Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What some Jag owners think of Cadillac's CUE

9K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  KNCadillac8898 
#1 ·
#3 ·
iirc, it will not allow some functions to be operated while in motion, however, it can detect from which side of the car the functions are being operated (from the driver or passenger side) and some people are hopeful that the NHTSA may allow disabled functions (like navigation) to be operated in the future while in motion-- from the passenger side of the car since the vehicle can detect who's doing the button pushing.

Figures the moderators of the jag forum call it and Cadillac as a whole shit.. why do they even bother posting? For their own self-satisfaction?

#4 ·
How does the screen know which side it is being touched from? I will never pay for another nav system that cannot be operated while the vehicle is in motion. It is so damn pointless that using my iphone is a better option that something built into the car due to lazy safety measures.

#6 ·
Any system that is so poorly designed that it won't allow operation while you have a passenger is useless and not worth any of the money for it. I don't care how great it is while I am stopped, if I can't have my wife use it while I drive, I won't pay for it again (especially if it's as crappy as current nav)

#7 · (Edited)
As I said, it is full of cool features. But the Darwin theory will prevail and people will be stupid and crash while using it. I just don't want to be the one they hit. LOL

Just yesterday I was zipping down the interstate in the fast lane and the car in front of me suddenly slowed from 75 down to 50 mph. I passed on the right (legal on a three lane road in CT) and as I looked over there was the lady yapping on her phone in her new Mercedes. I can't even tell you how many times I have been behind a car doing 65-75 mph and the drivers visor was down and open (with vanity lights on) as the driver applied makeup. Pure stupidity. I scolded a young coworker the other day as I passed her in her Silverado texting while driving in the fast lane doing 70mph. Cell phones are another wonderful (for emergencies) invention that is abused to the point of insanity.

#8 ·
Driving to Boston a few evenings ago with my cousin, 5 people almost hit us throughout the journey, people slam their brakes and cut you off for no reason on the highways, and we saw one accident which happened right in front of us. Scary driving these days. Most of them were driving average cars. I wouldn't want to see the accidents if these people had been using the CUE system while driving. Hans has a good point, but most people really can't drive while doing nothing else but focusing on the road, nevermind while trying to work a CUE system that they will probably never attempt to actually fully understand in the first place.

#15 ·
You know as well as I the texting while driving law has done nothing to curb that. And many, especially business people who buy Cadillacs, need to conduct business while driving. Phones aren't going away. communication is going to continue to become more advanced. If Cadillac's CUE is making this easier to do and use in the car, I can only see that as a good thing.

Right now, with my Android HTC Evo, I regularly make calls in my Town Car through Bluetooth and use voice recognition to text even though it's technically illegal. In fact, using voice to text while driving is safer than making calls. And I also use the Google maps traffic feature while I'm driving with clients all the time. Why? Because it's easy and I can do it without looking or thinking about it. If these types of features(including Vlingo) become more common and more advanced with CUE, it's going to HELP with distracted driving.

#9 ·
I don't want this to turn into another 'what is safe to do while driving argument' but the pure laziness of not tying in the airbag weight sensor to allow passenger operation of Nav is horrible. If it weren't for the appearance of throwing a GPS on my dash, I would do it for the ease. I just use my damn phone instead (and I don't care to hear what you think of what I do while driving) but I know there's no way I could use a GPS to enter in an address while driving.

#11 ·
I watched the video but don't remember the sensor part. Having the ability to allow the passenger to input data is what is important to me. We know that if people want to violate safety, they will do so. I want the option to use something I paid (too much) for and not have to go out of my way to do so.

#13 · (Edited)
I simply do not see any car manfuacturer allowing this to happen in light of the NHTSA's reccent reccomendations which specificly list navigational imput in the distracted driving list. Every car manfuacture is on board with this kind of feature(and aftermarket embeded systems use it as well), it might shead a very poor public view on anyone that decided to remove it and then was promptly sued for allowing the feature to be operated in motion when other manufacturers do not allow this to happen. Wishing for this to happen will not force it to happen in this case.

#12 ·
the thing is, you didn't pay for that... you paid for the ability to use it when they have designed it to be used

beyond that you're on your own and if you get in a wreck and die your family can't sue GM (that's really what this is all about - liability)

at about 55 seconds in he reaches for the CUE... you will notice that just before his finger gets to the display a bunch of on screen buttons/options appear
(also the text on the screen says 'proximity sensing')

#14 ·
I'm not gonna get into an argument on it especially since it has already derailed the thread. I understand that it's dangerous but it's insanely stupid to pay for a nav system that is less usable than a $200 off the shelf one that comes with a warning not to be a moron and that is acceptable.

#18 ·
I'm a chauffeur. Have been for 15 years. I lived in Billerica and am now in Worcester. I've lived here all my life and have logged about 1.4 million miles in my life...mostly in eastern MA. I see crazy everyday. Although, I will say, the Concord rotary isn't all that bad. The commuters know how to drive it, and other rotaries. The problem with rotaries are when you incorporate people who don't have a clue into them. That's when it gets nuts...

#22 ·
I think it was Lewis Black the comedien who made the comment that Linberg flew across the Atlantic without a radio and people today can't walk to the mailbox without a cell phone in their ear. If you think the world will stop if you can't stay connected, give it a try. Betcha the world will keep on turnin'. This connection fetish is a case of technology creating a need, not a need creating technology.

Not everyone is a bad driver because of texting or talking on the phone. But almost 100% of the people whom I see making mistakes while driving have a phone to their ear or their eyes focused more toward their lap texting.

Personally, I enjoy the silence when I drive...but then I'm an old fart.....

#23 ·
^Lol. Sometimes I drive in the quiet and just listen to the engine, but mostly I listen to CDs (classic rock of course). I can't stand the radio. Tomorrow in MA there's a hearing for two proposed bills, one to outlaw talking on a cell phone while driving and another to outlaw talking on a cell phone while driving in a school zone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.