Alas, I won't be buying an XTS... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Alas, I won't be buying an XTS... in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; An Avalon has 58.2" of rear seat shoulder room, the XTS has 57.9. Not exactly an Earth shattering difference unless ...
    Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    An Avalon has 58.2" of rear seat shoulder room, the XTS has 57.9. Not exactly an Earth shattering difference unless the width of your pinkie is considered the difference between cramped and cavernous.

Everything from the color of the interior to the shape of the door panels can trick the eye into seeing room (or lack thereof), but the tape measure doesn't lie. I really don't understand why everyone keeps speaking in generalities and assumptions when the measurements don't bear them out.

To continue the Avalon comparisons, I'd be interested to see where else you feel the XTS falls short of it. The 268hp engine in the Avalon is nothing compared to the DI 3.6L, it has nothing remotely comparable to CUE, no safety alert seat or cross traffic alert. Magnetic ride control or Brembo brakes are not available at any cost. It's shorter in length and narrower in width, has a shorter wheelbase and a trunk almost 4 cubic feet smaller than than the XTS.

If we're considering the Avalon as a competitor, I really don't see where Cadillac is missing the boat.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Re: Alas, I won't be buying an XTS...

I know the width for livery is an issue, but from a width perspective, as long as it is comfortable for 4, that's not a huge sticking point for me. Luxury is not sitting on the hump, no matter the car. I think they should just make it a full length rear console. But length is an issue. The DTS has good rear legroom, not Equus, LS460L, S or LWB 7 length, but it's good. The XTS should not have been any less than that, though...
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

XTS has more rear legroom than an Equus.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

5-8 inches of stretch on the XTS-L seems perfect to me
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

And since Cadillac has a long history of offering stretched versions (Deville Fleetwood Limited, Deville DES and DTS-L), I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony
    An Avalon has 58.2" of rear seat shoulder room, the XTS has 57.9. Not exactly an Earth shattering difference unless the width of your pinkie is considered the difference between cramped and cavernous.

Everything from the color of the interior to the shape of the door panels can trick the eye into seeing room (or lack thereof), but the tape measure doesn't lie. I really don't understand why everyone keeps speaking in generalities and assumptions when the measurements don't bear them out.

To continue the Avalon comparisons, I'd be interested to see where else you feel the XTS falls short of it. The 268hp engine in the Avalon is nothing compared to the DI 3.6L, it has nothing remotely comparable to CUE, no safety alert seat or cross traffic alert. Magnetic ride control or Brembo brakes are not available at any cost. It's shorter in length and narrower in width, has a shorter wheelbase and a trunk almost 4 cubic feet smaller than than the XTS.

If we're considering the Avalon as a competitor, I really don't see where Cadillac is missing the boat.
    Something is amiss. Maybe the Avalon has thinner door panels but the glass is similar in distance apart.

The XTS may be able to be measured as such but I sat in the LaCrosse and Avalon with a critical eye to space and feel.

The LaCrosse has a swoopy canopy that cramps the cockpit. It also felt vastly narrower. What I see and feel is perception. And perception is reality. I have seen measurements before not live up to real world space. Unless what I saw through the open door of the XTS magically changes once inside, it doesn't compare to the Avalon. Nor the Equus...

----------

Make no mistake, I own a CTS and am fine with its proportions. I think an XTS with its size and space for 4 not needing all the room my TC has is perfect. It's very good looking and it has an engine that is better than the N*.

And it has CUE, which I want badly...

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

We've been talking about legroom and width, but headroom is a big issue for me, because I'm taller in the trunk than most people. My Deville's back seat is just barely adequate, every other recent GM sedan I've tried isn't even that.

If they add some wheelbase, maybe they can move the seat forward a bit to get more headroom or a reclining capibility.

The Lacrosse has very short windows and thick pillars which make it feel more cramped than it is (except the rear headroom is bad because the seat has been pushed back). The XTS has taller windows and thinner pillars and a thinner roof, which should help the perception of roominess. I hope they don't use a dark headliner on all of them.

And you may be right- once you sit in it. All I'm baffled by is two things:

1- People criticizing the car for roominess, engine choice or styling without seeing it in person, sitting in it or driving it.

2- People repeatedly making statements like "The seat/trunk/wheelbase/whatever is smaller than an Avalon/Equus/300/whatever" when I've repeatedly posted the contrary. Heck, anyone with 15 seconds to spare and access to Google could prove themselves wrong, but for some reason they just want to dislike the car so they ignore it.
    allgm, allgm, M5eater and 1 others like this.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony
    And you may be right- once you sit in it. All I'm baffled by is two things:

1- People criticizing the car for roominess, engine choice or styling without seeing it in person, sitting in it or driving it.

2- People repeatedly making statements like "The seat/trunk/wheelbase/whatever is smaller than an Avalon/Equus/300/whatever" when I've repeatedly posted the contrary. Heck, anyone with 15 seconds to spare and access to Google could prove themselves wrong, but for some reason they just want to dislike the car so they ignore it.
    Tony, you know that I have been extremely fair...

For sure. It's the general vibe in here that baffles me. They've kept 95% of the DTS size while incorporating modern technology with better handling and fuel economy, yet people freak out.

I suppose I should just ignore it until people have a chance to drive the car, but I can't help popping in to correct the assumptions. It must be the salesman in me...
    allgm and allgm like this.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

I did Google the Equus and Genesis, and thought that the Equus had more legroom (similar to an LS460L). But it's within an inch of the Genesis, so I can't figure out how they fit the footrests and all the other "Ultimate" crap in thurr...
    NOW

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Quote Originally Posted by hueterm
    I did Google the Equus and Genesis, and thought that the Equus had more legroom (similar to an LS460L). But it's within an inch of the Genesis, so I can't figure out how they fit the footrests and all the other "Ultimate" crap in thurr...
    I think thats only in the extended version. But I could be wrong. I don't work at a Hyundai dealership.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

The Equus does have footrests. But they fold out from underneath and they only go as far as the seats in front of them. Even with a passenger in front, the footrests are still useful.

The right side rear passenger can control the front seat and bring it back and forth. Like in my TC, when that front seat is empty, its all the way forward.

But there is only one wheelbase version...?
    NOW

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

The "ottoman" with massaging/reclining rear seats in the Hyundai Equus is available in the regular (short wheel base) version that we see here in domestic dealerships...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.