Help me decide: Cadillac XTS or Chrysler 300 Limited Luxury Series - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Help me decide: Cadillac XTS or Chrysler 300 Limited Luxury Series in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I did see an SRT8 with the Luxury Interior option. Lots of leather, but maybe not as high a grade ...
    DavidNJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Help me decide: Cadillac XTS or Chrysler 300 Limited Luxury Series

I did see an SRT8 with the Luxury Interior option. Lots of leather, but maybe not as high a grade as I had expected. They put lots of functions into the 8.4" display. There are no radio buttons and you need to navigate 3 levels of menus, after the the display boots, to set seat heat or ventilation. The display is high up (good) but has not brow to protect it from the sun causing a slightly washed out look at times.

In the XTS the display seems a little lower (bad) but appears to have a slight brow (good). It has the seat heat/vent controls in buttons (good) but like the 300 no radio buttons (bad).

DavidNJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is a link to some XTS videos from GM: http://www.videoatgm.com/videos/us/e.../1613922188001

It has some clever features. The trunk is large but has a very small opening. In the video, notice how close the size is to the small dimension on the golf bags. It has most of the current features. It appears the warning are all passive; lane departure and blind spot are active on many cars in this price class. The active cruise seems 1 or 2 generations behind the current MB, BMW, and Audi offerings. The cross path detection is leading edge. Only a few other brands have heads up displays.

The first road tests will be interesting. For me, GM closed the good Cadillac and GMC dealers near me, leaving a Cadillac dealer featuring CTS sedans with Vogue whitewall tires, as if he was selling Eldorados to an inner city crowd in the in the 1970s. The GMC dealer remaining has the highest cost, lowest service service department I've visited in the past 20 years. The good Cadillac dealer who lost his franchise is now a Kia dealer who has troubles keeping the hot models in stock.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Shame on Cadillac for not having a rear drive platform and a V8 eight for the top-of-the-line XTS. With that said. Buy the Cadillac ! No comparison.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Can we PLEASE stop with the name calling? Please?!

Quote Originally Posted by linus809 View Post
    I'll wait until late May / June when the XTS comes out to test drive one, but until I do, I was wondering if anyone wanted to weigh in on this topic to help shape my thinking.

I've never driven a Caddy with Magnetic Ride Control, so if anyone can describe how the ride might be compared to the Chrysler, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not the type of guy who needs raw power (otherwise I'd go for the 300C SRT8 or CTS-V). Instead, my emphasis is on refinement, crisp handling, quality interior, comfort while driving on the highway.

Interestingly, I would get the RWD Chrysler or the AWD XTS. (I just can't let myself get a FWD in a car as upscale as the Cadillac.)

Chrysler:
    - 8 speed getting 30+ mph on the highway
    - very good sound deadening materials, with acoustic glass
    - their luxury series leather interior looks very nice

Cadillac:
    - quality interior
    - i think the build quality will be better than the Chrysler
    - better instrumentation/controls (even without the CUE) than the Chrysler's 8.4 inch screen

I look forward to hearing your comments/insights.

Thanks.
    I just drove a 2012 Chrysler 300 for about five days as a rental. It's a really nice car. I owned a 2007 300C and the interior is a MAJOR improvement over the first generation. Road/wind noise is also MUCH improved. The interior is a nice place to be and the car does ride very nicely. The only 300 I'd consider taking over a Cadillac XTS is the 300C or SRT-8. The power is very nice in either of those vehicles. If we're talking about the V6, I'd probably take the DTS over it. The only thing I don't like about the DTS is the turning radius. Otherwise, it's just a better car (to me).

I expect the XTS to be a better DTS in almost every way. The only issue is power.

If you want a car that's more luxurious than sporty, than take the XTS. If you want more sport than luxury, take the 300. Now you probably think I'm biased because I'm an administrator here. Take a look at some of my posts in the past and you'll find that I'm VERY far from biased. That being said, if the decision were mine - either leaning toward sport or luxury - I'd pick the FWD XTS every time. Now if you were comparing a new 300C, it would take a little more time for me to make a decision. Again, I like powerful cars - but neither the XTS nor the 300 are powerful. So all you're left with is luxury anyway. Buy the Cadillac XTS...

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post
    I think of the 300 as a Buick competitor, not really Cadillac. But then I see the XTS as a Buick Lucerne competitor too. I liked my '05 300C but it did not have the luxury feel of the DTS. If you're going to consider the Chrysler, have a look at the new Toyoto Avalon. It's been a fairly unpleasant looking car in the past. But the 2013 model (supposedly available around Nov 2012) looks more Lexus than Toyota. You do kind of have to get past the strange Mazda front end. But generally it's at least as attractive as the XTS. And typically you can't beat the Avalon's interior space.
    The Avalon is a very nice car as well... Can't argue with that at all...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

southsider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 DTS

Just happen to drive a 300 last week. Nice ride, but would not want to be stuck in the back seat. No room at all. Need to see what the XTS will have.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    No room in a 300? You sure it wasn't a 200??

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The CTS-V may be a world-beater, but Cadillac is no Mercedes-Benz.

MB spans a wider range of market segments. You have everything from the lowly A-class to the SLS to the Unimog to freight trucks. Cadillac has the ATS but peaks with the Escalade and XTS. There's no exotic Cadillac on the market, nothing that's a zero-compromise car like the SLS Roadster or the AMG Black Series.

Mercedes-Benz is a massive part of Daimler AG, itself a transportation empire. Cadillac has been GM's afterthought since 1979.

If you want to compare C-class and E-class AMG-level models to the CTS-V or STS-V, then that makes sense. But as far as brands go, MB has global prestige.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Who cares?
    JimmyH and JimmyH like this.

balboa117 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS
    Buy the Cadillac XTS...class vs cookie cutter..

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Mercedes blah, blah, blah....

So Mercedes has advanced engineering and features. It damn well better for what you pay for them. And forget about owning one beyond the warranty. There's a reason you see very few old German cars on the road. Well, maybe old Audis, back when they were simpler and reasonably priced.

BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    All I bought were Mercedes before and they are the worse! And like JimmyH said forget owning one when it's off warranty.....long story short , I had one that was a year off warranty and it was going to cost me $8k to fix, needless to say that's when I bought the escalade.

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Please get rid of this topic.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I'll get right on that.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Lulz.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Cadillacdts01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 cadillac deville, 2001 cadillac dts
    I had a 2003 Mercedes cl600 all I can say is if you think repairing a cadillac is expensive on parts and repairing then a Mercedes would make you go bankrupt

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.