Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2013 Cadillac XTS Production Delayed 4-6 Weeks

13K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Blake 
#1 ·
Sorry for the bad news, those of you looking to buy a 2013 Cadillac XTS are going to have to wait a bit longer. Production has been delayed. If I learn more, I'll post it here...

#3 ·
They can postpone it indefinitely, if they can scrape together a V8 and another foot of interior room...

#5 ·
I'm afraid nobody cares too much anymore.
More and more people see this hideous abomination in person, and are switching from no to hell no.
It may be delayed for 4-6 years for all I care, I certainly won't be buying this.
The Germans never had it this easy.
The only thing that I can find wrong with both of these posts is that they do not contain: IMO.

#6 ·
meniisoc said:
More and more people see this hideous abomination in person, and are switching from no to hell no.
It may be delayed for 4-6 years for all I care, I certainly won't be buying this.
What? Everyone from tech sites to car magazines are excited about the car and like what they see. You guys who think the opinion of 4 outspoken curmudgeons here on CF represent the entire automotive world make me laugh.

#10 ·
meniisoc said:
Your posts are hysterical. I'd love to live in your little fantasy world...

----------

meniisoc said:
You obviously haven't read any European magazines/websites/forums about this car, have you?
Well I have (yes I can read dutch/french/german/spanish), and the Europeans think this car is a joke, and makes THEM laugh.
And someone plays the "I know so much more than you" card again. You may have book smarts, but you must have a hell of a time making friends...

#13 ·
Sal's on to something here... the misinformation and ignorance about the XTS are where most of the criticism comes from...

The XTS is going to be a great car for those that are looking for a car that offers what it does (which is a lot, by the way)
those that require RWD and/or require a V8 are going to have to deal with it, wait for the flagship or go elsewhere

i just wish they would stop incessantly poo-pooing the XTS because it isn't RWD or have a V8 ... in reality only a small niche segment of the automotive buying public cares that much to require those two things in their cars

#14 ·
The reason I DO poopoo it is because I DON'T want to go elsewhere (LS, Equus, Genesis) but am being pushed in that direction by typical GM (both General and Gov't Motors) bureaucratic BS.

#15 ·
Lord Cadillac said:
The problem is - too much of the media is calling this Cadillac's "flagship" model. That's not what it is. When the European media gets a hold of the XTS being touted as Cadillac's "flagship" to "take on the likes of the 7-Series, S-Class and Audi A8", they laugh. The thing is, what are they laughing at? Misinformation...

Cadillac is working on a true premium, full-size, rear wheel drive V8 flagship. This isn't it...
Exactly. If I said the 1M was a joke because it didn't have near the fuel economy or trunk space as a Cruze, I'd be an idiot. Apples and oranges.

#16 ·
So are they not publicizing it because:

A: it may never happen?

B: it's not far enough along yet?

C: they don't want to distract from XTS?

D: all of the above?

#17 ·
Both A and B. You're talking about two different demographics with XTS buyers and flagship buyers.

The flagship will continue to be eternally in development until Cadillac sells 250,000 units in a year. Once the credibility and retail sales volume is restored, a flagship makes sense. No sooner, IMO.

They're on the right track so far with strong CTS and SRX sales (even without a V8- gasp!). Fleet sales are WAY down but overall retail sales are up, meaning Cadillac moved as many units as last year without flooding Enterprise lots with DTS and STS. The ATS and XTS will continue that trend, hopefully leading to a true flagship around 2016.

#18 ·
They're on the right track so far with strong CTS and SRX sales (even without a V8- gasp!).
Even Ford and Chevy sell more Mustangs and Camaros with V6s than V8s. But I wonder if they'd sell as many V6s if there WAS NO V8 version. In other words - I bet a lot of V6 Mustangs and Camaros sell just because of the cool factor associated with them because of the reputation of the V8 models. I think it's the powerful engine that puts some of these cars on a pedestal. Without it, you'll have less sales... I could be wrong.

#20 ·
The buying motivations of college kids and early 20's drivers don't really translate into a high line brand. I'm sure plenty of kids go into the Ford dealer dreaming of a GT, then leave with the V6 after seeing the financial reality.

Here's the question we should be asking: Do you really think Cadillac sells a ton of CTSs because of the V?

I don't. Most people outside the enthusiast circles still don't know what a V is, yet the CTS was their #1 seller until the SRX came along. Same goes for the SRX as well. There's not even a V8 offered in it (or any Cadillac outside the Escalade), so what's driving the record sales of that model? Quality, technology, styling and interior, that's what.

#22 ·
Here's the question we should be asking: Do you really think Cadillac sells a ton of CTSs because of the V?

I don't. Most people outside the enthusiast circles still don't know what a V is, yet the CTS was their #1 seller until the SRX came along. Same goes for the SRX as well. There's not even a V8 offered in it (or any Cadillac outside the Escalade), so what's driving the record sales of that model? Quality, technology, styling and interior, that's what.
I don't think ALL cars sell well because of a V8 option. Look at the Toyota Camry.

BMW made its name on 6 cylinders. And they are going back to that, too.
When the masses get comfortable with V6s that make over 400 horsepower, the V8 won't be so important. Right now, most people are still feeling a V8 is an important engine for a big, heavy luxury car.

I don't think BMW cars got so popular based on power, anyway. I think it's the way they handled that made them so popular. Same with the Miata. That car wasn't fast at all - but I guess it didn't need to be.

I really don't want to debate about this again. I only brought it up because it was already brought up.

even without a V8- gasp!

#21 ·
Lord Cadillac said:
Even Ford and Chevy sell more Mustangs and Camaros with V6s than V8s. But I wonder if they'd sell as many V6s if there WAS NO V8 version. In other words - I bet a lot of V6 Mustangs and Camaros sell just because of the cool factor associated with them because of the reputation of the V8 models. I think it's the powerful engine that puts some of these cars on a pedestal. Without it, you'll have less sales... I could be wrong.
That's a convenient argument. Yet, BMW made its name on sedans with 4 and 6 cylinder power. Even early 7 series had boosted 6s.

In the early 90s, technology was available to make powerful 6s but it was easier to make V8s. The bigger engines were also much more liveable, not strung out like the 3.5 litre 6. Now its not.

BMW made its name on 6 cylinders. And they are going back to that, too.

#23 ·
Lord Cadillac said:
I don't think ALL cars sell well because of a V8 option. Look at the Toyota Camry.

When the masses get comfortable with V6s that make over 400 horsepower, the V8 won't be so important. Right now, most people are still feeling a V8 is an important engine for a big, heavy luxury car.

I don't think BMW cars got so popular based on power, anyway. I think it's the way they handled that made them so popular. Same with the Miata. That car wasn't fast at all - but I guess it didn't need to be.

I really don't want to debate about this again. I only brought it up because it was already brought up.
I can tell you adamantly, as someone who has parents who have had a '72 2002 since new and has been very involved in the BMW way since the 70s, all their big successes were powerful.

The early 2002 had 100hp, which may not seem like much, and was very quick. But it was powerful cars like the 328i, 535i, 635csi, 633csi, M535i, M635csi and then the US spec M cars that made BMW who they are today.

Just ignore Rick and his e...

#25 ·
"Maybe if you tell me the *bad* news in a *good* way, it wouldn't sound so bad." - Prince John, Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Some have commented on the CTS that waiting rather than launching on-time but sacrificing quality can be a good thing. I can't be specific, but suffice it to say that I'm sure that initial quality will be better for the work being done leading up to the launch.

#33 ·
We can hope. I'll stop complaining about the XTS right now, if there is another upcoming option that is bigger and has a V8... The XTS will probably sell well -- look at how many ES350s Lexus sells. But like you said -- it's not worth getting rid of my DTS for...

#34 ·
DTS man33 said:
I agree with you on this statement. I know I heard throgh the grapevine that Cadillac is working on a larger sedan that would class above the XTS but below the Flagship. The car will ride on a TRUE stretched Super Epilison platform and would be the real replacement for the DTS. It will be about 206 in length and be wider the the XTS as well and include a V8. So think XTS(Deville) and ??? (Fleetwood). I dont know how much truth there is in the rumors I heard but it would make sense. GM had been saying that there was room for one more full size car in the Cadillac lineup besides the flagship. A super stretched Eplision platform is most likely in the works anyway for the next -gen LaCrosse.

The XTS seems to be a nice car but I think GM is going to have another car that slots between the XTS and flagship. Time will tell if the rumors or true but I do hope they are since the XTS, while a nice car dose not make me want to trade my DTS in on it. I would just rather get a 2011 DTS. I sure as heck cant afford a $70+ flagship so the case is in point for a car to slot in between.
I don't understand that. The CTS is going to go larger for the next gen. Are they going to have a small ATS, a bigger CTS, a similar XTS, a larger than XTS and them the Ciel? That's awkward...

#35 ·
thebigjimsho said:
I don't understand that. The CTS is going to go larger for the next gen. Are they going to have a small ATS, a bigger CTS, a similar XTS, a larger than XTS and them the Ciel? That's awkward...
I haven't heard anything about a car positioned in between the XTS and Flagship but a "CLS" type vehicle is being considered and maybe that's what he's referring to.

#36 ·
That may be it Lord Caddy. Are you saying that a CLS style car is being considered as cadillac's flagship or are you saying it is on the table below the flagship? That would make sense and is probley what I was hearing. The CLS is pretty darn big. I think it may be bigger then the XTS but not sure on that.

#38 ·
DTS man33 said:
That may be it Lord Caddy. Are you saying that a CLS style car is being considered as cadillac's flagship or are you saying it is on the table below the flagship? That would make sense and is probley what I was hearing. The CLS is pretty darn big. I think it may be bigger then the XTS but not sure on that.
If they make a CLS type Cadillac it'll slot between the CTS and full size flagship. The XTS isn't in the plans to stick around at this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.