Features, Options and Specs - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Features, Options and Specs in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I NEED to see this car. NAOW!...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Features, Options and Specs

I NEED to see this car. NAOW!

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

I've only been in an old Ford Five Hundred, but the Taurus is supposed to be similarly sized and that back seat was huge -- not Town Car L huge, but bigger than just about anything else around. You're saying the XTS is bigger than that?
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

DTS man33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, Had 2000 Deville DTS and 2003 Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    The extra length on the DTS vs the XTS is all unused space- empty room under the hood and a protruding rear bumper cover.

The XTS is not meant to replace the DTS, but for those interested in comparing them, there's difference of 4" in the wheelbase, 1.6" less rear legroom and .8 cu ft less in the trunk.

The XTS's major competitors (Chrysler 300, Lincoln MKS, Audi A6 and Hyundai Genesis) all have smaller back seats than the XTS, and both the 300, A6 and Genesis have significantly smaller trunks than the XTS as well.
    I have heard from a few sources that work at Caddy dealers about a car that will slot above the XTS but below the flagship. I was told it would ride on a "Super Epilison" Platform and would be more the size of the DTS. With a stretched wheelbase that could make it close to the DTS in length at least. I am not sure how much stock is in these claims but it would make sense in case the XTS flops and people dont wanna fork over 80 plus grand on a flagship. That is my only gripe about the XTS, is the length. I knew it would not be as big as a DTS but thought they would of made it at least 204 or 205 in length.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by hueterm
    I've only been in an old Ford Five Hundred, but the Taurus is supposed to be similarly sized and that back seat was huge -- not Town Car L huge, but bigger than just about anything else around. You're saying the XTS is bigger than that?
    I don't know about the Five Hundred but the Taurus back seat room is meh. The seats are very high. Kneeroom is nothing to write home about. For how huge the car is, it is very poor packaging...

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

While we know that length is impressive, it is the girth that pleases. LOL I'm more worried about the width of the new XTS. For me the CTS was too narrow inside. I like my DTS as it has plenty of hip room. Making the XTS shorter by eliminating the trunklid is not going to help sales either. There is a correct ration of long hood, short deck that pleases the eyes. The more I look at the XTS from the back I worry about the proportions.

In addition to us guys who like full size cars, there is the rental and Livery market. When people rent a luxury car for a week or two vacation, they need the trunk space for several suitcases and carry-on bags. With the Town Car extinct, this left Cadillac in a position to take that market back.

I hope rumours of a bigger car (later) are true. But it will need to be available in base to Platinum trim to meet everyones needs.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I'm starting to feel like a broken record here:

XTS trunk is 18 cu ft, only .8 smaller than a DTS. It will accommodate 4 sets of golf clubs or 5 suitcases, the only car in its size or price range that can claim that. You may not like the looks of the small decklid, but it did not compromise room in the trunk.

The ONLY CAR anywhere near the XTS in size or price that has a (slightly) bigger trunk is the Lincoln MKS, and that has a terribly small opening which makes loading it difficult. All the other large"ish" cars in this class (A6, 300, Genesis and even the Equus) have a smaller trunk AND back seat then the XTS.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I don't know about the Five Hundred but the Taurus back seat room is meh. The seats are very high. Kneeroom is nothing to write home about. For how huge the car is, it is very poor packaging...
    I've been in both, They're i
    agreed... the driver front seat floor board is odd too, there's a nice huge hump where you would expect a flat section so there's very little room to sprawl out, and the center stack is HUGE. I had considered a SHO when I was shopping for the G8, but after sitting in an SE, with acres of flat testured plastic for door cards, the huge space-sucking center console and overal lack of rear size compared to the G8 I don't think I would have been able to keep it any longer than the G8.

The G8 Rear and truck volume is practicly 7 series sized. It was fantastic.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '15 Escalade Premium Majestic Plum Metallic

But Tony, you shouldn't have to defend this car to long time DeVille/DTS owner. We should be lining up with our checkbooks. Instead, we're all giving it a pass. If the group that the car is specifically aimed is giving it a pass, that's a great big bowl of not good.

The biggest problem I have is size. I realize there's better efficiencies in packaging vs. the DTS, but Cadillac said this would be on a "Super Epsilon" Platform with a longer wheelbase than the LaCrosse, yet its the same 111.7" (which is .6" shorter than the current Malibu), while the outgoing DTS is 115.6".

To me, its 1985 all over again. Cadillac is replacing a larger car with a smaller car, but are telling us with a straight face that the new car is bigger. If you can, go park an '84 Fleetwood Brougham or Sedan DeVille next to an '85 Sedan DeVille.

There's a reason Cadillac made such a big deal with that press release concerning the black car market...the feedback is coming in and they've quickly realized that's the only place this turkey is going to sell...at the fleet/livery counter.

It pains me greatly to say this, but I give Cadillac 2 years at most before it joins Oldsmobile and Pontiac.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    I'm starting to feel like a broken record here:

XTS trunk is 18 cu ft, only .8 smaller than a DTS. It will accommodate 4 sets of golf clubs or 5 suitcases, the only car in its size or price range that can claim that. You may not like the looks of the small decklid, but it did not compromise room in the trunk.

The ONLY CAR anywhere near the XTS in size or price that has a (slightly) bigger trunk is the Lincoln MKS, and that has a terribly small opening which makes loading it difficult. All the other large"ish" cars in this class (A6, 300, Genesis and even the Equus) have a smaller trunk AND back seat then the XTS.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I'm certainly not "defending" it- just pointing out things that seem to be ignored. I'm a small car, CTS-V guy myself, but it's curious watching the conversation in these threads go in circles. For instance; everyone keeps talking about how small the trunk looks and saying that Cadillac needs a car with a big trunk, all while missing the posts saying it's only .8 less than a DTS and bigger than everything else in the segment.

Remember- the XTS is supposed to be a hybrid of the DTS and the STS. Cadillac needs a car between the CTS and the eventual full size car. The DTS was no longer a competitive full size, nor was the STS a good middle car. Both needed to be replaced, but the market for that middle car in-between the small and big is MUCH larger. Getting the XTS on lots first makes sense.

I should also mention that while Dan Akerson might not be big on the XTS, Mark Reuss was adamant at the Dealer Council about the XTS "not being a DTS". He repeated that twice: "It's not another DTS", which I took to mean "This car is actually comparable in terms of technology and assembly to our other Cadillacs".

With the HiPer Strut technology, DI engine, 6 speed trans and interior materials far superior to the DTS, this should be a more fun to drive, better handling and higher luxury car than the DTS, while still retaining 95% of the roominess.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Threads like these will go in circles regardless...either people don't read through the posts or they want to reinforce the same arguments with their own opinions..regardless if they've been disproven or not.
    I dont understand why total legnth is an issue if interior volume is comparable or larger.. If they streached the front and rear fascias 3"s so that it had just as much wasted open space would you still have a problem with it?

To me, its 1985 all over again. Cadillac is replacing a larger car with a smaller car
    everyone was replacing larger cars for smaller ones in the 70s and 80s.. not just cadillac. Fuel prices directly influenced that. Fuel prices are again, directly influencing this effect. We've reached the point where material costs are expensive for large cars, and weight needs to come down. One way you do that is with lighter/stronger materials. CF is one such material, but it's still hand made and extremely expensive. The other way, is to reduce size. Cadillac managed to reoganize the car's gaps and reduce wasted space to end up with a roomier car.. What's the problem here? We haven't even seen the damn thing yet.

KNCadillac8898 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DTS; Blue Ice Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by HartfordGuy View Post

For comparison

Edit: Oops! This photo (above) is from the Cadillac.com website and is wrong! The overall length of a DTS is 207 inches. They have the specs from the STS listed for the DTS. D'oh!

Nonetheless, the XTS will be 5 inches shorter than the DTS apparently.
    The other demensions look to be correct. Surprised they haven't corrected that. Maybe they just don't care anymore.

It pains me greatly to say this, but I give Cadillac 2 years at most before it joins Oldsmobile and Pontiac.
    I just saw this.. and thus removed is any shread of credibility you had.

You're talking about the death of the fastest growing luxury brand in the US for 2010, and as much as you would like to fantasize that the DTS is somehow Cadillac's only worth-while car; it sold in fewer numbers in 2010 and 2011 *combined with the STS* than the Escalade did during those two years when gas prices went up.

*and* their november sales were up compared to 2010 again this year even without the help from the DTS or STS, they're tracking 6K more units before this month's sales included.
    HartfordGuy and HartfordGuy like this.

DTS man33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, Had 2000 Deville DTS and 2003 Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by rjm View Post
    But Tony, you shouldn't have to defend this car to long time DeVille/DTS owner. We should be lining up with our checkbooks. Instead, we're all giving it a pass. If the group that the car is specifically aimed is giving it a pass, that's a great big bowl of not good.

The biggest problem I have is size. I realize there's better efficiencies in packaging vs. the DTS, but Cadillac said this would be on a "Super Epsilon" Platform with a longer wheelbase than the LaCrosse, yet its the same 111.7" (which is .6" shorter than the current Malibu), while the outgoing DTS is 115.6".

To me, its 1985 all over again. Cadillac is replacing a larger car with a smaller car, but are telling us with a straight face that the new car is bigger. If you can, go park an '84 Fleetwood Brougham or Sedan DeVille next to an '85 Sedan DeVille.

There's a reason Cadillac made such a big deal with that press release concerning the black car market...the feedback is coming in and they've quickly realized that's the only place this turkey is going to sell...at the fleet/livery counter.

As I said in one of my replys on here. A few sources that I know in Cadillac dealers talked about this full size car that will ride on a stretced Super Epilson platform and will slot above the XTS but below the new flagship. I see you remember hearing the same from Cadillac/GM about the XTS. Again I do not know how much I can stake in these claims and see that Tony did not agree or disagree on it.

I hope it is true that they have something sloted above the XTS and that will stay FWD. The XTS is a great replacement for the STS but not the DTS. All they need to add to the wheelbase would be about 2 inches and then there you go you would be able to stretch the length out alot closer to the DTS size. I agree that the DTS was outdated in terms of tech and style however shrinking it is not the answer.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '15 Escalade Premium Majestic Plum Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I just saw this.. and thus removed is any shread of credibility you had.

You're talking about the death of the fastest growing luxury brand in the US for 2010, and as much as you would like to fantasize that the DTS is somehow Cadillac's only worth-while car; it sold in few numbers in 2010 and 2011 *combined with the STS* than the Escalade did during those two years when gas prices went up.

*and* their november sales were up compared to 2010 again this year even without the help from the DTS or STS, they're tracking 6K more units before this month's sales included.
    If Cadillac were in a vacuum that would be fine. But they aren't. Cadillac used to sell more cars per year than all other luxury makes combined. Now they're a distant fourth, just ahead of Acura.

Sales thru November:

Audi 104,906 +15.2%
    BMW 221,073 +12.3%
    Benz 219,491 +11.8%
    Lexus 173,197 -14.5%
    Cadillac 136,130 +4.5%
    Acura 110,170 -7.1%
    Infiniti 87,471 -3.8%
    Lincoln 77,240 -0.7%

I'm not fantasizing that the DTS was Cadillac's only worthwhile car. While I loved my '06 Lux III and my '08 Platinum, I would readily admit that the DTS was well past its sell by date before the '06 refresh. (Truth be told, I was disappointed with the 2000 resdesign.)

The XTS needed to be a grand slam if Cadillac had any hopes of it fulfilling its stated mission which was to get people out of their A6, E, ES, 5s. Instead it, and the ATS appear to be solid triples, but in this cut-throat market a triple isn't good enough. If the current market were somewhat static, they might not be a problem. But BMW will be showing the new 3 in Detroit. Mercedes has a new S and refreshed E just around the corner, not to mention the new M class just introduced and the refreshed C, along with a new C-coupe, arriving in dealers. While Lexus is currently displaying the new GS (which has never sold in large numbers) the new ES and LS sedans are due to arrive next year, and I wouldn't be surprised if the RX didn't receive a refresh as well. Not to mention Inifinit has their new JX midsize SUV. And Lincoln will be showing the new MKZ in Detroit next month, which, coincidentally is designed by the former head of Cadillac design.

Where does that leave Cadillac?? While the XTS and ATS will no doubt increase sales, new Escalade and CTS are at least 2 years away. And where is the long rumored Lambda Cadillac, that should've been here yesterday, to compete with the GL, X5, and GX460??

As much as I was excited by the promise of the Ciel, we've been down this road before with the Sixteen.

Unless Cadillac has some major product they've managed to keep hidden and/or BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus greatly falter, Cadillac will remain were it is, stuck in neutral. Thats why I said that Cadillac would join Oldsmobile and Pontiac. And it pains me greatly to say it.

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

Agreed.

Whoa! Hold on there. Cadillac is actually doing very well in the market. The CTS (as small as it is) did bring alot of new buyers into the showrooms. That is a good thing. The SRX sales are way up! That is a good thing. As much as I love my DTS, that is not the high volume car that the Sedan Deville was decades earlier. The big cars are now a niche vehicle, not a volume leader. The STS lost its identity and purpose years ago in my opinion. With the CTS being the sales leader it makes sense to aim the next generation of styling in that direction. Maybe there are CTS owners who want a bigger car but not DTS in size. The XTS may fit that need if it isn't priced too high.

But Cadillac is going to have to pony up and bring out a full sized car. Be it fleet or retail, you need a big car to be taken seriously. Audi A8, Mercedes S-class, etc etc. Movie stars and Washington DC VIPs are not going to be satisfied with a smaller Cadillac just because the interior and trunk volume are similar to the car it replaced. Be it the Oscars or Prom night, Limousines are made from big cars. I don't want to see the next President in an Escalade Limousine.

But I'm not ready to write off Cadillac just yet. They are back on track to be the Standard of the World again. They just need to remember that the average American is getting bigger and we all don't want to drive an Escalade.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.