The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just saw an XTS Platinum on the road in St. Paul, MN. Definitely striking in person, in motion......
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

Just saw an XTS Platinum on the road in St. Paul, MN. Definitely striking in person, in motion...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by morley2
    I just seen one at my dealer yest
    Am I correct the the only power is a 3.6 L V6
    Seems limiting
    Roomy but no where near my cts v
    Why are you comparing the two? That's nuts.

GEORGEC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 DHS

I have seen the new XTS and have sat in it but did not drive it. Was waiting for my wife to be back in town for driving.

I do not see anything special in the exterior looks. The interior is nice and the drivers seat very comfortable. The leg room in the back is good with the drivers seat set to my 6' frame. Actually the back leg room is probably better than in my 2005 Deville/DHS.

I think if I get one of these I am going to miss the Northstar V-8 in my current DHS. It is so quiet and smooth plus good economy at 27 to 28 mpg at 75-80 mph cruise.

The big complaint that I have at this time is that the XTS trunk is so much smaller than the DHS. I did the golf club fit in the XTS and it was not good.

George

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

George, please see my reply to your similar post under XTS vs Lincoln.

LS3 MN6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    In case you missed it in another discussion, Cadillac Tony said, "Cadillac is very adamant that this car is NOT a replacement for the DTS and STS- it is an all new product aimed at a different market segment.".

So... Discuss?
    My opinion is that it's a DTS replacement.

I think the STS was squeezed out by the ATS, since now the CTS has to move somewhere. Compare published 2013 ATS specs to 2012 CTS specs.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Exclamation Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

just because there is no DTS anymore and the XTS is the closest thing to a DTS that Cadillac currently offers does not mean that it's the replacement for the DTS ... a new DTS would have been a replacement for the DTS ...

opinions do not have anything to do with it - Cadillac has said what this car is and what it is not (at least intended to be) and that pretty much settles it

owners can replace one car with another and that's something that people do all the time... you replace a yukon with an escalade for instance or you trade in your malibu for a lucerne ... the XTS can be your replacement for your DTS but you cannot tell Cadillac that it is their replacement for the DTS
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

I was talking with some of the salesmen at the Caddy Dealer downtown. They are worried about the direction Cadillac has taken with the large car segment. It seems Cadillac has positioned the XTS to be the 'happy medium' amongst disenfranchised Seville/STS and Deville/DTS customers. According to them, customers are not buying into that philosophy.

I don't believe the XTS is a STS/DTS replacement. I believe it is the product of uncertainty that GM was in at the time. Having a FWD in the line-up is great and the tech is superb, but it should be revamped to have V8 as an option and not share a Buick frame. It should be the modern concept of a Deville. I don't mean it should look the same as a '05 or '11 or emulate any car of the past, but that's the position is should hold in the line-up. Call it whatever you like but it should have adequate interior space and have a few trims such as Base model V6 FWD optional V8 w/MRC or AWD. And it should look like a Cadillac. Not a Buick LaCrosse, Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES350, etc.

A flagship is needed above the XTS and it should be the equivalent to a Fleetwood of the modern era. It would have to compete with the LS460, S Class, and 7 series. The ATS looks to edge out the CTS for entry level. The CTS will grow larger in '14 and essentially be a STS successor. Add in a touring coupe with an optional convertible and you have a proper car line-up.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

oldcaddybuyer,

you do know that GM/Cadillac is currently working on the 'omega' flagship vehicle, right? it will be a large RWD luxury sedan with more power than a v6 and possibly based off of the Ciel concept (well at least inspired by the concept)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer View Post
    I was talking with some of the salesmen at the Caddy Dealer downtown. They are worried about the direction Cadillac has taken with the large car segment. It seems Cadillac has positioned the XTS to be the 'happy medium' amongst disenfranchised Seville/STS and Deville/DTS customers. According to them, customers are not buying into that philosophy.

I don't believe the XTS is a STS/DTS replacement. I believe it is the product of uncertainty that GM was in at the time. Having a FWD in the line-up is great and the tech is superb, but it should be revamped to have V8 as an option and not share a Buick frame. It should be the modern concept of a Deville. I don't mean it should look the same as a '05 or '11 or emulate any car of the past, but that's the position is should hold in the line-up. Call it whatever you like but it should have adequate interior space and have a few trims such as Base model V6 FWD optional V8 w/MRC or AWD. And it should look like a Cadillac. Not a Buick LaCrosse, Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES350, etc.

A flagship is needed above the XTS and it should be the equivalent to a Fleetwood of the modern era. It would have to compete with the LS460, S Class, and 7 series. The ATS looks to edge out the CTS for entry level. The CTS will grow larger in '14 and essentially be a STS successor. Add in a touring coupe with an optional convertible and you have a proper car line-up.
    There's a review in the Detroit Free Press today that speaks to much of what has been mentioned in this thread.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012080...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer

Have you ever heard of the Buick Lucerne?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer View Post

A flagship is needed above the XTS and it should be the equivalent to a Fleetwood of the modern era.
    Equivalent in what way? The Fleetwood wasn't a flagship, nor was it capable of being one. In the RWD days, it was just a gussied up Sedan Deville. In the modern era, it was a dinosaur parts bin car. Historically, it was a low tech, poor performing large car on the lower end of Cadillac's pricing spectrum.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

LS3 MN6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Yep the DTS was a Buick clone already.

Also this supposed RWD Cadillac Flagship is going to get a V8 from where? They certainly can't use an SBC in a Cadillac Flagship. A CTS-V is one thing, but a boulevard cruiser won't sell with that type of engine.

I'd be shocked if any non-performance GM car in the next 10 years has a V8.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    oldcaddybuyer,

you do know that GM/Cadillac is currently working on the 'omega' flagship vehicle, right? it will be a large RWD luxury sedan with more power than a v6 and possibly based off of the Ciel concept (well at least inspired by the concept)
    Yes. And rumored to be working on a large flagship for quite a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Yes.

Have you ever heard of the Buick LaCrosse?

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Equivalent in what way? The Fleetwood wasn't a flagship, nor was it capable of being one. In the RWD days, it was just a gussied up Sedan Deville. In the modern era, it was a dinosaur parts bin car. Historically, it was a low tech, poor performing large car on the lower end of Cadillac's pricing spectrum.
    I mean the size, a V8, RWD, etc. You knew it was a Cadillac. I don't mean to use any specs from it or recreate it. It should have comparable technology to that of LS460, S Class, 7 Series. Big enough to be a freeway cruiser but still scoot and handle well for a large sedan. And in no way look like a Buick or share its underpinnings.

The XTS to me looks like a gussied up LaCrosse with an Ipad in the dash.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

The new GM DI V-8's are close to production, with a goal of power and increased fuel economy; the deviations will probably by used for trucks, the Corvette, Camaro and perhaps the new Caddy. Conjecture and speculation are conjecture and speculation (but does provide for some lively 'bench racing').

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by C&C
    The new GM DI V-8's are close to production, with a goal of power and increased fuel economy; the deviations will probably by used for trucks, the Corvette, Camaro and perhaps the new Caddy. Conjecture and speculation are conjecture and speculation (but does provide for some lively 'bench racing').
    True. I read that the C7 Corvette is first in line to have the be V8. I also have been criticle of the XTS having the 6 but as I think about it the 6 cylinder engine is only 15 hp she of my Northstar V8 in my STS and that same six powers the Buick Enclave, Traverse, Arcadia. More I think about it that six seem just fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.