Disappointment...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Disappointment... in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Swing and a miss!!! It's a gorgoues car, it really is. As a consumer I have always felt that a ...
    BamaCaddy08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS, DI, FE3

Disappointment...

Swing and a miss!!!

It's a gorgoues car, it really is. As a consumer I have always felt that a premium car needed 4 things in order to be a great vehicle and sell well.
    1. Nice interior- Luxury 101, great materials arranged in a nice way.
    2. RWD- a sporty feeling car that disguises its size and weight
    3. V8 Engine- Power, Power and more power... A must.
    4. Style- Set yourself apart and look like a rolling tuxedo/track suite.
    Is it just me or did Cadillac try this in 2005? The STS had numbers 2 and 3 but completely missed number one and was so so on number 4. Rubbermaid was glad to get the contract for the dash material but it left allot of us completely cold. The styling was also a bit bland. They however hit the nail on the head with the great Northstar V8 and a world class Sigma platform with sporty RWD and all the gadgets the Germans and Japanese could shake a stick at.
    Is it just me or had Cadillac seeminlgy forgot the things they had right? The XTS is gorgeous (4) and has an interior like a Bentley (1) but it is basically ruined by its drivetrain. Come on Cadillac! You had the drivetrain down! The STS has a great platform and you trade it in for this? Sad, it really is sad to see a company with so much momentum give it all up and give us this.
    Not to mention the fact that it throws a wrench in the whole lineup. Cadillac has built a reputation with its RWD CTS as an edgy sporty company. The XTS simpley aint that. It sure doesn't help to find out that its platform will be shared with the Impala. Granted, there are huge changes between the two but the consumers in this price range know what is going on and that alone turns most off including myself. The name Impala shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Cadillac. I know I don't want to buy into the same old badge engineered mentality that got GM in the mess they found themselves in.
    Words can't express my complete disappointment with this vehicle. I would have prefered a completely half a$$ P.O.S of a vehicle as opposed to get so close and yet so far. I see another black eye in the works for GM and for Cadillac. This car needs 3 things to be world class.
    1. RWD- Three simple letters that bring in the 50k+ buyer, just as BMW, MB etc.
    2. V8- Cadillac's leadership thinks they can "set trends", the trend setting days for Cadillac are long past, stick to the formula that works. Give it a V8 and not something out of a Vette. Give us a new evolution of the Northstar or something new entirely, just something modern that sets itself apart from the Vette's.
    3. New platform- Maybe not entirely but dear god rename the version Cadillac uses; anything to set it apart from the Impala. 50k+ buyers don't even want the switchgear to be from a Chevrolet much less the basic underpinnings. If we wanted a Chevy we would have bought one. Give us a Cadillac, a real one like the CTS.
    Maybe Cadillac will listen; I hope they do. Give the consumer what they want not what you think they want. It isn't difficult but this car screams that its bussiness as usual at GM. "No, no your too dumb to know what you want here buy this" they say, as yet more people turn for their local BMW and MB dealers.
    This car can easily be summed up by the old adage, swing and a miss.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vinsanity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Re: Disappointment...

yeah I dunno why Cadillac decided to forgo their two excellent RWD platform in favor of a FWD one used for family sedans. The XTS has excellent styling details, but still can't hide its "supersized Corolla" proportions. Using Sigma or Zeta would fix that problem right up.

as far as the V8 powerplant is concerned, that's the tricky part. The N* has basically reached the end of its development potential, and Cadillac has cancelled development of its V8 replacement even before GM went to the shitter. The only other option I can think of besides an adaptation of an LSx engine is to develop a 4.8L V8 based on the current 3.6L V6. Which ain't gonna be cheap either.

Edward Toro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

The XTS is already to advance in development no changes will be made.
    I think I will find myself a beautiful XLR-V or STS-V and keep it for another 10 years until Cadillac get back to its roots.

Sorry but I'm not going to buy a 50-70 car that is sharing components with a chevy impala.

This is sad. I bought my first cadillac when I was 19 and been driven Cadillacs since then.

Really sad.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    yeah I dunno why Cadillac decided to forgo their two excellent RWD platform in favor of a FWD one used for family sedans. The XTS has excellent styling details, but still can't hide its "supersized Corolla" proportions. Using Sigma or Zeta would fix that problem right up.

as far as the V8 powerplant is concerned, that's the tricky part. The N* has basically reached the end of its development potential, and Cadillac has cancelled development of its V8 replacement even before GM went to the shitter. The only other option I can think of besides an adaptation of an LSx engine is to develop a 4.8L V8 based on the current 3.6L V6. Which ain't gonna be cheap either.
    From what Ive read, the Sigma II platform is near its limits in the 2nd gen CTS as to how big it can be stretched safely. Id also guess that production capability and cost of the Zeta platform is potentially why they didnt go that direction. Isnt GM working on a new Zeta for this side of the world?

Id agree the XTS needs to be rwd based, and it needs a V8 to go with the V6Hybrid...but it seems the choices are few...

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Toro View Post
    The XTS is already to advance in development no changes will be made.
    I think I will find myself a beautiful XLR-V or STS-V and keep it for another 10 years until Cadillac get back to its roots.

Sorry but I'm not going to buy a 50-70 car that is sharing components with a chevy impala.

This is sad. I bought my first cadillac when I was 19 and been driven Cadillacs since then.

Really sad.
    What makes you think it will share anything with the Chevy Impala?

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    From what Ive read, the Sigma II platform is near its limits in the 2nd gen CTS as to how big it can be stretched safely. Id also guess that production capability and cost of the Zeta platform is potentially why they didnt go that direction. Isnt GM working on a new Zeta for this side of the world?

Id agree the XTS needs to be rwd based, and it needs a V8 to go with the V6Hybrid...but it seems the choices are few...
    I'd imagine that if it's cost-effective for a $23k Camaro, then it'd be much easier for a $50k+ Cadillac to absorb the production cost of the platform. Heck, A theoretical Zeta XTS would probably be the most expensive car to utilize that platform.

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

I agree, I feel that they were going in the right direction with their lines (moving back to RWD, etc) but are now starting to circle back to their old, bad habits. This disappoints me.

CopperSunburstCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I may be wrong, but i thought the new model will eventually replace the DTS and the STS. While i certainly prefer a RWD car (I had a 2003 CTS and will be buying the Coupe in the Summer) there are probably way more DTS buyers than STS buyers, and the DTS buyers prefer FWD. Almost all STS buyers have the CTS to go to if they wantr RWD, it is almost as big interior-wise. Cadillac doesn't want to allienate the remaining DTS/Deville buyers, and there are advantages to FWD that are appreciated (w/o having to go to AWD) in a luxury car. Remember, this car will place the emphasis on luxury, not sportyness, that's what the CTS is for (and the smaller upcomong BLS).

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

There are plenty of cars that place emphasis on luxury over sportiness that are still RWD

Quote Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
    There are plenty of cars that place emphasis on luxury over sportiness that are still RWD
    exactly. The reason that the Lexus LS, Mercedes S-class, and all the Rollers are RWD is because that drivetrain layout is more balanced to provide a smooth ride due to better weight distribution, which allows for more ideal suspension tuning (the front suspension doesn't need to be stiffened to support the entire weight of the drivetrain over the front wheels).

Also, balanced handling is something that can be appreciated in a luxo cruiser as well as a sport sedan.

Anthony Cipriano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Honestly, I can deal with just about everything except for the sides of the XTS. I'm not in love with the exterior design but it doesn't look bad. It just looks boring from the sides. The drivetrain is probably going to be fine. I'd rather have RWD but I do feel there's a place for a big all wheel drive vehicle in Cadillac's lineup. Save the RWD for the car that actually competes with the S-Class and 7-Series, if we ever get it. The interior looks nice and hopefully it doesn't change too much.

CadillacZach77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood

I pretty much agree with everything you said except for the vette motor part.

The world would be a much better place if we had more Cadillacs with vette motors in them

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.