2013 Cadillac XTS Production Delayed 4-6 Weeks - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, 2013 Cadillac XTS Production Delayed 4-6 Weeks in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So are they not publicizing it because: A: it may never happen? B: it's not far enough along yet? C: ...
    hueterm is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...
    So are they not publicizing it because:

A: it may never happen?

B: it's not far enough along yet?

C: they don't want to distract from XTS?

D: all of the above?
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Both A and B. You're talking about two different demographics with XTS buyers and flagship buyers.

The flagship will continue to be eternally in development until Cadillac sells 250,000 units in a year. Once the credibility and retail sales volume is restored, a flagship makes sense. No sooner, IMO.

They're on the right track so far with strong CTS and SRX sales (even without a V8- gasp!). Fleet sales are WAY down but overall retail sales are up, meaning Cadillac moved as many units as last year without flooding Enterprise lots with DTS and STS. The ATS and XTS will continue that trend, hopefully leading to a true flagship around 2016.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: 2013 Cadillac XTS Production Delayed 4-6 Weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    They're on the right track so far with strong CTS and SRX sales (even without a V8- gasp!).
    Even Ford and Chevy sell more Mustangs and Camaros with V6s than V8s. But I wonder if they'd sell as many V6s if there WAS NO V8 version. In other words - I bet a lot of V6 Mustangs and Camaros sell just because of the cool factor associated with them because of the reputation of the V8 models. I think it's the powerful engine that puts some of these cars on a pedestal. Without it, you'll have less sales... I could be wrong.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

hueterm is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Even Ford and Chevy sell more Mustangs and Camaros with V6s than V8s. But I wonder if they'd sell as many V6s if there WAS NO V8 version. In other words - I bet a lot of V6 Mustangs and Camaros sell just because of the cool factor associated with them because of the reputation of the V8 models. I think it's the powerful engine that puts some of these cars on a pedestal. Without it, you'll have less sales... I could be wrong.
    You're not.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    The buying motivations of college kids and early 20's drivers don't really translate into a high line brand. I'm sure plenty of kids go into the Ford dealer dreaming of a GT, then leave with the V6 after seeing the financial reality.

Here's the question we should be asking: Do you really think Cadillac sells a ton of CTSs because of the V?

I don't. Most people outside the enthusiast circles still don't know what a V is, yet the CTS was their #1 seller until the SRX came along. Same goes for the SRX as well. There's not even a V8 offered in it (or any Cadillac outside the Escalade), so what's driving the record sales of that model? Quality, technology, styling and interior, that's what.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac

That's a convenient argument. Yet, BMW made its name on sedans with 4 and 6 cylinder power. Even early 7 series had boosted 6s.

In the early 90s, technology was available to make powerful 6s but it was easier to make V8s. The bigger engines were also much more liveable, not strung out like the 3.5 litre 6. Now its not.

BMW made its name on 6 cylinders. And they are going back to that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    Here's the question we should be asking: Do you really think Cadillac sells a ton of CTSs because of the V?

I don't. Most people outside the enthusiast circles still don't know what a V is, yet the CTS was their #1 seller until the SRX came along. Same goes for the SRX as well. There's not even a V8 offered in it (or any Cadillac outside the Escalade), so what's driving the record sales of that model? Quality, technology, styling and interior, that's what.
    I don't think ALL cars sell well because of a V8 option. Look at the Toyota Camry.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    BMW made its name on 6 cylinders. And they are going back to that, too.
    When the masses get comfortable with V6s that make over 400 horsepower, the V8 won't be so important. Right now, most people are still feeling a V8 is an important engine for a big, heavy luxury car.

I don't think BMW cars got so popular based on power, anyway. I think it's the way they handled that made them so popular. Same with the Miata. That car wasn't fast at all - but I guess it didn't need to be.

I really don't want to debate about this again. I only brought it up because it was already brought up.

even without a V8- gasp!
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac

I don't think ALL cars sell well because of a V8 option. Look at the Toyota Camry.

When the masses get comfortable with V6s that make over 400 horsepower, the V8 won't be so important. Right now, most people are still feeling a V8 is an important engine for a big, heavy luxury car.

I don't think BMW cars got so popular based on power, anyway. I think it's the way they handled that made them so popular. Same with the Miata. That car wasn't fast at all - but I guess it didn't need to be.

I really don't want to debate about this again. I only brought it up because it was already brought up.
    I can tell you adamantly, as someone who has parents who have had a '72 2002 since new and has been very involved in the BMW way since the 70s, all their big successes were powerful.

The early 2002 had 100hp, which may not seem like much, and was very quick. But it was powerful cars like the 328i, 535i, 635csi, 633csi, M535i, M635csi and then the US spec M cars that made BMW who they are today.

Just ignore Rick and his e...

WillK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    so may/june instead of april?
    This is exactly what the spokespersons are saying at the auto show. I'll be posting a video shortly, it's in the process of uploading to Youtube.

Sorry for the bad news, those of you looking to buy a 2013 Cadillac XTS are going to have to wait a bit longer. Production has been delayed. If I learn more, I'll post it here...
    "Maybe if you tell me the *bad* news in a *good* way, it wouldn't sound so bad." - Prince John, Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Some have commented on the CTS that waiting rather than launching on-time but sacrificing quality can be a good thing. I can't be specific, but suffice it to say that I'm sure that initial quality will be better for the work being done leading up to the launch.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    What? Everyone from tech sites to car magazines are excited about the car and like what they see. You guys who think the opinion of 4 outspoken curmudgeons here on CF represent the entire automotive world make me laugh.
    agreed, all the car rags are going crazy over it.

Even early 7 series had boosted 6s
    they still do. 740i's get the N55. Oh, I see what you're saying.

At the risk of re-derailing the thread, and not necessarily that these comments are directed specifically at the above response...

I may not be an engine guy, but I am an old car guy (That is to say I'm not old, the cars I'm familiar with are.) So I will point out that in 1953, Corvette was introduced with an in-line 6.

In fact, my thought was that the popularity of the V8 engine dates back to the Ford flathead V8. All the various muscle cars would be V8 engines, so it seems that the association with performance and V8's is understandable in America. An interesting history of gasoline engines can be read here:

http://www.motorera.com/history/hist03.htm

My dad had a '46 Lincoln Continental at one point, with a flathead V12. The V12 was basicly a V8 and a half. At that point in his life, my dad was big on flathead Fords. He tells me that the V12 had the advantage of being smooth. You could set a full coffee cup on it at idle and not spill a drop.

With advances in manufacturing, it isn't really necessary to use more cylinders to achieve smooth idle. Maybe it helps when you're turning 19,000 RPM and can afford the exotic materials, analysis and very very low design margin to cut down the inertia of the moving parts. For production, though, you design the engine's structural elements to live through a lifetime of abuse, so more cylinders means more inertia, otherwise displacement is displacement - so really, as an engineer I don't see that 8 cylinders is essential to performance.

I'm perfectly fine with a one cylinder as long as it's smooth and powerful. Most people seem to have an addiction to the SOUND of a V8 (or bigger). Me, not so much. I don't care if my car sounds like a farting dolphin as I'm passing you.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I'm perfectly fine with a one cylinder as long as it's smooth and powerful. Most people seem to have an addiction to the SOUND of a V8 (or bigger). Me, not so much. I don't care if my car sounds like a farting dolphin as I'm passing you.
    which is ironic, since luxury cars are typically rated by their isolation from powertrain and wind noise..

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    which is ironic, since luxury cars are typically rated by their isolation from powertrain and wind noise..
    Sound isolation INSIDE is still important to me. I just don't care what it sounds like while I'm taking off in front of people who care what the exhaust note sounds like.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.