Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cadillac XTS Gets Turbocharged Ecotec Four Cylinder Engine

9K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  0AT E03 
#1 ·
Before you start screaming, it's just an option. The 3.6 liter direct injected V6 available in the upcoming 2012 CTS will be available as well. So along with a V6, the XTS will also have a turbocharged four cylinder engine as an option. I wonder how many people will opt for the "four"...

#3 ·
I know how you feel - but I don't think this is NECESSARILY a bad decision by GM. It's just an option. We'll have to see how many people are up for it.. If Cadillac is going to be a global player, these fuel efficient engines are needed...

It's fine to see these little engines powering Cadillacs - if there's also large ones powering them at the top. The only problem I have is the missing V8s...

#4 ·
i alway love V8. the true luxury car is V8 or V12 is ok. but i do not prefer V12 much especially in S600. the heat kill the engine :( Coil..and it need too much maintenance.

i don't know why GM doesn't make a car which people want to buy. i love my DTS, but i hate it because it FWD. i love cadillac style.
if they can't make a true Cadillac, why they don't sell it to another company to make it become the starndart of the world like before.

#6 ·
i don't know why GM doesn't make a car which people want to buy. i love my DTS, but i hate it because it FWD. i love cadillac style.

if they can't make a true Cadillac, why they don't sell it to another company to make it become the starndart of the world like before.
A lot of people feel this way. I think we're going to see good things coming from Cadillac in the not-too-distant future. As far as I'm concerned, though - this is their last chance. They need to impress me with the next generation of vehicles or I just can't see myself buying their products any longer. If GM can't handle Cadillac properly, than they should sell the company to somebody who will...

Chinese SLS turbo 4 cylinder works quite well, it is 260hp/260pft, 0-60M less than 7.2s.
The XTS will be heavier - and slower if it uses the same engine...

#7 ·
Easy to just get a few more ponies from it. Just sayin'.

I've seen those ecotec turbos make 350+ horsepower to the wheels. It can be done. GM can easily offer it with better heads and/or more boost and you'd hardly miss it over the N*. The 3.6 will make more power, and then we'll see what happens in the future V8 wise.

I'd say everyone's got their panties twisted for no reason.

#9 ·
Some countries (I think China is one) give tax breaks for smaller displacement engines (and/or tax bigger ones more heavily). That's why the 4-cyl SLS sells, for instance. Presumably they'll offer it here so that they can advertise a good fuel economy number, but I don't think they'll mind if most buyers choose something with more oomph.

#10 ·
HELLO!? Did we forget history? The cimmeron, you know the cavalier wannbe Cadillac. It was HORRIBLE! You put in another 4 banger, even a vamped up Olds Quad 4, because that's what it is, it won't sell for *hit. And I'm really an Olds nut.

We keep letting the politics kill the economy, keep letting yuppies push their ideals that american gear is junk and only foreign is good, eventually there won't be any american cars on the road. I give them another 2-5 years before Cadillac decides to go off on her own and leave whats left of GM to wither and die. GM has been shooting themselves in the foot ever since they started killing engine plants and giving people cars they NEED rather then cars they WANT.
A 4-cyl in a caddy is just more proof of ignorance. You want a 4-cyl?
Buy a chevy.

#12 ·
You people crack me up. Things change. Technology changes. Buying motivations change.

There was a time not too long ago where any "real" luxury car came with a padded Landau top and wire wheels, which is laughable today. One day not too long from now, people are going to look back at the obsession with the number of cylinders in the engine (regardless of torque curve or power output) and laugh as well.

Here's a 1450hp, 950lb-ft 2.2L Ecotec engine. That's obviously not going in the XTS, but my point is that technology is way beyond the point where 8 cylinders is a prerequisite for power and torque.

http://www.gmtunersource.com/images...g_Racing/drag_engine/ecotec_drag_engine_1.jpg

#15 ·
Buick's stealing sales from Lexus faster than Lexus can count them, to the point where at a recent dealer meeting a Lexus principal told the factory people that Lexus was in danger of becoming "the next Buick" (as in, Buick is no longer the old Buick). Part of Buick's resurgence is thanks to the new Lacrosse. If the Lacrosse is snagging customers left and right, why wouldn't an even more upscale and stylish version of that car do well as a Cadillac?

The XTS (or FTS, whatever they call it) is not intended to be a flagship, but you know that already. It's an upscale but attainable car that will slot below an eventual flagship, and a necessary model to fill out Cadillac's lineup. It's going to take time and money, but building from the bottom up toward insane "Ultra Luxury" vehicles is the right strategy in my opinion. A wonderful Cadillac lineup 10 years from now would be

Entry Level

ATS
ATS-V
ATS Convertible

Mid size, Mid Lux, Sporty

CTS
CTS Wagon
CTS-V

Larger, Mid Lux, Soft Riding

XTS/FTS

Mid size, Mid Lux Crossover

SRX

Large Crossover, High Lux

(as of yet) Unnamed Lambda variant

Full size SUV

Escalade

Full Size, Crazy Luxury Sedan

XLS

Halo Car, Insane Performance/Luxury

XLR

The money they make and the brand equity and respect they build with the ATS, SRX, XTS and next CTS will enable the XLS and XLR to become reality.

#16 ·
I like that lineup, Tony.. And I like the XTS as well - besides the weak engine. I've been saving my pennies for two years hoping this car has enough on the inside for me to forget about the power. Hopefully it becomes available soon...

The LaCrosse is a nice car but in my personal opinion, its outselling the Lexus ES mainly for two reasons:

1. It costs ten thousand dollars less
2. It's only a year old

The Lexus ES has been selling since 2006. People are tired of it. But like I said, it's a nice car and more of a head-turner, inside and out, than the Lexus ES350. I've spent a lot of time in both cars and the $10k discount on the Buick is not only because of the badge.

#17 ·
I know a lot of people are trying to defend the 4 cylinder option.
But even if it has just enough hp, it will have a high rpm.
And high rpm = lots of discomforting noise.
And discomforting noise = no luxury but a cheap experience, and will never ever compete with European competitors.
And also the V6 is a terrible choice, i mean turbo charged engines are not only noisy but also demand high maintenance,
and will therefore lower the resale value greatly. A V6 just doesn't give the car a smooth ride.
Not having a V8 option will be the last nail in Cadillac's coffin.
For me and the other Cadillac owners i know -> No V8 = No sale.
Next year my company will be buying 4 new V8 sedan cars.
But if there is no Cadillac option available, we will have to look at other brands.
Too bad, because we are driving Cadillac's since 1992.

#18 ·
I'm not crazy about the 4 cylinder idea either - but if Cadillac wants to be a global player, they need to make it happen abroad - and since that's the case, they'll have it as an option here. There will be no V8 option in any Cadillac other than the Escalade or CTS-V - and perhaps the ATS-V - but I think the ATS-V is going to get a twin turbo 3.0 liter V6. I could be wrong.

The XTS should have the power it needs with the twin turbo V6. I do believe the NVH can be handled well enough for a luxurious experience in the car. It won't be a V8 but it'll be close..

What other cars are you considering to replace the Cadillacs in your company? I'm very curious...

#19 ·
"What other cars are you considering to replace the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue ! important]Cadillacs[/COLOR][/COLOR] in your company? I'm very curious..."

Well, we have been looking towards Audi, because they build good quality and good looking cars.
But.......
They are also more expensive and well.......... not from Cadillac.

Call us crazy, but we have decided to go for the Cadillac Escalade.
I know it is as far of a sedan a car can be, but we dont drop Cadillac just yet.

We still have a shimmer of hope for the 2015? Cadillac flagship.

And what better waiting room can you ask for than the Cadillac Escalade.

#20 ·
Sounds good to me. While I don't see an SUV being a proper flagship, I think it does a pretty good job here in America...

Well, we have been looking towards Audi, because they build good quality and good looking cars.
But.......
They are also more expensive and well.......... not from Cadillac.

Call us crazy, but we have decided to go for the Cadillac Escalade.
I know it is as far of a sedan a car can be, but we dont drop Cadillac just yet.

We still have a shimmer of hope for the 2015? Cadillac flagship.

And what better waiting room can you ask for than the Cadillac Escalade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.