Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Accidentally Revealed: 2012 Cadillac XTS

Cadillac XTS: This is it!
Jalopnik.com
November 9, 2011
By Matt Gardigree

Here's the first image of the gorgeous new Cadillac XTS, a modern full-sized replacement for the outgoing DTS/STS twin bus-sized sedans. Behold, the Cadillac of luxo-barges...

...Cadillac confirms the image is of the real production model. Why did we need confirmation? We didn't really, because they accidentally published it in on their front page.

#6 ·
re: Introducing the 2012 Cadillac XTS

Amazing that they'd put a computer generated image up on Cadillac.com instead of an actual photo of the car. Perhaps it's because they didn't want spy photographers to catch them photographing outside, but still.

The headlights and grille will look better in a real picture of an actual car sitting in its environment.

#15 ·

I'm afraid these sentiments are going to be very popular with the Cadillac XTS. I've mentioned before that the car lights up really nicely at night - but during the day - this is a really mellow, drowsy looking automobile. This car is Camry boring from the side. The front fascia isn't anything special either - though I like the lower part. The rear is nice.

The XTS is an amazing car on the inside but very underwhelming on the outside. Just the opposite of what the first generation Chrysler 300C was...

They promised us dream cars. We got glorified Buicks that look like SUVs from the front and Ford Tauruses from the side.

The Germans are laughing. Mercedes-Benz is #1 in US luxury sales and it looks like that trend will continue.

#12 ·

I'll be keeping my DTS Platinum...mmmkay?

#13 ·

That's it?? NO, JUST NO. Its a Hyundai Sonata with a Cadillac grill slapped on it.

Immediately after looking at it for the first time, Eugene Levy's character in National Lampoon's Vacation popped into my head: "You think you hate it now, just wait'll you drive it!"

After seeing some of the interior in the CUE video, I see why Cadillac put out the press release concerning the black car market...they already know that and the rental counter is the only place this abomination is going to sell.

GM, did you learn nothing from Packard...pull the plug on Cadillac now. What with the SRX, and now this, its painfully obvious you have no intention of once again making Cadillac "The Standard of the World" and "The Car of Cars" or even "A Masterpiece from the Mastercraftsmen", so just put Cadillac out of its misery while it can still exit with a shred of dignity and its former glory.

#16 ·
Re: Accidentally Revealed: 2013 Cadillac XTS

I saw it too! Last night, like you said on the Cadillac Website front page, for a short time. I clicked on the "learn more", only to be taken to the list of all their current models. I figured something wasn't right, but didn't think to grab a screen shot. Thanks for being quick enough on the draw to grab one for us all, EnvoyBu!

#19 ·
Re: Accidentally Revealed: 2012 Cadillac XTS

Is there going to be an AWD version or is front wheel the only choice?
Yes, but probably not initially...

I must say I'm very disappointed in this design.
It has a Cadillac grill, that's about it.
The rest could be a toyota or a hyundai or whatever asian non luxury brand, there is no Cadillac left in the design whatsoever.
Is this what we've been waiting for all these years?
I've also read from reporters that the plastic on the inside, and the fake wood plastic, is the common cheap plastic found in so many American cars.
So no luxury in the inside, and certainly not on the outside.
And of course a small v6 to match.
And the hood is sooooo small, but then again, it's just a midsize car.
No V8 Cadillac flagships left anymore.

Maybe if it is priced between 30 and 35k some people would buy it.

Mercedes and Audi will be very relieved to see that this is the American "answer" to the luxury cars the Germans have to offer.
The sales forecast in europe for this thing won't rise above 5 a year.
( I mean, there is literally only 1 STS sold in the UK)

And this thing will certainly never be part of my household or my company's fleet.
Sad to see that Cadillac is falling apart this fast.
I agree with you on the exterior design. Only the front and back is "Cadillac". The rest is actually Audi. Look at the A8. I'm not a fan of the V6 either - but hopefully we get the twin turbo 3.0. Then at least we have power. Whether the wood is real or not, I disagree with you on luxury on the inside. This is going to be a very, very luxurious car on the inside - with many high tech features. Besides power, this is going to be a very pleasant car to drive and be driven around in. A huge improvement over the DTS.

This is also NOT Cadillac's flagship to compete with the S-Class, 7-Series, LS, etcetera. This is NOT the flagship. And I do feel it's going to sell quite a bit. It's a good looking car - just not as flashy as I'd like for a Cadillac. Since most people like to buy boring looking automobiles, I don't see this having any trouble selling - since it's a mix of flash and boredom.

#18 · (Edited)
Re: Accidentally Revealed: 2012 Cadillac XTS

I must say I'm very disappointed in this design.
It has a Cadillac grill, that's about it.
The rest could be a toyota or a hyundai or whatever asian non luxury brand, there is no Cadillac left in the design whatsoever.
Is this what we've been waiting for all these years?
I've also read from reporters that the plastic on the inside, and the fake wood plastic, is the common cheap plastic found in so many American cars.
So no luxury in the inside, and certainly not on the outside.
And of course a small v6 to match.
And the hood is sooooo small, but then again, it's just a midsize car.
No V8 Cadillac flagships left anymore.

Maybe if it is priced between 30 and 35k some people would buy it.

Mercedes and Audi will be very relieved to see that this is the American "answer" to the luxury cars the Germans have to offer.
The sales forecast in europe for this thing won't rise above 5 a year.
( I mean, there is literally only 1 STS sold in the UK)

And this thing will certainly never be part of my household or my company's fleet.
Sad to see that Cadillac is falling apart this fast.

#22 · (Edited)
Re: Introducing the 2012 Cadillac XTS

Not bad but that is hardly praise for what surely will be a very expensive sedan. The concept got lost a bit in this translation with stubbier trunk and front over hang (hopefully this was a weight reduction measure and not done for styling) and the styling is oh so familiar save the front and rear end appearance. This is a common failing on cars today and one that is sadly lost on many of the younger buyers today. They are so used to dull Asian appliances that one more dull appliance with signature cue front and rear end appearance is nothing. The V6 is just a sign of the times and hopefully it will achieve high twenties fuel mileage with the new twin turbo engine taking over as the Hi Po version. The interior looks to be the best part of this car and hopefully it is wider than the too narrow Epsilon Lacrosse from which this car is heavily based. I wish the XTS every bit of success!

#23 ·
Some of you guys sure get a lot out of a picture (and most of the negative remarks sound like pre-disposed prejudice); believe I'll wait and see the whole package before I make any derogatory comment(s). I was just going to ignore those (negative) posts but I didn't want to be included by omission. My take, so far, is guarded optimism.

#27 ·
Its better than I thought, but I will wait to see it in real life before I bash it. I remember the first time I saw a picture of the STS, it was underwhelming in pics but in real life very nice.

I think if it sells in the 30-35 range it could be a great counter to the good selling Lexus ES series but thats it. Like others have said, there is no Cadillac in this, its a generic design.

Come on Ciel, and dont screw that one up GM.

#29 ·
I'm pretty sure it's going to cost at least what the DTS did.

I understand that. My point is simply that the DTS was not a car they were struggling to sell. It was a very nice car that still has a customer base. An aging one, but it's still there. Also, at a rough guess, I would venture that on a daily basis, I see more DTS than CTS.
I hear ya. The DTS is a nice car and this will sell to all those interested in it. As far as I'm concerned, it IS an upgrade to the DTS - besides the engine.

#33 ·
I still laugh at the outrage this car generates among the enthusiast crowd. A good 75% of the people ripping this car aren't new car buyers to begin with, while a good portion of the others don't understand its purpose and place in the lineup.

Every brand has a somewhat "ho-hum" car that's designed to not offend anyone and have mass market appeal. Decent fuel economy, inoffensive yet somewhat stylish looks and a good amount of comfort features on the inside. Not every car is a CTS-V or S600 AMG, nor should it be. The big, ostentatious, RWD V8 flagship everyone wants will not be a big seller, nor will it exist unless Cadillac turns a profit and improves their visibility among the boomer crowd currently driving a Lexus ES or E Class Benz.

It brings a new look to the mid/full size segment, and probably a more comfortable and quiet ride than an E Class, A6 or 5 Series, many of which have owners who don't know or don't care about the difference between RWD and FWD. Despite the outrage from a bunch of people on the Internet driving 4th hand 90's Fleetwoods or BMWs, Cadillac will sell a ton of thee cars if it's priced right.

#36 ·
I'm not gonna say any words until I get up close and personal with one. To me it looks good, it looks like something that regular people would want, it's different from the others. Yeah, Germany will probably scoff at the base models, but that's what the Platinum models are for (hopefully we'll get one for the XTS). I just hope this can bring down Audi from their narcissistic pedestal, they're commercials are starting to annoy me, and I think the new A8 is ugly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.