Your opinion? - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Your opinion? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; "bring back" ??...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    "bring back" ??
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

stabie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

Re: Your opinion?

Glad to hear CUE is Linux based. I've used linux for over a decade now and prior to that used solaris. I am a unix guy since college. The upside is that CUE should be less crash prone. I checked a few days ago and one of my systems has been up continuously for over 2 years. Now that is stability. The only crashes I get are from hard drive failures. Hopefully CUE will be as reliable. Further they could be using X for the display engine and that means tools could easily be made available to the customer for serious customization of the display. I look forward to it when I trade my CTSV.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    It looks like what should of been in a DTS. But I'm a little worried about the first iteration of this system. I hope gm's maintenance section for this system is better than the ones for other systems like the nav system in other Cadillacs.

I think GM will have much more control over CUE than the NAV systems. The NAV's are all 3rd party closed source systems. CUE if really linux gives them all the source code down to the OS and their engineers can adjust it as needed. I actually wish the car companies would bring more stuff back in house instead of just mixing and matching external systems.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by stabie
    I think GM will have much more control over CUE than the NAV systems. The NAV's are all 3rd party closed source systems. CUE if really linux gives them all the source code down to the OS and their engineers can adjust it as needed. I actually wish the car companies would bring more stuff back in house instead of just mixing and matching external systems.
    Yeah, its pretty ridiculous that GM has a hodge podge of different NAV units. Each vastly different...

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    I hope they're smart and use something like google maps instead of the way outdated nav systems that require discs for updates.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I wouldn't be surprised if you had a choice, like you do on many mobile devices...

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I managed to lock up ubuntu 11.10 in a VM.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post
    I hope they're smart and use something like google maps instead of the way outdated nav systems that require discs for updates.
    As long as the map data is in the car. If you are suggesting google maps "in the cloud" no thanks.

Hopefully they will not be running CUE in a VM. What were you running that locked it up? The only thing I run into occasionally is a browser crash. X and Ubuntu 8/9/10 have all been pretty stable for me on my laptop. Not on 11 yet and my production boxen are on RH. I'm not running anything too crazy, but I do have some fair size images at times (12-16G).

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

updating vmware tools. the console hung for at least 10 minutes before I powered it off.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Vmware is kewl but introduces one more layer of complexity. KISS!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.