Cadillac XTS Press Release - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Cadillac XTS Press Release in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; LaCrosse base prices are now $27-33k. "They" say the XTS will be in the $45-55k range, so the Cadillac will ...
    ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Re: Cadillac XTS Press Release

LaCrosse base prices are now $27-33k. "They" say the XTS will be in the $45-55k range, so the Cadillac will have to have lots of extra toys and horsepower to justify the price difference.

There's a "GAP" button on the steering wheel, presumably for adaptive cruise control. Rear temp controls are on the armrests, but it's very odd there's no center armrest, much less the fancy consoles show cars often have. Storage pockets and grab handles are also missing in the interior.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Not impressed at all if this is what's supposed to replace the STS and DTS. Why are we building a smaller car to replace a larger one??? Clearly Cadillac/GM did not learn from the failure of 1985. Luxury customers want big, powerful, stylish, good handling cars. This is also a big step backwards for Cadillac, I thought they were trying to sell real drivers cars, not FWD snooze mobiles.

miked is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 SRX AWD Turbo, 08 STS V8 RWD

It's larger than the STS.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

One thing I don't understand though:
    Why publish the car when it is still 2 years away from production? You give too much away to the competition who typically present max only one year away from production.
    Or, why can't they get the car ready for 2011? Why keep your customers wait so long? The DTS is so outdated, people are getting frustrated for not having a Cadillac replacement for it yet.

C&C
    C&C is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Most of the criticism and conjecture is arbitrary until the production model is released, but I'm saying, it's looking good so far. I'm pretty sure that it's going to have all the gadgets required but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm hoping for a late '11 release as a 2012 model; that being said, so I'll be able to pick one up, CPO, in '13 or '14 (not as well healed as a lot of forum members; retired, fixed income and have that Cadillac appetite with a Chevrolet budget). Ha

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    Most of the criticism and conjecture is arbitrary until the production model is released, but I'm saying, it's looking good so far. I'm pretty sure that it's going to have all the gadgets required but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm hoping for a late '11 release as a 2012 model; that being said, so I'll be able to pick one up, CPO, in '13 or '14 (not as well healed as a lot of forum members; retired, fixed income and have that Cadillac appetite with a Chevrolet budget). Ha
    That's why I buy Chevrolet based Cadillacs baby!!!! My 1991 Brougham has all the Cadillac style and the cheap to fix Chevrolet mechanicals. The later Fleetwoods, Escalades, and CTS-V are the same way, no stupid FWD or Northstar V8.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    Let's not forget people- Cadillac built their reputation for awesome cars on gigantic barges that never came close to handling like a Mercedes, but rather on ostentatious excess of wood, chrome and a luxurious ride. Does anyone think that a Brougham D'elegance held a candle to a comparable BMW of the time in terms of handling? Of course not, but the world loved them for luxury and ride. So the XTS is front wheel drive- so what? No one cares what a 7 series Bimmer handles like on a track except Jeremy Clarkson and a few magazine editors.

The measure of luxury is not which wheels are driving the car or how big the motor is- it's in the interior details, the toys, the quietness and the ride. This idea that a large luxury car can't be taken seriously unless it's a 600hp rear wheel drive track demon is ridiculous.
    Lexus built their reputation on being more comfortable and luxurious than sporty as well. 99% of the drivers on the road are NOT "enthusiasts" who want a car that handles well and/or performs with the best of the best. So this part I agree with. Cadillac will do fine with a car that doesn't handle like a BMW. And FWD is fine as well. Most people just don't care which wheels power the car. The things I DO think people care about when buying a Cadillac is 1. POWER. Cadillacs have ALWAYS been about power. With around 350 horsepower, I think the XTS will have it. 2. Luxurious accommodations. It appears the XTS will be very luxurious with all the amenities one would expect in a luxury car. I THINK it's going to be roomy - but we'll have to see.. By MY standards, it's small - but these days, small is the new big.

On another note, I can and do appreciate the way a 750Li handles on the street. For such a large car, it's very stable on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I think the Holden Statesman and (Chinese) Park Avenue would have been a much better starting off point than the Lacrosse.
    I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Simon View Post
    I am going to be honest, I am disappointed. I was really, really, looking forward to a S class competitor. Although the XTS appears to be well done, I am afraid it is just not going to stack up. I think I am go to have to wait until the production version arrives.
    Cadillac cannot afford to build a S-Class competitor right now. At this point in time, Cadillac needs a Lexus ES350 competitor (XTS) and a BMW 3-Series competitor (ATS) that sells like crazy. They need to become profitable again. Once this happens, they can give us the top-tier luxury sports sedan that we want.

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    I'm hoping for a late '11 release as a 2012 model
    They're not starting the build process until early 2012... I wouldn't expect a DTS replacement (I won't even add STS in there - because this is not an STS replacement by any means) until late 2012...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Vinsanity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    On another note, I can and do appreciate the way a 750Li handles on the street. For such a large car, it's very stable on the road.
    There are thousands more who share that opinion. Seriously, BMW wouldn't put so much effort into steering and suspension tuning if it didn't matter to its buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    Let's not forget people- Cadillac built their reputation for awesome cars on gigantic barges that never came close to handling like a Mercedes, but rather on ostentatious excess of wood, chrome and a luxurious ride. Does anyone think that a Brougham D'elegance held a candle to a comparable BMW of the time in terms of handling? Of course not, but the world loved them for luxury and ride. So the XTS is front wheel drive- so what? No one cares what a 7 series Bimmer handles like on a track except Jeremy Clarkson and a few magazine editors. 95% of 7 series BMWs are driven leisurely in a straight line by an executive on the way to a meeting and maybe occasionally gunned away from a stoplight or on ramp, while swaddling the driver with tons of creature comforts, toys and quietness. The XTS will fill that exact same duty for Cadillac, and from what I've seen it will do so with aplomb.

The measure of luxury is not which wheels are driving the car or how big the motor is- it's in the interior details, the toys, the quietness and the ride. This idea that a large luxury car can't be taken seriously unless it's a 600hp rear wheel drive track demon is ridiculous.
    On the contrary, I believe that people DO want a large car that drives well. There is a reason that BMW still makes the 7 series while the Fleetwood Brougham is but a distant memory to most. Cadillac does have a successful vehicle for those who want ostentatious excess instead of sharp handling. It's called the Escalade. But in the big sedan segment, it's all about the S-class, 7-series, and Lexus LS. Those are the targets that Cadillac needs to hit.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    There are thousands more who share that opinion. Seriously, BMW wouldn't put so much effort into steering and suspension tuning if it didn't matter to its buyers.

On the contrary, I believe that people DO want a large car that drives well. There is a reason that BMW still makes the 7 series while the Fleetwood Brougham is but a distant memory to most. Cadillac does have a successful vehicle for those who want ostentatious excess instead of sharp handling. It's called the Escalade. But in the big sedan segment, it's all about the S-class, 7-series, and Lexus LS. Those are the targets that Cadillac needs to hit.
    I agree but I do feel there's still a place for floaty vehicles. There will always be older people who want a full-size luxury sedan that focuses more on the soft suspension than a stiffer one. All the customers of the Lexus LS have been those people up until the LS460 - which while it still rides very soft - it's too stiff for some of their customers. Cadillac can do very well with a car like the XTS that rides soft - as long as their flagship full-size luxury sedan does what everybody else's does - which is handle well. It doesn't need to be an M5.. Anywhere between the softer riding LS460 / S550 and the 750i and A8... Somewhere in between would be perfect...

Best case scenario, they'll have an adjustable suspension that offers something for everyone...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K10

I love it, every little bit...... I want it.....

My favorite part, the "tails" are back.....

meniisoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I can not believe there won't be a V8 option.
    Every european and asian competitor will have one with excellent co2 emmisions.
    Why is GM not capable of building a decent V8.
    The new "flagship" of Cadillac will have a V6 engine, thats just wrong.
    I will never spend my money on a V6 Cadillac.
    I dont care about the HP, but about the smooth ride a V8 will always have over a V6.
    Seeing this "future" of Cadillac will mean my STS V8 will be the last Cadillac I own.
    The XTS is a medium sized car with a medium sized engine compared to the Germans.
    This just isnt enough to convince buyers in europe and the usa to switch from european cars to Cadillac.
    Very sad, because i always loved driving a Cadillac.

C&C
    C&C is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Well, the XTS is still pre-production so final dimensions are not totally locked (yet, but probably pretty close). A V-8 might be an option later on (and oh yeah, GM makes a bunch of great V-8's; the 'LS' series comes immediately to mind).

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hate to rain on everybody's parade, but "nice Malibu".

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    Hate to rain on everybody's parade, but "nice Malibu".
    The Audi A3 looks more like the VW Golf then the XTS looks like the Malibu. They will share very little electronics, amenities, and powertrain. The dimensions wont even be close. You fail.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by meniisoc View Post
    I can not believe there won't be a V8 option.
    Every european and asian competitor will have one with excellent co2 emmisions.
    Why is GM not capable of building a decent V8.
    The new "flagship" of Cadillac will have a V6 engine, thats just wrong.
    I will never spend my money on a V6 Cadillac.
    I dont care about the HP, but about the smooth ride a V8 will always have over a V6.
    Seeing this "future" of Cadillac will mean my STS V8 will be the last Cadillac I own.
    The XTS is a medium sized car with a medium sized engine compared to the Germans.
    This just isnt enough to convince buyers in europe and the usa to switch from european cars to Cadillac.
    Very sad, because i always loved driving a Cadillac.
    Hail, King of Vague Assumptions.

Medium sized car...really?
    GM not capable of building a decent V8? Thats one of the few areas that the rest of the automotive world collectively believes GM is good at!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.