Cadillac XTS Press Release - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Cadillac XTS Press Release in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Compared to the "blue" version of the Mercedes S-Class, the Cadillac XTS is pretty powerful. That's the similarity I remember ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: Cadillac XTS Press Release

Compared to the "blue" version of the Mercedes S-Class, the Cadillac XTS is pretty powerful. That's the similarity I remember reading about.. Otherwise, this isn't supposed to be Cadillac's flagship. Everybody stating so is WRONG. The DTS wasn't a flagship - and this is more of a replacement for the DTS than the STS. This model is supposed to slot just above the CTS.

You're right. The Buick LaCrosse competes with the Lexus ES350. So does the XTS (it certainly doesn't compete with the Lexus LS460 or Lexus GS). The LaCrosse and XTS will compete with one another. Those who want more technology and power will buy the XTS - but they're generally very similar otherwise. This is the way GM does things. Let's see how it works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Oh, I thought I read mention of the S-class hybrid in the press release; it was mentioned instead in the Autoblog article. My bad.

But isn't this supposed to be Cadillac's flagship sedan? And it's competing with one of Lexus's entry models? Isn't the new Buick supposed to compete with the Lexus ES? This is confusing.

Also, I assume that there will be HVAC and stereo controls on the rear armrest for back seat passengers? Or a rear armrest at all? Doesn't look like there's one in that back seat pic, and IIRC, the Epsilon cars don't have one for some reason.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

vistavette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by rjm View Post
    Where to start. As someone who's owned a few DeVilles/DTS ('91, '94, '98, '03, '06, '08), I had high hopes for this vehicle especially in light of the '06 refresh. Cadillac has surveyed me several times asking what I wanted in the replacement for the DTS and this aint it. All I see here is an EPIC FAILURE. Aside from the hybrid powertrain, there's nothing new here. Its just another refresh, only on a different FWD platform.

Now that I've looked at actual pictures from the show its more decontented than from '05 to '06.
    From the live pictures vs my '08 DTS Platinum the XTS is missing:
    -Rainsensor
    -Auto high beams
    -Rear seat climate control
    -Rear seat armrest
    -Massaging front seats
    -Alcantara headliner
    -Rear window sunshade (I'm still pissed about losing them from the rear doors with the '06 refresh, now its gone from the rear window too)
    -Rear seat vanity mirrors
    -Heated rear seats
    -Rear seat lumbar control
    -Rear seat adjustable headrests
    -Front and rear park assist
    -Lane Departure Warning
    -Side Blind Zone Alert
    -should I go on?????

The hybrid powertrain notwithstanding, this appears to be an update of the CTS rather than a replacement for the DTS.

To me this thing has failure written all over it. I said my '06 DTS was my last Cadillac, but the Platinum was enough of an upgrade that I relented and picked up an '08 DTS. But Cadillac just lost me. When the lease is up on my '08 this fall, for the first time since I began driving, it won't be in a Cadillac.
    I'm sure the production car will have all or most of the features you have now. I spent a number of years in the car business and auto show cars are more about cutting edge tech and design studies. The factory rarely worries about the types of production car amenities you listed here for a show car.

miked is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 SRX AWD Turbo, 08 STS V8 RWD

With respect to all the technological goodies -- adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, heads-up display, etc. -- note that the LaCrosse has nearly all of these, so I would expect the XTS to have them, too. Actually the LaCrosse has all of the important ones I want, save adaptive cruise control and (I think) push-button start.

I have a V8 STS 1SG, and can really see myself going to the XTS if it has the goods.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

We're 1.5-2 years away from the showroom when it will probably launch as the new DTS. And indeed the package of the LaCrosse will secure the package of the DTS plus some more.

I hope there will be a new V8 by then and they will use the 2.9L turbo diesel for it as well.

Vinsanity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    You're right. The Buick LaCrosse competes with the Lexus ES350. So does the XTS (it certainly doesn't compete with the Lexus LS460 or Lexus GS). The LaCrosse and XTS will compete with one another. Those who want more technology and power will buy the XTS - but they're generally very similar otherwise. This is the way GM does things. Let's see how it works for them.
    Making cars that competed with each other didn't work too great for old GM.

What I'm afraid of most is that while Cadillac tries to make a some money off this safe play "bunt", they will start fading into irrelevancy, where Lincoln is right now. The LS was a great car when it first came out -- like the CTS was in 2003 and 2008. But their mistake of abandoning that segment has led to their current situation where all they have to offer are fancy Fords. The XTS looks to be a step in that same wrong direction. Why bother to make a car that competes with Lincoln, when Lincoln themselves has seen limited success with a similar car? I maintain that Cadillac should've come out with a new STS -- a 4-door coupe on a LWB Sigma II chassis. A car that aims right at the heart of the European luxury segment representing bold Cadillac style. By failing to do that, Cadillac is telling Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus buyers that they don't really care to have their business. They'll just make whatever they want and tell people that's what they should buy instead.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The CTS is the car that aimed right at the heart of Germany- the 5 series was absolutely the benchmark for the CTS, and you can tell by the nearly identical dimensions. From day one, the CTS has been marketed as "a 5 series for the price of a 3 series".

As time has passed the price of the CTS has crept up, and more content has been added (40gb HDD, adaptive headlights, cooled seats, DI motor, etc..)- expect that to continue in the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see things like front parking sensors added to the CTS in the next few years, because the CTS can no longer be considered an "entry lux" car. Cadillac will be coming out with the ATS sedan to fill the place the CTS started life in, while the XTS will appeal to people looking less for performance and more for comfort and amenities.

Let's not forget people- Cadillac built their reputation for awesome cars on gigantic barges that never came close to handling like a Mercedes, but rather on ostentatious excess of wood, chrome and a luxurious ride. Does anyone think that a Brougham D'elegance held a candle to a comparable BMW of the time in terms of handling? Of course not, but the world loved them for luxury and ride. So the XTS is front wheel drive- so what? No one cares what a 7 series Bimmer handles like on a track except Jeremy Clarkson and a few magazine editors. 95% of 7 series BMWs are driven leisurely in a straight line by an executive on the way to a meeting and maybe occasionally gunned away from a stoplight or on ramp, while swaddling the driver with tons of creature comforts, toys and quietness. The XTS will fill that exact same duty for Cadillac, and from what I've seen it will do so with aplomb.

The measure of luxury is not which wheels are driving the car or how big the motor is- it's in the interior details, the toys, the quietness and the ride. This idea that a large luxury car can't be taken seriously unless it's a 600hp rear wheel drive track demon is ridiculous.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    The CTS is the car that aimed right at the heart of Germany- the 5 series was absolutely the benchmark for the CTS, and you can tell by the nearly identical dimensions. From day one, the CTS has been marketed as "a 5 series for the price of a 3 series".

As time has passed the price of the CTS has crept up, and more content has been added (40gb HDD, adaptive headlights, cooled seats, DI motor, etc..)- expect that to continue in the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see things like front parking sensors added to the CTS in the next few years, because the CTS can no longer be considered an "entry lux" car. Cadillac will be coming out with the ATS sedan to fill the place the CTS started life in, while the XTS will appeal to people looking less for performance and more for comfort and amenities.

Let's not forget people- Cadillac built their reputation for awesome cars on gigantic barges that never came close to handling like a Mercedes, but rather on ostentatious excess of wood, chrome and a luxurious ride. Does anyone think that a Brougham D'elegance held a candle to a comparable BMW of the time in terms of handling? Of course not, but the world loved them for luxury and ride. So the XTS is front wheel drive- so what? No one cares what a 7 series Bimmer handles like on a track except Jeremy Clarkson and a few magazine editors. 95% of 7 series BMWs are driven leisurely in a straight line by an executive on the way to a meeting and maybe occasionally gunned away from a stoplight or on ramp, while swaddling the driver with tons of creature comforts, toys and quietness. The XTS will fill that exact same duty for Cadillac, and from what I've seen it will do so with aplomb.

The measure of luxury is not which wheels are driving the car or how big the motor is- it's in the interior details, the toys, the quietness and the ride. This idea that a large luxury car can't be taken seriously unless it's a 600hp rear wheel drive track demon is ridiculous.

Amen!

Yuben Pimpslapt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville, 1991 Fleetwood (RIP)

I want one!

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Autoextremist.com, which has been bluntly critical of GM (but not to the ridiculous level of The Truth About Cars — there's a wildly misleading label), absolutely raves about the XTS in this week's issue:
    But even bigger headlines went to the beautiful Cadillac XTS Platinum concept, which will replace two entries in the Cadillac lineup - the long-in-the-tooth STS and DTS sedans – when it makes its showroom debut two-and-one-half years from now. The XTS is easily more elegant than the new A8 from Audi and the 7 Series from BMW in the flesh, and its interior is equal to if not better than any mainstream premium luxury car in the world today. It’s that good. GM is talking about a hybrid V6 all-wheel-drive powertrain for the XTS, but it doesn’t matter, because for the first time in a long time a beautiful full-size Cadillac is on the horizon. And that’s a very good thing.

The Autoextremist Best in Show: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but Ed Welburn’s troops at GM Design have been on a roll for several years now, and they’ve done it yet again with the sensational Cadillac XTS Platinum Concept. Wonderfully proportioned and craftily rendered, the surface detailing alone on this machine is nothing short of a clinic on how it’s done. Combine that with an interior design and execution that’s simply second to none, and the XTS Platinum has everything a car worthy of “best in show” accolades must have from where we sit. The Cadillac XTS Platinum not only has a majestic presence, it’s clearly the direct spiritual successor to the magnificent Sixteen concept from several years ago. The XTS Platinum will allow Cadillac to take its rightful place again as the ultimate expression of American luxury, and the new Standard of the World.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 Escalade Premium, '15 Escalade Premium ordered

Tony,

I learned to drive on an '84 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, and that's all I'm asking for now--a thoroughly modern interpretation of that car.

BUT, this XTS isn't it. Any replacement for the DTS should be FULLSIZE and the Lacrossse is a MIDSIZE car. Everyone accuses the Lexus ES350 of being a Camry in a tuxedo so now everyone will call the XTS a Lacrosse in a Tuxedo.

My biggest problem is that this car is still 2 years away. This car should be in showrooms by the end of this year, or at the VERY LATEST right after next years NAIAS. There's alot of us loyal owners who lease a new one every 2-3 years, and with production of the DTS ending shortly, and with production of the replacement 2 years away where does that leave us? I can't speak for everyone out there, but for me it means for the first time since I began driving, I won't be driving a Cadillac.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by rjm View Post
    Tony,

I learned to drive on an '84 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, and that's all I'm asking for now--a thoroughly modern interpretation of that car.

BUT, this XTS isn't it. Any replacement for the DTS should be FULLSIZE and the Lacrossse is a MIDSIZE car. Everyone accuses the Lexus ES350 of being a Camry in a tuxedo so now everyone will call the XTS a Lacrosse in a Tuxedo.
    Cadillac and GM need to build cars that will sell- to heck with what a few enthusiasts on TV shows or the internet think. The ES is just a Camry in a tuxedo, but it fills a niche and therefore they sell a boatload of them. The ES proves that people are more than willing to pay a premium for a nicer interior and more toys built on to a solid foundation.

Platform sharing is done by every major car company in the world, even the super awesome number one company from the land of the rising sun. Done properly with enough differentiation between the models in appearance, ride and amenities, it's the only way for a large automaker to produce a product at a competitive price.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

cooncat is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS V8

I really like this car. It's too bad it's not coming out until next year. I would buy one of these.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 Escalade Premium, '15 Escalade Premium ordered

Cadillac and GM need to build cars that will sell- to heck with what a few enthusiasts on TV shows or the internet think. The ES is just a Camry in a tuxedo, but it fills a niche and therefore they sell a boatload of them. The ES proves that people are more than willing to pay a premium for a nicer interior and more toys built on to a solid foundation.

Platform sharing is done by every major car company in the world, even the super awesome number one company from the land of the rising sun. Done properly with enough differentiation between the models in appearance, ride and amenities, it's the only way for a large automaker to produce a product at a competitive price.

You're preaching to the choir about Toyota! How many vehicles is it from one platform using the same drivetrain--Camry, Avalon, Sienna, Highlander, ES350, RX350--yet they get a complete pass in the media while GM and Ford are slaughtered for not having a separate platform and drivetrain for every single vehicle. Talk about a double standard!

I don't have a problem with platform sharing. Done properly all products benefit, done poorly and you get, well......

I think the XTS is an extremely handsome car and now that I've had time to really look at it and compare photos of it side by side with 7/S/LS/A8, it makes those cars look absolutely pedestrian. My only complaint is that the photos from certain angles make the nose appear to be a little too blunt. Otherwise its an absolutely stunning design.

BUT, and this is a big but, the LaCrosse is a midsize car and the DTS is a fullsize car. And according to the specifications GM released the XTS wheelbase is 111.7", which is squarely midsize. The CTS wheelbase is 113.4" and this is why I'm a little upset. If this is the replacement for your LARGEST car, how can it be on a wheelbase SHORTER than your midsize car.

I have no doubt that it will have all the toys currently available on the DTS, and maybe some new ones that will surprise and delight. But I get the feeling that its 1985 all over again when GM made the switch to FWD and chopped 2 feet off all the full size cars all the while telling everyone that the new cars are roomier inside. We all know how well that turned out!

Vinsanity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

I don't have a problem with platform sharing, either. As a matter of fact, I think Cadillac should utilize Sigma II even more.

It's just that I think the Holden Statesman and (Chinese) Park Avenue would have been a much better starting off point than the Lacrosse.

Benjamin Simon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)

I am going to be honest, I am disappointed. I was really, really, looking forward to a S class competitor. Although the XTS appears to be well done, I am afraid it is just not going to stack up. I think I am go to have to wait until the production version arrives.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.