Cadillac Owners Forum banner
26K views 60 replies 41 participants last post by  C&C 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are the latest renderings of the upcoming Cadillac XTS (STS and DTS replacement)

What is it?
Cadillac XTS Platinum Concept

What's special about it?
What a difference seven years make. It was at the Detroit auto show in 2003 that Cadillac last unveiled a full-size luxury sedan concept, the outrageous Sixteen, a fantastical 1,000-horsepower vision intended to evoke the grandest of grand days for the company some 70 years prior.

For the 2010 Detroit show, Cadillac is showing an entirely more sober full-size sedan concept, the XTS Platinum. In stark contrast to the Sixteen, which was powered by a monstrous 13.6-liter V16 engine, the XTS is conceived to have a plug-in hybrid powertrain using the familiar 3.6-liter V6 along with at least one electric motor and a lithium-ion battery pack. So the XTS's powertrain has 10 fewer cylinders, 10 fewer liters of displacement and 650 fewer horses than the Sixteen's.

But at a combined 350 hp and 295 pound-feet of torque, the XTS concept's powertrain is also a whole bunch more feasible for an eventual production car — one that won't cost a quarter-million dollars. In fact, the whole concept is much more feasible for production since the XTS Platinum concept reveals key elements of the XTS production luxury sedan that will replace the DTS front-drive sedan, as well as the STS rear-drive sedan, and is certain to go into production at GM's Oshawa, Ontario, plant in January 2012.

The XTS concept, which splits the difference between the DTS and STS by using all-wheel drive, also is right between the two existing sedans in overall length. The XTS concept rides on exactly the same length (111.7-inch) wheelbase as the Buick LaCrosse. The production XTS, which Cadillac will begin producing in 2011 or early 2012, will use the same Epsilon II platform as the LaCrosse.

The broad outline of the concept's styling hints at the production car. We expect to see this CTS-style grille, sans the satin finish, on the nose of the production car, along with the stacked headlights that are stretched rearward along the top of the fenders. The rising beltline and side crease look ready for the stamping plant. And the concept's tall-in-height but short-in-length trunk and fast backlight should confound viewers on the production as much as it will on the concept.

Following current Cadillac practice, we anticipate that the production car will also carry the concept's vertical taillamps that suggest tailfins by standing slightly proud of the trunk. And yes, you might even see a boomerang-shaped deck lid spoiler on a Cadillac DTS replacement. The nicely finished 20-inch aluminum wheels look production ready. The billet-aluminum exterior trim work? Not so much. We're pleased to finally see the end of useless fender vents that have become such a cliché of late. The XTS's fenders have no holes.

The twin fuel-filler doors (one per rear fender) are a concession to the plug-in powertrain that the XTS concept is supposed to have. There's one for gas and one for the electrical outlet.

Adding "Platinum" to the concept's name suggests that Cadillac intends to continue and likely broaden the super-luxury trim line that's been most popular on Escalade SUVs.

But Cadillac doesn't want to talk about the exterior so much. Indeed, it says that the XTS concept was "built from the inside out." Haven't heard that one before, have you? Well, try this one: "The interior takes inspiration from nature, specifically the intricate layer of petals that combine to form an orchid." Sorry for blowing your mind there, Chief.

While we chew on that one for awhile, know that the interior uses cool organic light-emitting diode (O-LED) displays in place of conventional gauges and screens. And so for that bit of theater, the panels are dark until the car is turned on and illuminate all manner of entertainment and information options. The rest of the interior is Cadillac's idea of what a modern, high-quality luxury cabin should look like in all its creamy-colored, gently lighted, smoky-wooded, laser-etched suede-y goodness.

Inside Line says: We liked the Sixteen better. But then, we also liked the housing bubble, before it popped anyway. — Daniel Pund, Senior Editor, Detroit
I actually think overall it looks very sharp, good job GM!

See less See more
#3 ·
If the final product is close to these renderings I may as well start painting the garage, cause we will be bringing a new baby home!!!!
This car looks awesome, clean crisp lines with the necessary Cadillac cues. Bravo, design well done.
Psst - please don't say anything to my 05 STS, but I will find her a good home............................................ Joe P

#7 ·
I'm gonna get yelled at but did anyone else see this:

and think this:

I love the interior, but the out side seems a little lifted, specially against the CTS's newness.

Don't get me wrong, I want one - but it's irking me a little.

p.s. where are the heated rear seats, the extra climate controls, etc. Step backwards w/out it.

#12 ·
I'm gonna get yelled at but did anyone else see this:

and think this:

I love the interior, but the out side seems a little lifted, specially against the CTS's newness.

Don't get me wrong, I want one - but it's irking me a little.

p.s. where are the heated rear seats, the extra climate controls, etc. Step backwards w/out it.

I dont think it looks anything like the Avalon.

#13 ·
I think it kind of looks like my STS - Ha Ha, which makes it a nice looking car. Interior way cool.

What about this hybrid thing though? Will that be an option or will they all have it. I'm not sold on those yet. Maybe if the batteries have like a 20 year warranty, otherwise there will eventually be "hybrids" out there without the batteries because they cost way too much to replace them. Not to mention all the other hybrid parts that can break.

#18 ·
Interior looks enticing but the exterior just does not have that stand out Cadillac feel. Car looks sharp, but it doesn't have any of that agressive look. Seems like the designers went from trying to stand out from the German luxury sedans and tried to blend in with the Japanese higher end family sedans. I agree with that avalon comparison. I think this looks way better than the Avalon but it looks like it is set to compete with it. I want to compete with the BMW 5 series again!

#21 ·
@Jesda:

As a moderator, can you pls find out why ON THE DAY that the XTS came out, the XTS forum became inaccessible?

@all: Love the interior, will probably get to like the exterior, and, like the rest of us, will get used to having to live with Hybrid.

AWD sounds good, though, got to love it on my STS4!

#22 ·
I really have serious reservations about this program. I think the design is beautiful but the LaCrosse platform is FWD based. Sure it can be AWD but so can a minivan. The current SRX in my mind was an attempt to once again fool Cadillac customers--it has a lot of the right look and features but it is and never will be an enthusiasts' car. The STS was on the right track with a chassis that could fulfill what a driver's machine needed to be. The only remaining vehicle left on the Sigma platform will be the CTS, and I can't imagine that the downtown Lansing plant will survive on that alone. The XTS could be a decent DTS replacement but definitely not an STS. Maybe what we remember as an STS truly is gone. Now there is a bit of a potential surprise in all of this--the fact that it will be built in Oshawa doesn't necessarily mean that it will be built on the LaCrosse underpinnings. Remember that the RWD Camaro (aka pontiac G8 chassis) is also built there.

#31 ·
It's a good-looking car. A very nice replacement for the DTS. Especially on the inside.. As long as they're improving with each redesign, than things are looking up. And since they've already declared that this isn't supposed to be the luxury flagship that competes with the best on the market, we don't need to hold them to that. It just needs to be a better DTS - and the rest will come...

#32 ·
Wow, i dont like this thing at all.

I also noticed the Toyota Avalon resemblance immediately, thats an extreme turn off for me. I definitely see this filling in for the DTS but not the STS. Granted the 08+ CTS could fill the void left from the STS but I have been talking mess to CTS owners since I got my STS. I assume they will do a redesign of the CTS and make it a little more STSish at the same time they release the XTS.

Man, that thing is ugly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.