Cadillac Owners Forum banner

A small amount of "latest news" regarding the Cadillac XTS

16K views 85 replies 28 participants last post by  The Raven 
#1 ·
Expect the XTS in FWD/AWD, V6 and hybrid models within the next year. That is all...

#2 ·
May 17th, 2011 Story as seen in Automotive News.

Cadillac moves forward with next flagship sedan

http://www.autonews.com/article/20110517/BLOG06/110519916/1503

What do the Cadillac XTS Platinum concept and the 2003 Cadillac Seville have in common?

Dimensions.

The XTS is Cadillac's upcoming large luxury sedan expected in showrooms next year. The XTS concept debuted in January 2010 at the Detroit auto show.

The consensus is that General Motors hit a home run with the concept's styling. The styling of the production sedan is pretty close to that of the concept, I've heard.

The 2013 XTS is being developed on GM's Epsilon front-wheel-drive platform. The concept features a 3.6-liter V-6 combined with a plug-in hybrid system, a powertrain expected to be used in the production car.

To make room in the Cadillac lineup, the DTS and STS will be dropped. The DTS, and before that the DeVille, catered to older buyers. The STS, cursed with exterior styling that was too similar to the lower-priced CTS, never reached its sales potential. Cadillac believes the XTS will be a true luxury alternative to Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz sedans. All-wheel drive will be available, possibly standard.

Photos of the XTS concept have appeared in buff books and all over the Internet. But unless the car has been seen in person, close up, the concept's size is difficult to gauge from the photos. So here's some help:

•XTS wheelbase: 112.2 inches, 0.5 inches longer than the Seville's.
•XTS length: 201.0 inches, 2.5 inches shorter.
•XTS width: 75.0 inches, 0.2 inches wider.
Although these are not final dimensions, they are close to those of the production car.

The bottom line: Next time you see the last generation fwd Seville rolling down the freeway, you will have a pretty good idea of the size of Cadillac's upcoming flagship sedan.

#3 ·
Looks like a LaCrosse with a different grill. As long as they don't put those goofy "cruiseliner ventiports" on the top of the hood! My buddy has a LaCrosse and I just don't have the heart to tell him how senseless and stupid they look. I'm glad Caddy removed them from the sides of the front fenders.

#8 ·
You are so right about to each his own... that's why I didn't say anything to my buddy. Those cruiseliner ventiports were originally suppose to mimic exhaust pipe exits, 1 for each cylinder (at least they stayed true to that). My '69 Camaro SS had the 8 (2 rows of 4) mock intake squares on the hood, but they mimicked air intakes. I was good with that. That's why I have a problem with them on the hood. Sort of like wearing your underpants on you head, IMHO... you can try it to be different, but that doesn't make it right. You might end up in the looney bin... or... you might start a fad! Who'd thought that people would start wearing their pants so low that their underware would show??? Or so low that they can bearly walk down the street!!!

Maybe I'm just too old fashioned

#7 ·

side shot ... just for reference... i see quite a bit of difference...
the similarity is in the overall design queues that GM is incorporating/evolving as each new model comes out

edit: okay okay... they do look a lot similar... but that's just a concept up top... lets see what hits the showroom floors

#11 ·
They need an XTS-L, and of course, 2 more cylinders...

Reactions: Lord Cadillac
#12 ·
...And, they shouldn't wait 1 or 2 years after the initial intro to do it! Here we go. Put "the paddles" on the N* to revive it, fix its issues of course, give it a couple of gulps from the "fountain of youth", reduce the size to the old Olds 4.0, add direct injection with hi compression and supercharger, or even twin turbo it.

While they're at it, how about a Torsen AWD system at all 3 diff points and just the 'XTS-L' designation on it and a few really cool design cues like real chrome dual exhaust exits, no big chrome lettering saying "SUPERCHARGED" or "BI-TURBO" or"TORSEN AWD" or any of that crap. Be powerful and elegant, like a Cadillac should be. BE THE LEADER. Not following behind Buick. ...SLAP, SLAP, SLAP. Wake up, ya ole fool!!!

#18 ·
It's too bad the new "Ultra" Northstar was canned. That would have solved all our engines programs. Unless I'm mistaken, the motor was finished. They just don't want V8s anymore...
I'm sorry... what? Are we forgetting the $890 million investment last year for the development of new, aluminum V8s?

Or are those not good enough because they didn't say "Built Exclusively for Cadillac by General Motors" in the article?

#22 ·
No no no, now you're twisting my words. You said it was as if Cadillac doesn't want V8s anymore. Nobody's said that, you're making your own inference, which is cool because in the grand scheme of things we're both peons and don't know what's going on.

I'm saying the V8s exist, and the logical thing to do would wait and see.

#23 ·
It certainly does seem like Cadillac doesn't want V8s anymore. But you're right. What do I know? Still:

V8 DTS being replaced by V6 XTS
V8 STS just going away
V8 SRX replaced by V6 SRX
Still no V8 in the CTS besides the V which hardly anyone buys.

Cadillac is testing the waters with an all V6 regular car lineup ala Acura. I don't see this working so well for Acura. Lowering the price of admission will gain more customers for the time being and maybe that'll work for Cadillac. Only time will tell.

I don't think Buick is going to be too happy about it, however.

#28 ·
Well the exterior definitely says "Blah". The interior definitely brings back what I expect from a Cadillac. I wish they could've put that interior into a DTS. I'd trade my 2011 DTS for that instead. But if they insist on making Cadillacs this small my next purchase has a high probability of being an A8 or 750. I loved the Cadillac name brand because, to me, it represented luxury WITH large size WITH the power to move that size.

#29 ·
I agree. I'm not crazy about the exterior. I can say it's going to light up very nicely at night.. It'll definitely have road presence then.. And I THINK they're making some minor changes to the exterior - so we may be in for a nice surprise.. As for the interior, I hope it stays close to what it is in the concept. It really is very impressive.. It kinda makes up for the bland exterior.

#31 ·
I'm just afraid it's going to be too small, but that might rectify itself once seen. The exterior and interior design, from what I've seen, I like.

As to the V6 -- I'll never buy a CTS, because it doesn't have a V8, and I really don't care about a V-Series -- so that would extend even more to the larger XTS.

As it stands, from a "car" perspective, I'll probably be joining Sal in LSland or in either Genesisgrove or Equusestates, or else 7ville when I'm ready to get rid of the DTS...

Reactions: Lord Cadillac
#35 ·
If the XTS is supposed to be Cadillac's flagship sedan, a car that important people would want to be seen in, the pinnacle of American luxury, it should not be STS-sized. Flagship is equivalent to the biggest and best. The XTS looks nice and all (that interior could TOTALLY go into a DTS!! :D) but it does not live up to the Cadillac flagship standard, in my opinion. The size of it will be its downfall. People will go with A8s, 7 series, and S classes. A V8 would be desirable, but a V6 with enough power to move it with the same amount of gusto would be fine. Just my 2 cents, here.

#45 ·
Buick takes on the Toyota Avalon with the LaCrosse - and to an extent, the Lexus ES350 as well - but the ES is about to move into it's next generation. The XTS's closest competitors will be the Lincoln MKS and Acura RL.

Good point and dead on! I believe, IMHO they are trying to neuter Cadillac, make it uninteresting, then send it the way of the Olds & Pontiac, and... because the Chinese love Buicks. Buick will be (which it is rapidly becoming) the GM darling. Buick will be shoved down our throats as the luxo offering from GM if we want them or not. Correct, I don't like Buicks. I love Cadillacs, not Cadillac wannabes.
This isn't a completely unreasonable thought but let's see what the flagship brings us in a few years. There's a lot of change coming to cadillac this decade so hopefully things improve. I think they will.

#46 ·
...This isn't a completely unreasonable thought but let's see what the flagship brings us in a few years. There's a lot of change coming to cadillac this decade so hopefully things improve. I think they will.
I really hope you are right. I am angry with what I see at GM/Cadillac and this is the only place I can vent. I know my STS4 N* isn't the most powerful out there, but it's no pansy either. It's what I believe Cadillac is about historically.

#47 ·
I really believe good things are coming.. GM is out of bankruptcy and they're making money on their new vehicles. It's only a matter of time before we start seeing what the new GM is capable of with Cadillac...

I really hope you are right. I am angry with what I see at GM/Cadillac and this is the only place I can vent. I know my STS4 N* isn't the most powerful out there, but it's no pansy either. It's what I believe Cadillac is about historically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.