The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement - Page 8
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 130
Like Tree21Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer Yes. Have you ever heard of the Buick LaCrosse? Oh, please. Don't try to turn this ...
  1. #106
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,677

    Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer View Post


    Yes.

    Have you ever heard of the Buick LaCrosse?

    Oh, please. Don't try to turn this around as though you're actually teaching me something.

    YOU went on and on railing about the XTS as a Buick clone. You go on bitching about the XTS as not being like the DTS.

    Yet, the DTS and Lucerne were clones.

    The XTS is also more powerful and has far more options. The swooping roofline might make it feel smaller, but it has as much real room as the DTS.

  2. #107
    gohawks63's Avatar
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    3,029

    Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    True. I read that the C7 Corvette is first in line to have the be V8. I also have been criticle of the XTS having the 6 but as I think about it the 6 cylinder engine is only 15 hp she of my Northstar V8 in my STS and that same six powers the Buick Enclave, Traverse, Arcadia. More I think about it that six seem just fine.
    Also don't forget that while the 3.6 "only" has 304 hp (wasn't too long ago that was a lot for a 6), in CTS spec it has 318hp, and in Camaro (and I think ATS) spec is at 321 hp. Right up there with that Northstar V8.

  3. #108
    DTS man33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, Had 2000 Deville DTS and 2003 Deville DTS
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    36
    Posts
    83

    Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer View Post
    I was talking with some of the salesmen at the Caddy Dealer downtown. They are worried about the direction Cadillac has taken with the large car segment. It seems Cadillac has positioned the XTS to be the 'happy medium' amongst disenfranchised Seville/STS and Deville/DTS customers. According to them, customers are not buying into that philosophy.

    I don't believe the XTS is a STS/DTS replacement. I believe it is the product of uncertainty that GM was in at the time. Having a FWD in the line-up is great and the tech is superb, but it should be revamped to have V8 as an option and not share a Buick frame. It should be the modern concept of a Deville. I don't mean it should look the same as a '05 or '11 or emulate any car of the past, but that's the position is should hold in the line-up. Call it whatever you like but it should have adequate interior space and have a few trims such as Base model V6 FWD optional V8 w/MRC or AWD. And it should look like a Cadillac. Not a Buick LaCrosse, Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES350, etc.

    A flagship is needed above the XTS and it should be the equivalent to a Fleetwood of the modern era. It would have to compete with the LS460, S Class, and 7 series. The ATS looks to edge out the CTS for entry level. The CTS will grow larger in '14 and essentially be a STS successor. Add in a touring coupe with an optional convertible and you have a proper car line-up.
    This is more or less what I heard from my Caddy dealer. I saw another XTS at a different Cadillac dealer. The genreal manager was driving a white luxo model. He asked me if I wanted one since he saw me getting out of my DTS I told him "hell no!" I told how I feel about the stying and that I was at the dealer looking at a nice pre-owned 2011 Platinum DTS. He said he thought the XTS should of been a Buick not a Cadillac and this feedback is coming from Cadillac sales people and upper dealer management! Oldcaddybuyer you hit everything dead on and as far as Bigjimshow's comment about the DTS being a Lucerne clone, sure they had the same platforms but no way were they clones on the outside. Not even close dude. Maybe the interior was somewhat close to the DTS I will give you that but not the exterior.

  4. #109
    ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    996

    Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

    The DTS is gone, never to return. I wish people would accept it and quit wasting time talking about it. Very few bought one but now all of a sudden it's such a wanted item. Go away.

  5. #110
    DG2's Avatar
    DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,265
    Plenty of used DTS on the market for those due hards but let's be real, the DTS in today's luxo market is a dinosaur ....

  6. #111
    hueterm's Avatar
    hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bentonville, AR
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,090

    Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

    The DTS is essentially an 18 year old design, and one that still holds considerable appeal for some (myself included). The fact that the XTS does not blow it out of the water in every respect proves that it's not a replacement. It fits a different niche.

    There is not an enormous difference between a '94 Concours and a 2011 DTS. If Cadillac hadn't been either lazy or broke or pandering to the greens or Gov't -- and had radically transformed it in 2000, and again in 2006, and again in 2012 -- we'd have our "Omega", and the argument would never have had to take place.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

    PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

    NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

  7. #112
    ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    996

    Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

    Please let the name DTS go away. This is 2012 and the subject is Cadillac 2013 XTS.

  8. #113
    hueterm's Avatar
    hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bentonville, AR
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,090
    Probably not going to happen...
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

    PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

    NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

  9. #114
    drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oak Creek, WI
    Posts
    5,383

    Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer View Post
    It should have comparable technology to that of LS460, S Class, 7 Series. Big enough to be a freeway cruiser but still scoot and handle well for a large sedan. And in no way look like a Buick or share its underpinnings.

    The XTS to me looks like a gussied up LaCrosse with an Ipad in the dash.
    Fleetwood didn't have comparable tech. It did not scoot or handle well. It shared underpinnings with Chevys, Buicks, and Oldsmobiles, and it looked like a gussied up Buick with a different dash.

    The only thing you have is it was big. That was great 40 years ago, but in the modern world, that's not necessarily sought after. Even today's big luxury production cars aren't all that big.

    The Fleetwood is the LAST thing Cadillac should want to recall while developing for this market. They shouldn't be playing with a past failed model from a different era as a template. They are doing the right thing (for now) - they are emulating the current and modern successes of other manufacturers, particularly BMW.

  10. #115
    DG2's Avatar
    DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville

    Fleetwood didn't have comparable tech. It did not scoot or handle well. It shared underpinnings with Chevys, Buicks, and Oldsmobiles, and it looked like a gussied up Buick with a different dash.

    The only thing you have is it was big. That was great 40 years ago, but in the modern world, that's not necessarily sought after. Even today's big luxury production cars aren't all that big.

    The Fleetwood is the LAST thing Cadillac should want to recall while developing for this market. They shouldn't be playing with a past failed model from a different era as a template. They are doing the right thing (for now) - they are emulating the current and modern successes of other manufacturers, particularly BMW.
    The best part of what Cadillac has done ( starting with original '03 CTS ) is have original style. While they wisely used BMW as their boggy , Cadillac NEVER copied BMW. That's really what I admire most about this wonderful Cadillac comeback, originality. There is no mistaking a Cadillac fit any other car period. You cannot say the same on the other brands.

    Now, when the 2014 CTS cones out next year please bring back that great Led Zepplin " rock $ roll" theme song !!

  11. #116
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,677
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS man33

    This is more or less what I heard from my Caddy dealer. I saw another XTS at a different Cadillac dealer. The genreal manager was driving a white luxo model. He asked me if I wanted one since he saw me getting out of my DTS I told him "hell no!" I told how I feel about the stying and that I was at the dealer looking at a nice pre-owned 2011 Platinum DTS. He said he thought the XTS should of been a Buick not a Cadillac and this feedback is coming from Cadillac sales people and upper dealer management! Oldcaddybuyer you hit everything dead on and as far as Bigjimshow's comment about the DTS being a Lucerne clone, sure they had the same platforms but no way were they clones on the outside. Not even close dude. Maybe the interior was somewhat close to the DTS I will give you that but not the exterior.
    The difference between the Lucerne and DTS is the same as the LaCrosse to the XTS. Except the XTS has a broader range of options and a much better ride.

    You're right, the Lucerne did look quite a bit better than the DTS...

  12. #117
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,677
    Quote Originally Posted by hueterm
    The DTS is essentially an 18 year old design, and one that still holds considerable appeal for some (myself included). The fact that the XTS does not blow it out of the water in every respect proves that it's not a replacement. It fits a different niche.

    There is not an enormous difference between a '94 Concours and a 2011 DTS. If Cadillac hadn't been either lazy or broke or pandering to the greens or Gov't -- and had radically transformed it in 2000, and again in 2006, and again in 2012 -- we'd have our "Omega", and the argument would never have had to take place.
    Agreed. The only thing that makes my 2011 Town Car L seem less antiquated is parking it next to a DTS...

  13. #118
    hueterm's Avatar
    hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bentonville, AR
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,090

    Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

    LaCrosse is even smaller than XTS, if that's possible.

    What do you plan to drive after your Town Car? Say what you want about the DTS, but at least your typical alpha male businessman client's shoulders won't be brushing up against his subordinate's -- and he can keep his briefcase in the back seat -- unlike the XTS.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

    PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

    NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

  14. #119
    MAC27000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    70
    Posts
    10

    Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

    My '07 STS has a 320 hp V-8. The XTS has a V-6 with an advertised 302 hp. Unless you are taking the vehicle to a drag strip, 302 is plenty of power. If you need more, go get a CTS-V with the 556 hp powerplant. After sitting in an XTS (no test drive), I not only fell in love, I fell in lust with it too. As soon as the silver Premium model with Adaptive Cruise Control comes out... I'm sure I can find a bank that will allow me to drive it for them.

  15. #120
    DTS man33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, Had 2000 Deville DTS and 2003 Deville DTS
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    36
    Posts
    83

    Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    The difference between the Lucerne and DTS is the same as the LaCrosse to the XTS. Except the XTS has a broader range of options and a much better ride.

    You're right, the Lucerne did look quite a bit better than the DTS...
    LMAO... You and only you Bigjimsho would think the Lucurne looked better then the DTS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting