Cadillac Owners Forum banner
25K views 77 replies 31 participants last post by  hueterm 
#1 ·
- A new study re-imagining the luxury sedan, showcasing the progression of the Cadillac Art and Science philosophy
- Designed from the inside out, featuring a new concept for the interface between the driver and the auto electronics
- Plug-in hybrid system is matched with a 3.6L V-6 and all-wheel drive for dynamic and efficient performance

DETROIT – Cadillac unveiled the XTS Platinum Concept at the 2010 North American International Auto Show, suggesting a new paradigm for the luxury sedan of the future. The concept showcases Cadillac’s emerging top-of-the-line Platinum series of models, emphasizing new expressions of luxury and technological features, including a plug-in hybrid propulsion system.

The XTS Platinum Concept was designed from the inside out, re-imagining the luxury sedan as a personal headquarters, built for efficiency, luxury and connectivity. The concept introduces a new approach to in-car electronics that improves the form and function of the car’s entertainment, navigation and information systems.

“The XTS Platinum concept is the next expression of Cadillac’s Art and Science execution philosophy, reflecting our drive to deliver the latest innovations in the most artful manner,” said Bryan Nesbitt, Cadillac general manager. “We envisioned this concept as an automotive personal headquarters, using advanced technology to enable new levels of connectivity and luxury.”

The XTS Platinum Concept uses Cadillac’s 3.6L V-6 Direct Injection gas engine, paired with a plug-in hybrid system. The plug-in technology enables the battery to fully charge from a standard electrical outlet, enabling pure electric propulsion in many driving situations, especially urban commutes in which fuel efficiency may double that of a conventional hybrid.

Traditional luxury sedans were defined by elegant interiors and Cadillac’s XTS Platinum Concept propels that formula into the future. It delivers new approaches to luxury within a design that combines fine craftsmanship with customer-driven innovation. Like the current Platinum Edition products, such as Escalade Platinum and the STS and DTS Platinum sedans, the interior is based on hand cut-and-sewn materials. The XTS Platinum Concept injects more contemporary forms and themes into the interior design, including the use of Organic Light-Emitting Diode (O-LED) displays in place of traditional gauges and screens.

The concept previews a new integration philosophy guiding the development of future models with respect to in-car electronics. The intent is to progress Cadillac’s intuitive in-car electronics systems, typified by the deployable touch-screen navigation system that has been highly acclaimed in the brand’s CTS and SRX product lines. The XTS Platinum Concept previews this strategy via the minimization of traditional buttons and switches. Designers blended the display screens into a flowing instrument panel. They call it a “dead front” design, because the panels appear black until the car is turned on and the screens illuminate. The instrument panel itself reflects the XTS Platinum’s other focus – uncompromising luxury and attention to detail on the interior.

“The Platinum distinction in Cadillac means the fullest extent of luxury and technology and we’ve tried to reach even further with this concept,” said Clay Dean, Cadillac design director. “Just as the technology pushes the boundaries of what a Cadillac can offer, so do the details that make the XTS Platinum Concept an uncompromising experience.”

The interior takes inspiration from nature, specifically the intricate layers of petals that combine to form an orchid. Cadillac designers translated that into a layered and detailed interior. Light cream is the cabin’s primary color and is contrasted with darker elements, such as the steering wheel and an overhead console motif that runs the length of interior’s roof. The console is made of a richly finished wood and houses lighting features.

Premium leather seats include a new style of automotive suede, with a laser-etched pattern. The patterned material adorns the center sections of the seats and accents the door trim. Thoughtfully detailed stitching is used throughout the interior, including the seats, instrument panel and door panels. Passengers in the spacious rear compartment of the XTS Platinum Concept also have access to the car’s connectivity feature, along with a range of infotainment choices.

“We never lost sight of the fact that a large luxury sedan needs to be spacious and accommodating,” said Dean. “Passengers will find generous headroom, legroom and knee space, along with the technology elements that make the drive more productive.”

A new proportion

The XTS Platinum Concept has a distinctive proportion that transcends the traditional aesthetic of luxury sedans and carries the brand’s Art and Science design in a more progressive manner. The unique proportion supports the “inside out” design priority, while creating a sleek profile that complements the car’s advanced technology elements and necessary aerodynamics.

“The XTS Platinum Concept design artfully conveys its focus on functionality through technology,” said Dean. “It is the antithesis of the conventional three-box sedan, suggesting the active evolution of Cadillac’s design language.”

A sweeping profile culminates in a short, high deck lid that meets the XTS Platinum Concept’s aerodynamic needs – including a rear spoiler mounted on the deck lid, incorporating the center high-mounted stop lamp. A high, sloping beltline gestures the vehicle forward, suggesting motion, while the fenders flare outward wrapping tightly around 20-inch wheels and tires. The wheel-to-body proportion was carefully tailored to visually communicate the car’s all-wheel-drive chassis.

Like the interior, the exterior elements are precisely tailored and elegantly detailed. Brushed billet aluminum trim is used selectively and the 20-inch, 11-spoke wheels feature a brushed aluminum face accented with bright inserts within the spokes. The wheels are wrapped with special Bridgestone tires that were created specifically for the XTS Platinum Concept.

Signature elements essential to Cadillac’s Art and Science design language include vertical headlamp and taillamps, with integrated light pipes and richly detailed lighting components. The headlamps feature light-emitting diode technology for bright illumination that requires less energy, as well as Cadillac’s Adaptive Forward Lighting technology, which turns the headlamps with the direction of the front wheels for greater visibility in turns.

Purposeful and efficient performance

The XTS Platinum concept’s plug-in hybrid electric propulsion system (PHEV) builds on the experience Cadillac has gained with the Escalade Hybrid and Escalade Platinum Hybrid flagship models. The plug-in capability boosts the car’s electric-only driving capability, offering additional battery energy capacity and enabling it to recharge from a standard external electrical outlet. The key benefit of external plug-in recharging is that in many situations – such as overnight parking – the battery can fully recharge in roughly five hours while the car is not in use. The plug-in system operates at maximum efficiency when operating on power the battery has drawn from the electric grid. In some conditions, such as urban commutes, drivers can experience efficiency that doubles that of conventional hybrids.

At higher speeds or when conditions demand it, such as brisk acceleration, a combination of engine power and electric power or engine power only, propels the vehicle. The combination of the Direct Injection V-6 engine and the PHEV system featuring fully electric variable drive provides a spirited driving experience. The system provides an estimated 350 horsepower (260 kW) and 295 lb.-ft. of torque (400 Nm).

Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) enables the XTS Platinum Concept to deliver superior road-holding performance while maintaining luxury car composure in “regular” driving conditions. It uses shocks controlled by advanced magneto-rheological technology, rather than mechanical valves, to greatly accelerate response time and precision.

MRC uses electronic sensors at all four wheels to literally “read the road” every millisecond, making constant adjustments to damping to create virtually instantaneous and extremely precise control of body motions.

An advanced, specially calibrated all-wheel-drive system ensures optimal traction in wet and slippery conditions, and helps deliver maximum traction while cornering. Four-wheel disc brakes, with four-channel ABS, StabiliTrak stability control and full-function traction control complete the drivetrain details.

“The XTS Platinum Concept was designed to deliver an engaging driving experience without compromising the functional features, space and comfort customers seek in a luxury car,” said Nesbitt. “It is a new vision of luxury that uses advanced technology to deliver functionality efficiently and rewardingly.”

About Cadillac

Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. In recent years, Cadillac has engineered a historic renaissance led by artful engineering and global expansion. More information on Cadillac can be found at media.cadillac.com.

# # #

CADILLAC XTS PLATINUM CONCEPT SPECIFICATIONS

Vehicle type: luxury sedan concept

Wheelbase (in / mm): 111.7 / 2837

Length (in / mm): 203.5 / 5170

Width (in / mm): 74.8 / 1900

Height (in / mm): 59.1 / 1500

Track (in / mm): 62.6 / 1589 (front); 62.8 / 1594 (rear)

Powertrain: plug-in hybrid system with 3.6L Direct Injection gas engine (with variable valve timing); lithium ion battery

Suspension: four-wheel independent with Magnetic Ride Control.

Brakes: four-wheel disc with electric park brake system

Wheels: 20-in front / 20-in rear

Estimated power: 350 hp (260 kW) / 295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm)

See less See more
#46 ·
Reading through the web, there are a lot of people disappointed with the Cadillac XTS concept. I don't know where the rumor started but people are also mentioning that Cadillac realizes the web-reception was not what they were expecting/hoping for. The final product will likely be a bit narrow compared to what it is now - making it smaller, unfortunately. Let's see where the automotive industry is in 2012 when we finally see the car...

#47 ·
You can't please everyone.
But noone can say it is not an improvement over the current DTS. So I don't understand why people always have something to nag about a car they are not interested in anyway.

#53 ·
I read not too long ago in a science magazine that all the CO put out by all cars, planes, trains, and boats in the entire world contributes only a fraction to the build up of green house gases compared to the clear cutting of forests around the world.

Remember trees use CO. The same gas that we exhale and the EPA has deemed hazardous. :bigroll:

But for the, mandated by the government, improvement in MPGs the car makers only know how to do this with hybrids.

Also, a new thing is that, they are getting power from using 2 types of engines in the same car. Lexus is already doing this and the XTS has some impressive HP (supposedly).

Not defending hybrids though, I don't like them. The batteries are a real problem.

#51 ·
Nobody seems to remember that the government has mandated the 35 mpg fleet average, whether the people want it or not. Plus, last year when gas was $4.00/gallon, you couldn't give large cars and SUV's away, and hybrids were sold out, even with price premiums. GM was chastised for not having a fleet of fuel efficient cars.

Whether we like it or not, GM will be unable to sell large cars with V8s in any quantity, or risk government sanctions. This is not Obama Motors doing, but is due to the standards that were passed during the Bush administration. Europe has a much more fuel efficient fleet than we do, because gas costs so much, and diesel costs a lot less. More than 50% of the cars in Europe are diesels, and most of the gas engines are pretty small, too. Six cylinder and diesel 7-Series are the norm, and four cylinder diesel 3-Series are the most popular, too. If gas cost $8.00/gallon, we would be doing the same. Instead of market forces, we have a law. This reality is why GM stopped development of the NorthStar replacement, as the "handwriting" was now in the books.

Americans still seem to have an aversion to diesel, and there is no price break for diesel fuel here anyway. We seem to have accepted hybrids, though. I personally think the XTS is a brilliant compromise that would yield fleet compatible fuel economy and CO2 emissions with acceptable performance and space for a full size luxury car. BMW, MB, and Porsche all have hybrids planned for the luxury market, as do others, but none of them are plug-ins or will be as fuel efficient as the XTS will likely be. If gas shoots up in price again, GM will be sitting very pretty in the luxury market. Gas guzzlers with aspirations for large sales will disappear anyway, as they just won't be able to be sold anymore.

Looking at the concept, I do see some resemblance to the Avalon, which is a very roomy sub-luxury car. Looking at the dimensions, I feel that the listed wheelbase must be wrong. The car is listed as being 12 inches longer than the CTS, and the front overhang is not that long, plus the rear overhang is not that long either. The greenhouse does look pretty long, though. My guess would be a wheel base of 118-120 inches. FWD with a transverse engine does offer more interior room and increased efficiency, while the electric motor acting on the rear wheels allows some RWD and AWD characteristics without the weight and inefficiency of a driveshaft and another differential. Plus, I would guess that all-electric drive would be easier to integrate if acting on a separate axle (just a guess).

My only wish for this design would be to place the engine behind the centerline of the front wheels, like Audi has recently done. This would require a longer hood by about six inches, as well as a longer wheelbase. While less space-efficient, it would give a more favorable weight distribution for better handling, and would look much more elegant as well. It wouldn't actually weigh that much more, either, and might even be more aerodynamic, as well as much more upscale.

I believe there is still a market for these kinds of cars, that are uniquely American. Unfortunately, these cars have been sorely neglected, the DTS perhaps less so than the Town Car, but it's still pretty ancient. The XTS is not an STS replacement, but the STS sales are so low that replacing it shouldn't be an immediate priority. The XTS could very nicely replace both the DTS and the ancient Town Car, and may be able to expand it's sales beyond those cars if the mileage is good enough and gas goes up again. Well done, Cadillac.

#52 ·
...Looking at the concept, I do see some resemblance to the Avalon, which is a very roomy sub-luxury car. Looking at the dimensions, I feel that the listed wheelbase must be wrong. The car is listed as being 12 inches longer than the CTS, and the front overhang is not that long, plus the rear overhang is not that long either. The greenhouse does look pretty long, though. My guess would be a wheel base of 118-120 inches. FWD with a transverse engine does offer more interior room and increased efficiency, while the electric motor acting on the rear wheels allows some RWD and AWD characteristics without the weight and inefficiency of a driveshaft and another differential. Plus, I would guess that all-electric drive would be easier to integrate if acting on a separate axle (just a guess).

My only wish for this design would be to place the engine behind the centerline of the front wheels, like Audi has recently done. This would require a longer hood by about six inches, as well as a longer wheelbase. While less space-efficient, it would give a more favorable weight distribution for better handling, and would look much more elegant as well. It wouldn't actually weigh that much more, either, and might even be more aerodynamic, as well as much more upscale.

I believe there is still a market for these kinds of cars, that are uniquely American. Unfortunately, these cars have been sorely neglected, the DTS perhaps less so than the Town Car, but it's still pretty ancient. The XTS is not an STS replacement, but the STS sales are so low that replacing it shouldn't be an immediate priority. The XTS could very nicely replace both the DTS and the ancient Town Car, and may be able to expand it's sales beyond those cars if the mileage is good enough and gas goes up again. Well done, Cadillac.
I hope the engine bay is prepared for a new V8 and V8 diesel as well! (wasn't there some rumour about Cadillac developing a V8 diesel? The project was halted?) Then the XTS is prepared to go global, which would be a huge improvement over the current DTS.

#54 ·
We exhale CO? Oh shit. Don't hold your breath then...

Pretty sure you mean CO2. :D

#56 ·
Speaking of hybrids...apparently the EVO XI is going to be one.

#60 ·
BMW is "offering" their 6 cylinder in the 7-Series as an option. That's different. They still have a V8 and V12 available.

the Lexus LS and Audi A8 are "there" in regards to being considered "top tier" - and while they may not be as good as a Mercedes S-Class, doesn't SOMEBODY have to be #1? There cannot be two "bests". The Mercedes S-Class is the car that the Lexus LS aspires to be. The BMW 750i is the car that the Audi A8 aspires to be. The Lexus and Audi aren't the best - but there right up there in the same class...

I do believe the XTS will be a car that makes Cadillac money - which is what they need right now. In time, they'll give the rest of us what we're looking for... I just hope too many people don't become comfortable with other brands beforehand...

#61 ·
BMW is "offering" their 6 cylinder in the 7-Series as an option. That's different. They still have a V8 and V12 available.

the Lexus LS and Audi A8 are "there" in regards to being considered "top tier" - and while they may not be as good as a Mercedes S-Class, doesn't SOMEBODY have to be #1? There cannot be two "bests". The Mercedes S-Class is the car that the Lexus LS aspires to be. The BMW 750i is the car that the Audi A8 aspires to be. The Lexus and Audi aren't the best - but there right up there in the same class...

I do believe the XTS will be a car that makes Cadillac money - which is what they need right now. In time, they'll give the rest of us what we're looking for... I just hope too many people don't become comfortable with other brands beforehand...
I have no doubt the XTS will sell. Heck, if I would be living in the US, I would be in line for one!

#64 ·
BTW, did Cadillac pick up work on a N*-replacement???
I cannot imagine the 'Corvette engine' in the XTS, nor that bulldog V8 from the Escalade.

#67 ·
Cadillac definetly needs something to bridge the gap between the DI V6 with about 300hp and the 562hp CTS-V. The Northstar V8 in the STS hasn't kept up with BMW or Benz in terms of power output and quite frankly I think the name is tainted by blown headgaskets and unreliable cars. Personally I think the 6.2 V8 out of the Escalade should find its way under the hood of a CTS, with about 400hp.

#68 · (Edited)
Since the 3.rd generation CTS will be built on an extended Alpha platform, we might see an all-FI setup for the ATS (=BTS?) and CTS:
2.0L Turbo upto 280-300 hp (The Opel Astra OPC will get this 2.0L turbo with 300hp) for ATS + CTS
3.0L Turbo upto 350 hp to replace the current 2.8L Turbo for the CTS and ATCoupe
3.6L TTurbo upto 400+ hp for ATS-V and CTCoupe and/or CTS-Sport
6.2L FI upto 570 hp for CTS-V
1.9L Turbo Diesel upto 180 hp for ATS
2.9L V6 TTurbo diesel upto 260 hp for CTS

Extended Alpha ++ LWB for the FLS
2.9L V6 TTurbo Diesel
4.5L V8 TTurbo Diesel
5.0L DI V8 N*-successor + TTurbo
6.2L DI V8

#69 ·
Like Ive said before, the LS3 makes alot more sense then a 3.6L TT. I cant see the 3.6L TT getting much better mileage, and it wont weigh any less. It will also be more expensive to fix, buy parts for out of warranty, and more difficult to work on. 3.6L TT's make alot of sense if you are a company like Audi and BMW, who dont have an existing relatively cheap, hugely capable and durable V8. From what Ive heard, the diesel program is cancelled, which is a shame.

#70 ·
Well ... uh ... for me this thing looks like a cross-breed between an Audi & a rice burner.
And with that funny six-banger certainly no Cadillac, anymore
(may be politically "correct" but I don't give a rusty dime on such mumbo-jumbo ...)

Thank you very much. BMW 550i - here I come

#71 ·
How come the XTS is not displayed in NY?

#73 ·
I just leased a new Hyundai Genesis when what I really wanted was to buy an American car. Why did I select the Genesis? Value. (cheaper than even the lowest price Cadillac) Comfort. (too cushy even for me but still quiet and reasonable handling) Style. (I like the Euro look of the Genesis) Rear Seat ( I just have to have rear seat leg room for my passengers)

I was willing to compromise some on the value proposition to buy an American car but there is only one sedan that satisfies my desire for rear seat space and that is the DTS. I cannot talk myself into that old man sedan. If Cadillac can really take the next step towards luxury and provide the kind of style the XTS is showing with a Euro quality ride and an interior with materials and designs like this, I'm all in. It's been way too long since the World Standard for Luxury has been the World Standard. Please GM. Step up to the plate and get one right for a change and get out of your old mentality. You took some chances with the CTS and they were rewarded. Don't stop now.

#74 ·
How is this a dts replacement if its a v6. Who wants a full size cadilac sedan with anything but a v8. And no I don't want to hear a speech about how powerful this engine is supposed to be. I think the car will be very nice, I wish they kept the classic look that devilles/dts's have always had. This seems to be more progressive in design. I don't like how they did the rear of the trunk, I like a big wreath and the plate down low. I'm sure this car will be very nice but I see it as more of a new model than a replacement. I hope they come out with a v8 flagship soon, if not s-class,7-series, ls ect. owners will laugh when any standard of the world cadillac commercials air on tv. GM is usually smart about these things and always resorts to what people like about their cars. Like how that rumor that the new tahoe/yukon/escalade trucks were going to be midsize got put to rest.

#75 ·
Well, they DID name this car XTS and not DTS - but it's geared at the same people. I know you want a V8 but a V6 with over 400 horsepower and equally impressive torque should make most driving enthusiasts very happy. Unfortunately, the engine isn't ready for the XTS launch...

There IS a "real" flagship in the plans. It's even got it's own platform - Omega. We'll be hearing more about it as time goes on...

#76 ·
I've been one of the biggest moaners about the demise of the N*, and it not having a V8...

But if it's comfortable to sit in (I know it's not wide enough for TBJS' livery purpose) -- 400HP are hard to ignore...

#78 ·
Yeah, that would be a damn shame... (sarcasm)

I would be much less apprehensive about TT'ing the 3.6, as it's already a proven motor. (Timing chain issues not withstanding...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.