The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I agree highly with Tulsavic......esp names like Eldorado to me that says luxury...
    BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    I agree highly with Tulsavic......esp names like Eldorado to me that says luxury

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    I actually like the name change. To me, it symbolized a modernization of the line. And the acronyms still had the original name in it. I'm just wondering what the X in XTS stands for.

jock82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: The Cadillac XTS is NOT a DTS or STS replacement

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    Yes it is. Let's be real. The DTS was aimed at the older Caddy buyers and the STS was designed for the younger ones. I think the new XTS is very nice and fits a need for Cadillac. The DTS drivers will love it as will the STS owners However , if someone wants more "German" type of handling car the the CTS sedan or coupe is perfect.

With this said I own a STS and will wait to see if GMs new V8 makes it into next years XTS.
    As a current DTS owner and Cadillac enthusiasts for over 55 years, Cadillac finally has nothing in their lineup that I would buy. I hate this car. I have 3 Cadillacs now and this DTS will probably be my last if they can't do any better than this thing.
    texmaster and texmaster like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Looks like you're not their demographic. Enjoy Buick.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic
    Interesting, though, that Chevrolet has no problem keeping the Impala and Malibu name. And Buick, with a fleet of new cars, has seen fit to name them as oppose to initial them. Maybe Cadillac thought they could attract more MB and BMW owners if they used letters, kind of like what Lincoln is doing. They should have aimed higher, like at Rolls-Royce and Bentley, who still name their vehicles and haven't suffered much doing so.....
    They could use names, like Ciel. Just as long as its not dinosaur names like Brougham and DeVille...

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    They could use names, like Ciel. Just as long as its not dinosaur names like Brougham and DeVille...
    Absolutely. I can't think of a word that more closely brings to mind the image of a luxury sedan than "Sky".

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post
    I actually like the name change. To me, it symbolized a modernization of the line. And the acronyms still had the original name in it. I'm just wondering what the X in XTS stands for.
    The car was known internally as xTS, until one day, Bob Lutz walked in and said "I like the name XTS, so we'll name it that". That's how the Cadillac XTS's name was chosen.

Marco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

While I like the XTS for what it is, I'm saddened that Cadillac has removed a full size car from it's lineup with no replacement for it.

Saw the 2nd ad for the XTS today, touting some pulsing seat that warns when obstacles behind the rear of the car! Whoopdeefrickendo!
    The voice-over guy states that Mercedes E-Class does not have this remarkable technology!
    E-Class is a mkt competitor to XTS now?
    I like ROOM in my Caddy, for front AND rear passengers...and a decent trunk to boot. (meh)
    I saw an interview with an engineer for this, whatever it is..(CTS slightly bigger brother) and he stated that plans were on the books for a suitable replacement for the Deville/DTS line until the financial crisis hit and projects had to be scaled back or eliminated...that's where the DTS went.
    Damn shame.
    Looks like I'll be upgrading to a lightly used DTS once the Deville's wheels fall off.

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Marco, don't rule it out until you've seen it in person. It is slightly narrower inside than DeVille/DTS, but I've got 4 inches between my driver's seat and the door that I don't use, except for a jug of water on long trips. If you don't like the beanish shape, the next CTS should have a more traditional long hood with trunk look and more rear room than the current model.

The RWD fullsize replacement for the DTS & the new Cadillac V8 were cancelled soon after the new CAFE law was passed at the end of 2007, if I remember correctly. Money was tight, but it was the expectation of a shrinking market that killed them, not the Panic of '08. It turns out the complex new CAFE calculations aren't as onerous as once feared.

droptopron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '10 3.0 AWD Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post

With this said I own a STS and will wait to see if GMs new V8 makes it into next years XTS.
    it will still have FWD bones and a transverse engine. This car is a stop gap & a step in the wrong direction.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Just some opinions:
    1. FWD: Get over it. From a handling standpoint, 99.9999999% of the people who will buy this car will never notice the difference between FWD and RWD. If you live in a place that gets more than one flake of snow in winter, you're MUCH better off with FWD than with any RWD with the most sophisticated stability control system (speaking as one who owned a 2005 300C and was terrified of driving it in Tulsa winter weather).

2. AWD: Is a fetish. It's like those people who claim Starbucks coffee is really worth the price. Unless you're going off road, FWD with snow tires will take you in and out of anywhere you want to go. Just don't be stupid about it. Why buy the mechanical complication that you really don't need--and let's be honest, you really don't need it for where this car is going to be taken.

3. V6: I love the sound and smoothness of a V8. But if the V6 will give me enough omff to safely get on the interstate AND give me better mileage than the N*, then I'm fine with it. Maybe Cadillac should install some kind of sound enhancement system that makes the V6 sound like a
    V8.

4. CUE: I chuckle when I read how the auto press just trips over themselves with this touch screen stuff. I owned a '86 Riviera with probably the first iteration of a touch screen info center and at the time, ALL the auto press called is a distracting gimmick. So what does that make CUE? Give me a set of gages I can read in all lighting conditions and a/c and radio controls that are a one reach, one click, setup and I'm happy. A car's dashboard is not suppose to be a video game. And those that claim they need Bluetooth and Greenear and every other "linking" system in their car because the world revolves around them, well, try not using any of that and see if day turns to night and the world as we know it comes to an end....

5. The XTS is not exactly the best looking car on the road. But it does look like a Cadillac...and it sure beats the Lincoln MKS in my opinion. Cadillac is just not going to turn the heads of those who are brainwashed into thinking if it's German it's better, regardless. But it may take a few who shop Japanese and that's goodness. If I needed a car, it would be on my radar screen. But it's just not exciting enough to be a gotta-have. For now, my '08 is just fine.....

Garymonnecka is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    While I like the XTS for what it is, I'm saddened that Cadillac has removed a full size car from it's lineup with no replacement for it.

Saw the 2nd ad for the XTS today, touting some pulsing seat that warns when obstacles behind the rear of the car! Whoopdeefrickendo!
    The voice-over guy states that Mercedes E-Class does not have this remarkable technology!
    E-Class is a mkt competitor to XTS now?
    I like ROOM in my Caddy, for front AND rear passengers...and a decent trunk to boot. (meh)
    I saw an interview with an engineer for this, whatever it is..(CTS slightly bigger brother) and he stated that plans were on the books for a suitable replacement for the Deville/DTS line until the financial crisis hit and projects had to be scaled back or eliminated...that's where the DTS went.
    Damn shame.
    Looks like I'll be upgrading to a lightly used DTS once the Deville's wheels fall off.
    Have you even seen the car? The front seats can be all the way back and I still have plenty of room. (6'0" 210) there's plenty of room in this car. The trunk could literally fit 2-3 people, it's a damn big trunk if you ask me. The extra room in the back of the DTS was a waste anyway, no one needs a foot and a half between their knees and a fully back front seat. The XTS is a better car in every single aspect, whether you like the technology or not. And every detail has been paid attention to. The DTS was a dinosaur. The northstar in it was ancient and underproducing. That's why those cars are gone.

texmaster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    In case you missed it in another discussion, Cadillac Tony said, "Cadillac is very adamant that this car is NOT a replacement for the DTS and STS- it is an all new product aimed at a different market segment.".

So... Discuss?

And Cadillac Tony is 100% correct. Its just an enlarged CTS. If I wanted a cheap European sports car I would buy one not a copy of one. You buy Cadillac for the luxury and smooth ride not the choppy sports car. And before anyone says anything I've owned Cadillacs my entire life since I was 16. 6 in all. GM is killing the brand and surrendering to European sports cars. Cadillac died as a signature brand with the last DTS rolled out in 2011. Now they are just like everyone else

texmaster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by jock82 View Post
    As a current DTS owner and Cadillac enthusiasts for over 55 years, Cadillac finally has nothing in their lineup that I would buy. I hate this car. I have 3 Cadillacs now and this DTS will probably be my last if they can't do any better than this thing.
    Amen brother. I'm 35 and couldn't agree more.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

I think it would be interesting to see, if Cadillac sold both the DTS and the XTS (and advertised/promoted them equally), which one would sell more... Considering the age of the platform, if the XTS didn't mop the floor w/the DTS in terms of sales, it could be viewed in some ways as a failure.

The XTS is growing on me, but it would have to have the TT6 before I'd consider one. I'm not going to get rid of my 300HP N* to get a 300HP V6. However, I would like to see one with the caramel/black color interior -- that does look sharp.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.