Cadillac Owners Forum banner
25K views 77 replies 31 participants last post by  hueterm 
#1 ·
- A new study re-imagining the luxury sedan, showcasing the progression of the Cadillac Art and Science philosophy
- Designed from the inside out, featuring a new concept for the interface between the driver and the auto electronics
- Plug-in hybrid system is matched with a 3.6L V-6 and all-wheel drive for dynamic and efficient performance

DETROIT – Cadillac unveiled the XTS Platinum Concept at the 2010 North American International Auto Show, suggesting a new paradigm for the luxury sedan of the future. The concept showcases Cadillac’s emerging top-of-the-line Platinum series of models, emphasizing new expressions of luxury and technological features, including a plug-in hybrid propulsion system.

The XTS Platinum Concept was designed from the inside out, re-imagining the luxury sedan as a personal headquarters, built for efficiency, luxury and connectivity. The concept introduces a new approach to in-car electronics that improves the form and function of the car’s entertainment, navigation and information systems.

“The XTS Platinum concept is the next expression of Cadillac’s Art and Science execution philosophy, reflecting our drive to deliver the latest innovations in the most artful manner,” said Bryan Nesbitt, Cadillac general manager. “We envisioned this concept as an automotive personal headquarters, using advanced technology to enable new levels of connectivity and luxury.”

The XTS Platinum Concept uses Cadillac’s 3.6L V-6 Direct Injection gas engine, paired with a plug-in hybrid system. The plug-in technology enables the battery to fully charge from a standard electrical outlet, enabling pure electric propulsion in many driving situations, especially urban commutes in which fuel efficiency may double that of a conventional hybrid.

Traditional luxury sedans were defined by elegant interiors and Cadillac’s XTS Platinum Concept propels that formula into the future. It delivers new approaches to luxury within a design that combines fine craftsmanship with customer-driven innovation. Like the current Platinum Edition products, such as Escalade Platinum and the STS and DTS Platinum sedans, the interior is based on hand cut-and-sewn materials. The XTS Platinum Concept injects more contemporary forms and themes into the interior design, including the use of Organic Light-Emitting Diode (O-LED) displays in place of traditional gauges and screens.

The concept previews a new integration philosophy guiding the development of future models with respect to in-car electronics. The intent is to progress Cadillac’s intuitive in-car electronics systems, typified by the deployable touch-screen navigation system that has been highly acclaimed in the brand’s CTS and SRX product lines. The XTS Platinum Concept previews this strategy via the minimization of traditional buttons and switches. Designers blended the display screens into a flowing instrument panel. They call it a “dead front” design, because the panels appear black until the car is turned on and the screens illuminate. The instrument panel itself reflects the XTS Platinum’s other focus – uncompromising luxury and attention to detail on the interior.

“The Platinum distinction in Cadillac means the fullest extent of luxury and technology and we’ve tried to reach even further with this concept,” said Clay Dean, Cadillac design director. “Just as the technology pushes the boundaries of what a Cadillac can offer, so do the details that make the XTS Platinum Concept an uncompromising experience.”

The interior takes inspiration from nature, specifically the intricate layers of petals that combine to form an orchid. Cadillac designers translated that into a layered and detailed interior. Light cream is the cabin’s primary color and is contrasted with darker elements, such as the steering wheel and an overhead console motif that runs the length of interior’s roof. The console is made of a richly finished wood and houses lighting features.

Premium leather seats include a new style of automotive suede, with a laser-etched pattern. The patterned material adorns the center sections of the seats and accents the door trim. Thoughtfully detailed stitching is used throughout the interior, including the seats, instrument panel and door panels. Passengers in the spacious rear compartment of the XTS Platinum Concept also have access to the car’s connectivity feature, along with a range of infotainment choices.

“We never lost sight of the fact that a large luxury sedan needs to be spacious and accommodating,” said Dean. “Passengers will find generous headroom, legroom and knee space, along with the technology elements that make the drive more productive.”

A new proportion

The XTS Platinum Concept has a distinctive proportion that transcends the traditional aesthetic of luxury sedans and carries the brand’s Art and Science design in a more progressive manner. The unique proportion supports the “inside out” design priority, while creating a sleek profile that complements the car’s advanced technology elements and necessary aerodynamics.

“The XTS Platinum Concept design artfully conveys its focus on functionality through technology,” said Dean. “It is the antithesis of the conventional three-box sedan, suggesting the active evolution of Cadillac’s design language.”

A sweeping profile culminates in a short, high deck lid that meets the XTS Platinum Concept’s aerodynamic needs – including a rear spoiler mounted on the deck lid, incorporating the center high-mounted stop lamp. A high, sloping beltline gestures the vehicle forward, suggesting motion, while the fenders flare outward wrapping tightly around 20-inch wheels and tires. The wheel-to-body proportion was carefully tailored to visually communicate the car’s all-wheel-drive chassis.

Like the interior, the exterior elements are precisely tailored and elegantly detailed. Brushed billet aluminum trim is used selectively and the 20-inch, 11-spoke wheels feature a brushed aluminum face accented with bright inserts within the spokes. The wheels are wrapped with special Bridgestone tires that were created specifically for the XTS Platinum Concept.

Signature elements essential to Cadillac’s Art and Science design language include vertical headlamp and taillamps, with integrated light pipes and richly detailed lighting components. The headlamps feature light-emitting diode technology for bright illumination that requires less energy, as well as Cadillac’s Adaptive Forward Lighting technology, which turns the headlamps with the direction of the front wheels for greater visibility in turns.

Purposeful and efficient performance

The XTS Platinum concept’s plug-in hybrid electric propulsion system (PHEV) builds on the experience Cadillac has gained with the Escalade Hybrid and Escalade Platinum Hybrid flagship models. The plug-in capability boosts the car’s electric-only driving capability, offering additional battery energy capacity and enabling it to recharge from a standard external electrical outlet. The key benefit of external plug-in recharging is that in many situations – such as overnight parking – the battery can fully recharge in roughly five hours while the car is not in use. The plug-in system operates at maximum efficiency when operating on power the battery has drawn from the electric grid. In some conditions, such as urban commutes, drivers can experience efficiency that doubles that of conventional hybrids.

At higher speeds or when conditions demand it, such as brisk acceleration, a combination of engine power and electric power or engine power only, propels the vehicle. The combination of the Direct Injection V-6 engine and the PHEV system featuring fully electric variable drive provides a spirited driving experience. The system provides an estimated 350 horsepower (260 kW) and 295 lb.-ft. of torque (400 Nm).

Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) enables the XTS Platinum Concept to deliver superior road-holding performance while maintaining luxury car composure in “regular” driving conditions. It uses shocks controlled by advanced magneto-rheological technology, rather than mechanical valves, to greatly accelerate response time and precision.

MRC uses electronic sensors at all four wheels to literally “read the road” every millisecond, making constant adjustments to damping to create virtually instantaneous and extremely precise control of body motions.

An advanced, specially calibrated all-wheel-drive system ensures optimal traction in wet and slippery conditions, and helps deliver maximum traction while cornering. Four-wheel disc brakes, with four-channel ABS, StabiliTrak stability control and full-function traction control complete the drivetrain details.

“The XTS Platinum Concept was designed to deliver an engaging driving experience without compromising the functional features, space and comfort customers seek in a luxury car,” said Nesbitt. “It is a new vision of luxury that uses advanced technology to deliver functionality efficiently and rewardingly.”

About Cadillac

Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. In recent years, Cadillac has engineered a historic renaissance led by artful engineering and global expansion. More information on Cadillac can be found at media.cadillac.com.

# # #

CADILLAC XTS PLATINUM CONCEPT SPECIFICATIONS

Vehicle type: luxury sedan concept

Wheelbase (in / mm): 111.7 / 2837

Length (in / mm): 203.5 / 5170

Width (in / mm): 74.8 / 1900

Height (in / mm): 59.1 / 1500

Track (in / mm): 62.6 / 1589 (front); 62.8 / 1594 (rear)

Powertrain: plug-in hybrid system with 3.6L Direct Injection gas engine (with variable valve timing); lithium ion battery

Suspension: four-wheel independent with Magnetic Ride Control.

Brakes: four-wheel disc with electric park brake system

Wheels: 20-in front / 20-in rear

Estimated power: 350 hp (260 kW) / 295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm)

See less See more
#3 ·
The 350 HP is gas+electric combined, right?

#5 ·
I hope they make it to production and we will see them in the other future models as well!

#8 ·
Larger version of the 2010 LaCrosse/Allure (Delta Platform). Base FWD with available AWD that sends 100% of the power to the rear under acceleration to eliminate torque steer.

I'm looking forward to it. :)

#11 ·

Although I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an epic fail, I do maintain that they are making a big mistake in using the wrong chassis. If they want to make that comparison with the S-class hybrid more than just laughable marketing hyperbole, they need to man up and bring out a true premium platform for this car. At the very least use the Zeta as a starting point, which has been proven as a proper design for a full-size luxury car in successful markets.

The car looks handsome, but it won't set the world on fire. It's a fine replacement for the DTS, but it's not a Euro-fighter like a 2nd-gen STS should have been. A 4-door coupe on a stretched Sigma chassis would've made a fine STS.

#10 · (Edited)
Where to start. As someone who's owned a few DeVilles/DTS ('91, '94, '98, '03, '06, '08), I had high hopes for this vehicle especially in light of the '06 refresh. Cadillac has surveyed me several times asking what I wanted in the replacement for the DTS and this aint it. All I see here is an EPIC FAILURE. Aside from the hybrid powertrain, there's nothing new here. Its just another refresh, only on a different FWD platform.

Now that I've looked at actual pictures from the show its more decontented than from '05 to '06.
From the live pictures vs my '08 DTS Platinum the XTS is missing:
-Rainsensor
-Auto high beams
-Rear seat climate control
-Rear seat armrest
-Massaging front seats
-Alcantara headliner
-Rear window sunshade (I'm still pissed about losing them from the rear doors with the '06 refresh, now its gone from the rear window too)
-Rear seat vanity mirrors
-Heated rear seats
-Rear seat lumbar control
-Rear seat adjustable headrests
-Front and rear park assist
-Lane Departure Warning
-Side Blind Zone Alert
-should I go on?????

The hybrid powertrain notwithstanding, this appears to be an update of the CTS rather than a replacement for the DTS.

To me this thing has failure written all over it. I said my '06 DTS was my last Cadillac, but the Platinum was enough of an upgrade that I relented and picked up an '08 DTS. But Cadillac just lost me. When the lease is up on my '08 this fall, for the first time since I began driving, it won't be in a Cadillac.

#15 ·
Now that I've looked at actual pictures from the show its more decontented than from '05 to '06.
From the live pictures vs my '08 DTS Platinum the XTS is missing:
-Rainsensor
-Auto high beams
-Rear seat climate control
-Rear seat armrest
-Massaging front seats
-Alcantara headliner
-Rear window sunshade (I'm still pissed about losing them from the rear doors with the '06 refresh, now its gone from the rear window too)
-Rear seat vanity mirrors
-Heated rear seats
-Rear seat lumbar control
-Rear seat adjustable headrests
-Front and rear park assist
-Lane Departure Warning
-Side Blind Zone Alert
-should I go on?????

The hybrid powertrain notwithstanding, this appears to be an update of the CTS rather than a replacement for the DTS.

To me this thing has failure written all over it. I said my '06 DTS was my last Cadillac, but the Platinum was enough of an upgrade that I relented and picked up an '08 DTS. But Cadillac just lost me. When the lease is up on my '08 this fall, for the first time since I began driving, it won't be in a Cadillac.
It's a concept car, not a production ready unit. Concepts are built by designers to look pretty in magazines, so they use ridiculous side mirrors you can't see anything in, goofy tires, one-off center consoles with no production rear HVAC controls, custom made rear seats without the fold out armrest, etc etc....

Half the time concepts don't even have functional windows or brakes, because putting stuff like that on a concept would be a waste of parts and money. I doubt the lack of functioning side blind zone alert (and the other items you mention) on this show piece is indicative of the option not being offered for production.

#14 · (Edited)
Oh, I thought I read mention of the S-class hybrid in the press release; it was mentioned instead in the Autoblog article. My bad.

But isn't this supposed to be Cadillac's flagship sedan? And it's competing with one of Lexus's entry models? Isn't the new Buick supposed to compete with the Lexus ES? This is confusing.

Also, I assume that there will be HVAC and stereo controls on the rear armrest for back seat passengers? Or a rear armrest at all? Doesn't look like there's one in that back seat pic, and IIRC, the Epsilon cars don't have one for some reason.

#16 ·
Compared to the "blue" version of the Mercedes S-Class, the Cadillac XTS is pretty powerful. That's the similarity I remember reading about.. Otherwise, this isn't supposed to be Cadillac's flagship. Everybody stating so is WRONG. The DTS wasn't a flagship - and this is more of a replacement for the DTS than the STS. This model is supposed to slot just above the CTS.

You're right. The Buick LaCrosse competes with the Lexus ES350. So does the XTS (it certainly doesn't compete with the Lexus LS460 or Lexus GS). The LaCrosse and XTS will compete with one another. Those who want more technology and power will buy the XTS - but they're generally very similar otherwise. This is the way GM does things. Let's see how it works for them.

#18 ·
With respect to all the technological goodies -- adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, heads-up display, etc. -- note that the LaCrosse has nearly all of these, so I would expect the XTS to have them, too. Actually the LaCrosse has all of the important ones I want, save adaptive cruise control and (I think) push-button start.

I have a V8 STS 1SG, and can really see myself going to the XTS if it has the goods.

#19 ·
We're 1.5-2 years away from the showroom when it will probably launch as the new DTS. And indeed the package of the LaCrosse will secure the package of the DTS plus some more.

I hope there will be a new V8 by then and they will use the 2.9L turbo diesel for it as well.

#21 ·
The CTS is the car that aimed right at the heart of Germany- the 5 series was absolutely the benchmark for the CTS, and you can tell by the nearly identical dimensions. From day one, the CTS has been marketed as "a 5 series for the price of a 3 series".

As time has passed the price of the CTS has crept up, and more content has been added (40gb HDD, adaptive headlights, cooled seats, DI motor, etc..)- expect that to continue in the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see things like front parking sensors added to the CTS in the next few years, because the CTS can no longer be considered an "entry lux" car. Cadillac will be coming out with the ATS sedan to fill the place the CTS started life in, while the XTS will appeal to people looking less for performance and more for comfort and amenities.

Let's not forget people- Cadillac built their reputation for awesome cars on gigantic barges that never came close to handling like a Mercedes, but rather on ostentatious excess of wood, chrome and a luxurious ride. Does anyone think that a Brougham D'elegance held a candle to a comparable BMW of the time in terms of handling? Of course not, but the world loved them for luxury and ride. So the XTS is front wheel drive- so what? No one cares what a 7 series Bimmer handles like on a track except Jeremy Clarkson and a few magazine editors. 95% of 7 series BMWs are driven leisurely in a straight line by an executive on the way to a meeting and maybe occasionally gunned away from a stoplight or on ramp, while swaddling the driver with tons of creature comforts, toys and quietness. The XTS will fill that exact same duty for Cadillac, and from what I've seen it will do so with aplomb.

The measure of luxury is not which wheels are driving the car or how big the motor is- it's in the interior details, the toys, the quietness and the ride. This idea that a large luxury car can't be taken seriously unless it's a 600hp rear wheel drive track demon is ridiculous.

#22 ·
The CTS is the car that aimed right at the heart of Germany- the 5 series was absolutely the benchmark for the CTS, and you can tell by the nearly identical dimensions. From day one, the CTS has been marketed as "a 5 series for the price of a 3 series".

As time has passed the price of the CTS has crept up, and more content has been added (40gb HDD, adaptive headlights, cooled seats, DI motor, etc..)- expect that to continue in the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see things like front parking sensors added to the CTS in the next few years, because the CTS can no longer be considered an "entry lux" car. Cadillac will be coming out with the ATS sedan to fill the place the CTS started life in, while the XTS will appeal to people looking less for performance and more for comfort and amenities.

Let's not forget people- Cadillac built their reputation for awesome cars on gigantic barges that never came close to handling like a Mercedes, but rather on ostentatious excess of wood, chrome and a luxurious ride. Does anyone think that a Brougham D'elegance held a candle to a comparable BMW of the time in terms of handling? Of course not, but the world loved them for luxury and ride. So the XTS is front wheel drive- so what? No one cares what a 7 series Bimmer handles like on a track except Jeremy Clarkson and a few magazine editors. 95% of 7 series BMWs are driven leisurely in a straight line by an executive on the way to a meeting and maybe occasionally gunned away from a stoplight or on ramp, while swaddling the driver with tons of creature comforts, toys and quietness. The XTS will fill that exact same duty for Cadillac, and from what I've seen it will do so with aplomb.

The measure of luxury is not which wheels are driving the car or how big the motor is- it's in the interior details, the toys, the quietness and the ride. This idea that a large luxury car can't be taken seriously unless it's a 600hp rear wheel drive track demon is ridiculous.

Amen!

#24 ·
Autoextremist.com, which has been bluntly critical of GM (but not to the ridiculous level of The Truth About Cars — there's a wildly misleading label), absolutely raves about the XTS in this week's issue:
But even bigger headlines went to the beautiful Cadillac XTS Platinum concept, which will replace two entries in the Cadillac lineup - the long-in-the-tooth STS and DTS sedans – when it makes its showroom debut two-and-one-half years from now. The XTS is easily more elegant than the new A8 from Audi and the 7 Series from BMW in the flesh, and its interior is equal to if not better than any mainstream premium luxury car in the world today. It’s that good. GM is talking about a hybrid V6 all-wheel-drive powertrain for the XTS, but it doesn’t matter, because for the first time in a long time a beautiful full-size Cadillac is on the horizon. And that’s a very good thing.

The Autoextremist Best in Show: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but Ed Welburn’s troops at GM Design have been on a roll for several years now, and they’ve done it yet again with the sensational Cadillac XTS Platinum Concept. Wonderfully proportioned and craftily rendered, the surface detailing alone on this machine is nothing short of a clinic on how it’s done. Combine that with an interior design and execution that’s simply second to none, and the XTS Platinum has everything a car worthy of “best in show” accolades must have from where we sit. The Cadillac XTS Platinum not only has a majestic presence, it’s clearly the direct spiritual successor to the magnificent Sixteen concept from several years ago. The XTS Platinum will allow Cadillac to take its rightful place again as the ultimate expression of American luxury, and the new Standard of the World.

#31 ·
LaCrosse base prices are now $27-33k. "They" say the XTS will be in the $45-55k range, so the Cadillac will have to have lots of extra toys and horsepower to justify the price difference.

There's a "GAP" button on the steering wheel, presumably for adaptive cruise control. Rear temp controls are on the armrests, but it's very odd there's no center armrest, much less the fancy consoles show cars often have. Storage pockets and grab handles are also missing in the interior.

#32 ·
Not impressed at all if this is what's supposed to replace the STS and DTS. Why are we building a smaller car to replace a larger one??? Clearly Cadillac/GM did not learn from the failure of 1985. Luxury customers want big, powerful, stylish, good handling cars. This is also a big step backwards for Cadillac, I thought they were trying to sell real drivers cars, not FWD snooze mobiles.

#34 ·
One thing I don't understand though:
Why publish the car when it is still 2 years away from production? You give too much away to the competition who typically present max only one year away from production.
Or, why can't they get the car ready for 2011? Why keep your customers wait so long? The DTS is so outdated, people are getting frustrated for not having a Cadillac replacement for it yet.

#35 ·
Most of the criticism and conjecture is arbitrary until the production model is released, but I'm saying, it's looking good so far. I'm pretty sure that it's going to have all the gadgets required but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm hoping for a late '11 release as a 2012 model; that being said, so I'll be able to pick one up, CPO, in '13 or '14 (not as well healed as a lot of forum members; retired, fixed income and have that Cadillac appetite with a Chevrolet budget). Ha

#41 ·
I can not believe there won't be a V8 option.
Every european and asian competitor will have one with excellent co2 emmisions.
Why is GM not capable of building a decent V8.
The new "flagship" of Cadillac will have a V6 engine, thats just wrong.
I will never spend my money on a V6 Cadillac.
I dont care about the HP, but about the smooth ride a V8 will always have over a V6.
Seeing this "future" of Cadillac will mean my STS V8 will be the last Cadillac I own.
The XTS is a medium sized car with a medium sized engine compared to the Germans.
This just isnt enough to convince buyers in europe and the usa to switch from european cars to Cadillac.
Very sad, because i always loved driving a Cadillac.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.