Help me decide: Cadillac XTS or Chrysler 300 Limited Luxury Series
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Help me decide: Cadillac XTS or Chrysler 300 Limited Luxury Series in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'll wait until late May / June when the XTS comes out to test drive one, but until I do, ...
    linus809 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Help me decide: Cadillac XTS or Chrysler 300 Limited Luxury Series

I'll wait until late May / June when the XTS comes out to test drive one, but until I do, I was wondering if anyone wanted to weigh in on this topic to help shape my thinking.

I've never driven a Caddy with Magnetic Ride Control, so if anyone can describe how the ride might be compared to the Chrysler, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not the type of guy who needs raw power (otherwise I'd go for the 300C SRT8 or CTS-V). Instead, my emphasis is on refinement, crisp handling, quality interior, comfort while driving on the highway.

Interestingly, I would get the RWD Chrysler or the AWD XTS. (I just can't let myself get a FWD in a car as upscale as the Cadillac.)

Chrysler:
    - 8 speed getting 30+ mph on the highway
    - very good sound deadening materials, with acoustic glass
    - their luxury series leather interior looks very nice

Cadillac:
    - quality interior
    - i think the build quality will be better than the Chrysler
    - better instrumentation/controls (even without the CUE) than the Chrysler's 8.4 inch screen

I look forward to hearing your comments/insights.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

Re: Help me decide: Cadillac XTS or Chrysler 300 Limited Luxury Series

Very different cars. The Chrysler is really a "near luxury car", not a "luxury" car like the Cadillac. As such, the Cadillac looks to have a nicer interior than the Chrysler, and will have some features and technology that the Chrysler won't offer, such as CUE. The Cadillac will also likely be more expensive, too. Neither car will be true state of the art, however. The Chrysler is still based on the Mercedes E-Class platform that dates back to the '90s, and wasn't exactly state of the art then. It has been updated, but in terms of driving dynamics, it's clearly not a world class sport sedan. It is relatively unique in being a large car with rear wheel drive, and loaded it's half the price of base MB S-Class, BMW 7 Series, and Jag XJ. It's only real competition is the Dodge Charger, which is less upscale and cheaper. The Pontiac G8 might have been a competitor, and a civilian version of the Caprice might compete of they made it suitably plush, but that's it. The XTS is based on the same platform as the Buick Lacrosse, and as such, isn't really state of the art, either. However, the HyPer strut suspension with the MagnaRide shocks may significantly improve the ride and handling, and the Brembo brakes should help braking, too. Please be aware that it was designed as a FWD car, and the AWD only kicks in when the front wheels lose traction. It will not drive like a RWD car, and it will add weight, which will adversely affect gas mileage. It may be quicker off the line, but eventually will accelerate slower at high speeds, due to the weight and added friction. It's really for inclement weather, not performance, and won't drive like an Audi Quattro, or Subaru, or Mitsubishi EVO, which are rear drive biased. I think the Lincoln MKS is also FWD biased. Not sure about the Taurus SHO, but it hasn't been that well received, either. Both the Lincoln and the Ford are based on the original Volvo S 80 platform, which was hardly state of the art when it debuted, either. The Epsilon II is an extensive update of the original, but it's probably the most modern of the bunch. The MagnaRide shocks are truly state of the art, BTW, and let my sharp handling CTS-V ride better over broken pavement than the softest, base CTS. Really good stuff.

Cadillac has been associated with FWD since 1967, when the FWD Eldorado debuted, and it has been FWD until it's demise. The Seville switched to FWD in the early '80s, as did the mainsteam large cars. right up to the recently discontinued DTS. The Allante was also FWD. Cadillac has thus been associated with FWD for 45 years. That's not to defend FWD, just a statement of fact. If you prefer RWD, the XTS may not be for you, though it may drive surprisingly well for it's ilk.

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by linus809
    I'll wait until late May / June when the XTS comes out to test drive one, but until I do, I was wondering if anyone wanted to weigh in on this topic to help shape my thinking.

I've never driven a Caddy with Magnetic Ride Control, so if anyone can describe how the ride might be compared to the Chrysler, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not the type of guy who needs raw power (otherwise I'd go for the 300C SRT8 or CTS-V). Instead, my emphasis is on refinement, crisp handling, quality interior, comfort while driving on the highway.

Interestingly, I would get the RWD Chrysler or the AWD XTS. (I just can't let myself get a FWD in a car as upscale as the Cadillac.)

Chrysler:

Cadillac:
    - quality interior
    - better instrumentation/controls (even without the CUE) than the Chrysler's 8.4 inch screen

Thanks.
    Answer=Cadillac

No question

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

You also at least owe it to yourself to drive a 2013 MKS. Not state of the art, but a worthy option, especially with the ecoboost engine. Like the SHO, Available in FWD or AWD as well. To me, more comparable to the Cadillac than the 300 is.

linus809 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thanks @marktanner for your insight. Based on what you posted, I'll retract my position regarding FWD. I agree that the 300 is "near luxury", which is one reason I'm ever so hesitant to purchase it, especially since I currently drive a CTS. It's a 2009 model, manual shift, Performance Trim with the FE3 suspension. I love it, but when I drive it I really want to drive it like it was built to be driven, i.e., fast and hard. Living in NYC, that's a bit difficult, and having recently gotten a speeding ticket, when I drive out of town on the highway, I tone it down.

Plus, I'm no longer a young dude, so I figure it's time to get something a little more sedate for me and the fam, without sacrificing too much, if at all, on the luxury side. My budget is in the area of $40k - $50k, hence the XTS, whose base starts at $44k. I considered getting a new automatic CTS with the softer suspension, but two things are holding me back: i) I don't want to get one now as it will most likely get a refresh in the next year, and ii) my right knee bumps up against the well, which I find annoying at times.

One thing I've been wondering about is that the XTS has a shorter wheelbase than the CTS, yet is longer and has more room. Anything to note on that end with respect to drivability?

@TSS, if only the Lincoln design appealed to me, then I'd consider it, but unfortunately I look at the car and have no positive visceral reaction.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Obviously, I've never driven an XTS, but have owned Devilles and now a 2010 DTS. 6 months ago I tried out a 300 Limited. Had all the bells and whistles, actually more than most Cadillacs have, but was disappointed with the ride. I thought RWD would feel much better after many years of FWD, but in all honesty it rode like the 07 Impala we used to own. Not real bad, but no where near Cadillac quality. My 2 cents.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by linus809 View Post
    @TSS, if only the Lincoln design appealed to me, then I'd consider it, but unfortunately I look at the car and have no positive visceral reaction.
    I fully understand, you need to "feel" love for the car when you are spending hard earned money. Keep us posted.

p.s. While bland styling generally, bigger factory wheels and tint do spice it up, just a little.

ddawson is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Please buy the Cadillac XTS. It's a no brainer. Cadillac, Cadillac, Cadillac.

HansK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 Blue Chip

I bought a very early production 300 (the new body style arrived on the lot and I ordered one) and I currently own a early model '08 CTS. While I feel that my CTS is much nicer, it has required so much more attention from the dealer that I would be hard pressed to recommend ordering a new model from Cadillac before they work out the problems. I sold the 300 to my brother and he still hasn't had any maintenance problems with it. My situation is by no means scientific or a representation of both models as a whole but it's something to think about, the first few months of '08 CTS seem to have had a lot of problems compared to later models. On the other hand, there is no comparison for the luxury and technology of a 300 to the XTS. I would go with the XTS, but I would wait a few months before ordering.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I really appreciated the great, constructive feedback from everyone on this thread. Naturally, I'm going to support the Cadillac XTS option for linus809!

Linus809, I'm happy to see you're going to be thorough and test drive the XTS when it hits your local dealerships. From the information I've seen so far, the XTS delivers the space, elegance, and dynamic presence that are Cadillac's signature. You're right about its interior being quality; I see the XTS offers more interior space than midsize luxury cars and is comparable to full-size sedans, particularly in the rear seat area, where it has 40 inches of rear legroom. (And it comes with innovative safety features such as the Safety Alert Seat that vibrates to alert the driver.) If you'd like me to elaborate or have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Happy car shopping,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

DTS man33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, Had 2000 Deville DTS and 2003 Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by linus809 View Post

Chrysler:

Cadillac:
    - quality interior

Thanks.
    Linus809, I would say this. Most of the people in this forum think Cadillac can do no wrong so of course they will tell you to buy it. I have owned 5 Cadillac’s in my short life, an 84 and 85 Fleetwood Coupe a 2000 and 03 Deville DTS and a 06 DTS. I love Cadillac as much as many of the people in here however I am not shot down with the XTS at all. In my opinion its a bit too small and narrow. You have a much longer wheelbase in the 300 and it looks to be a bigger inside as well. The XTS is about 3 inches longer then the 300 but has a much shorter wheelbase. The 300's in the past looked like crap both inside and out but I have a friend that just bought a 2011 and they made a lot of improvements. I will say while you wait for the XTS to hit the lots check out the 2012 Buick Lacrosse. It rides on the same platform as the XTS and has similar dimensions except for a bigger trunk in the XTS. I do not care what anyone says on here in my opinion the XTS is also a "near luxury" car due to the fact it shares all available features with the ATS, SRX and soon to be newly designed CTS plus it shares its platform with the Lacrosse and the new 2014 Impala. Options wise the XTS is bit better then the 300 however they are close in terms of options and features. Hey Katie I am still waiting for a bunch of info I asked you about as well on the XTS and so far have heard nothing back

With all that being said I would still pick the XTS over the 300 overall. Just because of Cadillac's excellent quilty not beacuse I like the XTS which I don't. All of my Cadillacs even the old ones never gave me any seruis troubles. They were all great cars. All dealings with my 2 Cadillac dealers were always very positive too and never had any disputes. I really do not like Chrysler in terms of all the troubles and quility control issues they have had in the recent past. So the 300 would be off my list anyways. Just figured I would give my 2 cents also. Good Luck !!

TulsaVic is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

I think of the 300 as a Buick competitor, not really Cadillac. But then I see the XTS as a Buick Lucerne competitor too. I liked my '05 300C but it did not have the luxury feel of the DTS. If you're going to consider the Chrysler, have a look at the new Toyoto Avalon. It's been a fairly unpleasant looking car in the past. But the 2013 model (supposedly available around Nov 2012) looks more Lexus than Toyota. You do kind of have to get past the strange Mazda front end. But generally it's at least as attractive as the XTS. And typically you can't beat the Avalon's interior space.

nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li

the cadillac xts is a Chevy impalla platform..
    so actually u pay extra for the Impala..
    and the 300c base on Mercedes E-class ...much better..
    RWD..

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Yeah, more than a decade old Mercedes.

joeedoran is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade

Keep in mind that at launch, The Cadillac Awareness package ( forward collision alert, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic detection ) is available. The Driver Assist Package ( automatic braking, adaptive cruise control and auto collision preparation ) is not available until the fall. Both packages come with the drivers alert seat. My information comes from Car & Driver.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.