Features, Options and Specs - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Features, Options and Specs in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i bet they can lock it down ... nothing's impossible but they can make it really hard...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Features, Options and Specs

i bet they can lock it down ... nothing's impossible but they can make it really hard
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    HOLY MOTHER OF GOD IT's LINUX BASED!

WINNN!!!

Guys.. this is EPIC! Best of all, GM can't make it unhackable, here we come user created CUE styles!
    Whoa. I thought you were kidding. You liked CUE and defended it that much BEFORE you realized it was Linux based?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i bet they can lock it down ... nothing's impossible but they can make it really hard
    you can't lock down the software, It's against the GNU license. Because it's linux based GM must make the source code avaliable for public distribution. We're protected by law in this case -- but it sounds like you know that.
    I would have concerns about being able to interface with the system, but since it's upgradeable, I can't imagine anyone that can get access to a tech-II won't be able to get ahold of whatever is required to reprogram a CUE system.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License
    Whoa. I thought you were kidding. You liked CUE and defended it that much BEFORE you realized it was Linux based?
    I had sort of expected that being a GM product, even if it was MS based someone would have enough multi-thousand dollar equipment to crack it. This is a different league.

really I don't have time to surfaround for this stuff anymore though. Most of my information comes from CF anymore.

They can build closed source on top of linux. And I'm pretty sure that they are. But that doesn't mean that theres no chance of custom stuff. Just that it will probably not happen.

Think kindle fire for cars but even more locked down.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

DTS man33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, Had 2000 Deville DTS and 2003 Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by rjm View Post
    Rainsense was deleted from all Cadillacs for 2010 & 2011 MY save the SRX. They returned to the option sheet on the 2012 CTS, but have not returned to the Escalade, although it does have Intellibeam.

The XTS and ATS will offer Rainsense, Intellibeam, Lane Departure Warning, Side Blind Zone Alert. The XTS will also feature Adapative Cruise Control.

But, I attended the Charity Preview Friday night in Detroit and spent longer than I should've looking at the XTS and the thing that struck me the most was that whenever anyone inquired about the engine they completely lost interest in the car when the moment the spokesperson said V6. Everyone I overheard wanted/expected a V8!
    Thanks for clerifing that data RJm- I knew Cadillac couldn't be compleatly off their rocker by getting rid of Intelibeam. And its good to hear that Rainsense wipers will return to the XTS. I knew it was gone on the DTS's for 2010 and 2011 because I was thinking about trading in my 06 on a preimum DTS and the salesman told me the option was gone. I think the engine is the big kicker here for the XTS. Like I stated before, thay at least need a beefer engine as a option. Something that produces around 350 or 360 HP. Now a days 300 HP is nothing esp in a luxo car. It will be interesting to see what Cadillac dose with this car by 2014 or 15. I expect to see a few more options added to the list and a engine as well. I think the CUE system will get a upgrade to play Blu-ray's. I know I heard all this hype about the CUE system offering a Blu-ray system when they first intoduced it in Oct. Now theres no mention of it.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Just to be contrary:
    Cue is fully 3d navigation maps: And this is important how? Helps when flying at low altitude?
    Customizable intrument and infotainment clusters: Great for the first week and then??
    Fully touch capacitive controls for all the dash controlls in the car: Better than buttons because??
    Gesture enabled controls for the center console: Not sure what this is but what happens when my dog jumps in the front seat?
    Simplistic customizable icon support: Requiring a complicated computer system. Better because??
    Fully updatable software and configurations: Think you can do that with current cars.
    Tactile feedback from the buttons: Don't all buttons and switches (not touch controls) give tactile feedback?
    Proximity sensing screens: See comment about the dog.
    Natural voice recognition instead of awkward commands: Never saw the need for voice recognition systems.
    Fully compatible with smart phone and ipad integration: How about driving without distractions??

All these items are "gee wizz" things. I'd be more interested in engine/transmission performance, handling, comfort, turning radius, cabin silence, cabin comfort with armrests that I can actually use, super headlights, decent interior storage, comfort.....
    EChas3 and EChas3 like this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Tactile feedback from the buttons: Don't all buttons and switches (not touch controls) give tactile feedback?
    they're supposed to vibrate to acknowledge that the command has been received.

All these items are "gee wizz" things. I'd be more interested in engine/transmission performance, handling, comfort, turning radius, cabin silence, cabin comfort with armrests that I can actually use, super headlights, decent interior storage, comfort.....
    Most of technology consists of small, incremental advances. Cue happens to have a lot of them. Really though, you could make this argument when comparing the infotainment from a Kia to an S-class if you wanted to. You can adjust the amount that the rear trunk opens in an S-class, or the amount of time before the lights shutoff in an infinite amount, it's not as if it has presets. All of which are interesting, but why are they really there? Do you honestly only need your trunk opened half-way?

HansK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 Blue Chip

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post

How about driving without distractions??
    Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post
    Gesture enabled controls for the center console: Not sure what this is but what happens when my dog jumps in the front seat?
    Proximity sensing screens: See comment about the dog.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by DTS man33 View Post
    Back in 2000 the new Deville DTS could have a optional Night Vision system. I had A 2000 that had it. That was cutting edge tech at the time that no one had it, same with the LED lights at the rear of the car.
    The 1998 Mark VIII had LED tail lights back in 1997. That was the first car to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by rjm View Post
    Rainsense was deleted from all Cadillacs for 2010 & 2011 MY save the SRX. They returned to the option sheet on the 2012 CTS, but have not returned to the Escalade, although it does have Intellibeam.

The XTS and ATS will offer Rainsense, Intellibeam, Lane Departure Warning, Side Blind Zone Alert. The XTS will also feature Adapative Cruise Control.

But, I attended the Charity Preview Friday night in Detroit and spent longer than I should've looking at the XTS and the thing that struck me the most was that whenever anyone inquired about the engine they completely lost interest in the car when the moment the spokesperson said V6. Everyone I overheard wanted/expected a V8!
    1. It's ridiculous that a "luxury" automobile doesn't have rain sensing wipers. I know not everybody uses them or even wants them - but they should be there.

2. In bold - THAT'S not good. Cadillac WILL lose a lot of customers who wanted a V8 in the XTS. They surely gain a bunch of customers based on everything else - but why they have to improve in one area and take a step back in another is what bothers me about Cadillac.

They did the same thing with the SRX. The first generation SRX didn't look good (to most people) inside and out. But it performed really well. The second generation SRX looks great inside and out - but it doesn't perform as well. They fix one thing and break another. MAYBE the third generation SRX will get it right.

The SRX is really selling well. Imagine how it would be selling if they got both the appearance buyers AND the performance buyers with the second generation.

This is how it'll be for the XTS. It'll pick up lots of new customers based on technology - but it would certainly sell more if it grabbed the performance buyers as well. The V8 in the DTS should have IMPROVED for the XTS. Instead, it's now a V6 with a touch more horsepower and less torque.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    the V6 they have in there puts out more power than the NorthStar V8 did and gets better gas mileage ... I don't see what the problem is with that besides people just wanting a V8 for the sake of having a V8
    It's not about wanting a V8 for the sake of wanting a V8. I'm sure many people will be happy with the V6. I'm sure many people would have been happy with the same old Northstar V8. But those who WANT a V8 (like those who were so disappointed at the preview in Detroit) were surely expecting a V8 with improved performance over the old Northstar. These people were expecting, at the VERY LEAST, the same old Northstar - they preferred a higher power V8 than the old one - NOT a V6...

Quote Originally Posted by DTS man33 View Post
    Thanks for clerifing that data RJm- I knew Cadillac couldn't be compleatly off their rocker by getting rid of Intelibeam. And its good to hear that Rainsense wipers will return to the XTS. I knew it was gone on the DTS's for 2010 and 2011 because I was thinking about trading in my 06 on a preimum DTS and the salesman told me the option was gone. I think the engine is the big kicker here for the XTS. Like I stated before, thay at least need a beefer engine as a option. Something that produces around 350 or 360 HP. Now a days 300 HP is nothing esp in a luxo car. It will be interesting to see what Cadillac dose with this car by 2014 or 15. I expect to see a few more options added to the list and a engine as well. I think the CUE system will get a upgrade to play Blu-ray's. I know I heard all this hype about the CUE system offering a Blu-ray system when they first intoduced it in Oct. Now theres no mention of it.
    The XTS SHOULD be getting a twin turbo 3.0 liter V6 in the not too distant future. It'll have over 400 horsepower...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

I doubt the 3.0T will have 400 hp, but it should have a lot more low end torque than the standard engine. The Ciel has a total of 425 hp from a 3.6T Plus an electric motor.

I'd like to know why Cadillac is dropping cooled seats for ventilated ones, and why aren't they putting them on the rear seats?

I'm guessing it's the short life of the cooling units (I'm on my 3rd in 4 years, but the car was 3 years old when I got it). It does make a difference when the car interior is hot from the sun, though there are times when I wish I could turn the cooling off (can't tell any difference in the 3 settings).

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    The SRX doesn't perform as well because that's what the public wants. The last gen was too expensive based in the Sigma so they ditched it.

They knew from day 1 that they were going for the Lexus RX. It didn't need a V8 and it didn't need to be fast. It needed to be a car based crossover, to be comfortable and to be attractive. I wouldn't want V8 type power in that chassis anyway.

All you who proclaim the "it needs to have a V8" mantra can disappear along with it. It's all in your mind, you dinosaurs. V8s have its purpose. It doesn't need to be in every damn Cadillac offering.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

hey i'm upset as much as anyone about the loss of the N* ... but I'd rather have a car that rides and handles and has loads of tech and can get decent gas mileage while still being able to get out of its own way when it needs to merge... sure it would be great to have a V8 or a TTV6 but it's not going to stop me from buying the car (if i could afford it) or cause me to talk trash about it - especially sight unseen (ok some of you have seen it, but haven't sat in it or driven it)

and to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld: You don't go to market with the car you wish you could build, you go to market with the car you built

and it's a damn fine car, if i do say so myself (sight unseen)

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

I agree that the current SRX doesn't need a V8. Of course, I wouldn't want it (or a Lexus RX) anyway. Nor do I think the ATS/CTS needs to have one. Although the CTS could do w/more than 300HP in its top mainstream trim.

The XTS is a different matter -- as would be a Lambdallac -- if they made one.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Ral,

I'm sure it's a mixture of cost and the durability of the thermoelectric devices they use for seat cooling.

Most of the time here in FL (where it does tend to get hot) using the remote starter before getting in is enough. Cold air from the HVAC system blowing on the seats (since you're not in them yet) normally gets rid of the "hot seat" syndrome before you first hop in.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    I'd like to know why Cadillac is dropping cooled seats for ventilated ones, and why aren't they putting them on the rear seats?
    i think the theory goes that if you're cooling the cabin then ventilating the seats will be the same as cooled seats ... also some people probably (literally) froze their butts off and complained

this is probably a happy medium between what they were getting from customer feedback and the cost of parts

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.