Cadillac XTS Platinum Concept: Pictures and video interview with interior designer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Cadillac XTS Platinum Concept: Pictures and video interview with interior designer in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I had a chance to interview the interior designer of the XTS. I packaged it together with 20 or photos ...
    rwcmick is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cadillac XTS Platinum Concept: Pictures and video interview with interior designer

I had a chance to interview the interior designer of the XTS. I packaged it together with 20 or photos from the show floor. You can check it out if you visit bit.ly/8ys8uO

Christine was great to interview and if you have interest in the XTS concept, I think you'll find what she has to say to be enlightening.

As for the rear headrest, it one solid cushion running across the rear seat.

I really liked the wood inlays in the seats. Ed Welburn said that the designers had debated that feature, some thought it might date the design, but I give it a thumbs up.

The laser etching was something I was less impressed with.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the stuff!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

Re: Cadillac XTS Platinum Concept: Pictures and video interview with interior designe

Thanks. Informative. It sounds like she was the designer of the "theme" of the interior. I'm sure a whole team of engineers did the actual design. They put her out there because she's the best looking - ha ha.

Is it your impression that the hybrid piece would be an option or would they all have it?

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Re: Cadillac XTS Platinum Concept: Pictures and video interview with interior designe

I'd like to know why there's no rear center armrest, much less a fancy show-car console. Did they run out of time?

Also, why does it look like the rear headrest is a separate piece, with another joint across the package shelf?

How does head and legroom compare with current DTS or Lacrosse, especially in the rear, or did they let people sit in it?

What was the silver square thing on the ceiling above the mirror?

Thanks for the photos.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by rwcmick View Post
    I had a chance to interview the interior designer of the XTS. I packaged it together with 20 or photos from the show floor. You can check it out if you visit bit.ly/8ys8uO

Christine was great to interview and if you have interest in the XTS concept, I think you'll find what she has to say to be enlightening.

As for the rear headrest, it one solid cushion running across the rear seat.

I really liked the wood inlays in the seats. Ed Welburn said that the designers had debated that feature, some thought it might date the design, but I give it a thumbs up.

The laser etching was something I was less impressed with.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the stuff!
    Great first post! Welcome!
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

rwcmick is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    I'm sure a whole team of engineers did the actual design. They put her out there because she's the best looking
    I think you nailed it. I certainly didn't mind interviewing her She did come up with the theme, but as you said, I'm sure a whole team pulled it together. They didn't let me sit in the car, so I can't speak to the interior space. You notice that they even yelled at the designer when she sat inside.

The whole rear headrest thing seemed a bit flight of fancy, so I'm sure that whole rear seat area didn't absorb a whole lot of time. I think they really wanted to stress the "layering" of materials, the OLED dash, etc. Not sure about the silver thingy

I get the impression that any hybrid models would be higher end options. I think you'll def. see a platinum version in production.

Clay Dean, told me that there will be a very subdued "concept" at Pebble Beach (more like different finishes than a different car) and then hinted at something pretty big for the LA show, but he wouldn't say more than that.

Dean also said that the rearward facing LEDs in the new 2011 MKX are something they'll be doing as well for a more "premium" look. He also will continue to explore the vertical theme in lighting, he wants Cadillac to really own that element. They are looking at light pipe-like technology where you cannot determine where the light source is. Sounds pretty cool.

Rodya234 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala

^ Did they mention anything about the Chicago Auto Show? I'm assuming that they're going to have one there, so the I'll be spending a lot of time at the Cadillac area!

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

Thanks for all the great info rwcmick! Glad you're on here with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodya234 View Post
    ^ Did they mention anything about the Chicago Auto Show? I'm assuming that they're going to have one there, so the I'll be spending a lot of time at the Cadillac area!
    I emailed through cadillac.com and got this response about the DC show:

Thank you for contacting Cadillac and your interest in the XTS Platinum Concept. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us.

We do not have any information regarding availability of the Cadillac XTS Platinum concept vehicle at the Washington, D.C. Auto Show. Our information only states that this vehicle is being revealed at the North American International Auto Show held in Detroit, Michigan from January 11-24, 2010. For information about vehicles on display at the Washington D.C. Auto Show, you can visit their website at http://www.washingtonautoshow.com. Please keep in mind that General Motors does not maintain or endorse this site and is not responsible for its contents.
    Presumably, someone knows when this car will be shown again, but they haven't told the marketing people yet.

Last year, that website had a picture of the Converj concept car on its front page, so I drove 300 miles to DC, and it was only shown on the press day, not to the public.

MarieOnCape is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DTS

First, this car has some beautiful elements inside. I was happy to see a return to some elegant shapes like the door release pulls like we have on the 2000 -2005 DeVilles. I think the wood flows nicely. I am more excited about the XTS than I am the 2006 - 2010 DTS style-wise.

However, Christine goes to great lengths to talk about the design of the instrument panel and the elements used to give it a very wide look (is this car a lot narrower than the DTS so it needs it I wonder?). That is all well and good, but then why waste all the beautiful real estate by plugging in a such a small "instrument" cluster? One of the things I love about my 2004 DTS is the instruments and the spacious feel of the gage cluster itself. I liked it from the time I first drove it, but didn't realize how much until I rented a new CTS for several days. The instruments in that car are all small, close together, and cramped even though I wasn't. I loved getting back into my 2004 for the feeling of unmitigated luxury.

One of the qualities of luxury has often included space. It seems a shame to waste it as it appears to have been done in the XTS. I'd like to see them use that space to allow for a larger display where there would be room for proper instruments - even if they are of the virtual style. Motorcycle gages are fine on motorcycles, but why impose them on a car if there is room not to?

And, I understand that she was responsible for the theme and probably not the execution, but as a woman I wonder if it occurred to her to try to include a design solution for where to put your purse? I remember Buick had women designers work on the Rendezvous and it was obvious when you looked inside where there were several thoughtful touches - including a place for your purse. (Not that I think the Rendezvous is the culmination of all design, so please don't think that).

Several other things were missing from the interior which I assume will be added for the production model:

Over-door grab handles
    Door and seat-back storage pockets
    Rear center armrest
    Second set of visors

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.