a great 2-tone caramel/black in the Premium trim....
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

DG2
    DG2 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by hueterm
    I really would like to see if the Platinum interiors (leathers/woods) make up for the fact that they now have a great 2-tone caramel/black in the Premium trim....
    My dealer had a Platinum in stock . The grill is much different and it makes a very strong styling statement. The interior had the suide dash with
    Purple stitching. It looks really cool. The Cue and "video game" apperence on the inside seems like you need to take a prep class on how to use it
    My three teens went nuts fur the interior tech features. It is like nothing anyone has seen before. Most importantly extremely comfortable
    Ergonomics.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

As far as luxury and technology, yes, it easily replaces the STS.

As a 5-series competitor, no. The STS was more competitive with the 5-series in terms of braking, handling, and overall performance.

XTS is a different kind of car.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

It's basically going to drive (if not sound) like a smaller DTS Platinum (e.g. ~300HP w/Magneride) with hopefully less torque steer and a tighter turning radius -- with an improved, more modern, interior similar to an STS. Plus a whole lot of gizmos.

In GM's current broken existance, it's the replacement for the two -- whether or not they want to admit it.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

My mom who is a die hard GM and Cadillac person said that even though she liked the design of the XTS, she would choose the 535i over the XTS, E-Class, A6 and XF and honestly she doesn't even really love BMW's. She said the BMW is a better looking car and even though I didn't drive it I know it drives better than the XTS, even though I was impressed with how it drove.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.