Did cadillac miss the mark with the V? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac XLR-V Series Forum Discussion, Did cadillac miss the mark with the V? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Mallettv, I appreciate and understand where you are coming from, and for the record I have spent many miles behind ...
    magmarot430 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Did cadillac miss the mark with the V?

Mallettv,
    I appreciate and understand where you are coming from, and for the record I have spent many miles behind the wheel of the finest german cars from G-wagons, Sl55, to cl500's. My father has had an xlr-v for a month now and I have driven it about 200 HARD miles. I have a clk and honestly the interior on my car is on par with the V IMO. Also, if you noticed from my posts on F-chat I he also has a ferrari 355 spider which I have racked up serious miles on. So, I can drive(knock on wood) and I know what quality is end of story. You may be the son of someone who owns a cadillac dealership, but my father's best friend owns one as well and even he felt the car wasn't perfect.

ChicagoCTS32 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 1SC Diamond White CTS

Should I get the ruler for you boys to measure "something" with here to end the argument?

I agree with Phil and Mallett. Z06 and XLR-V are in different classes. Sure, there are probably some things that could be done better with the XLR-V, as well as the SL. There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

XLR-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

magmarot430,

As you should know from F-Chat, performance is not the only criterion. Aesthetics, heritage, car culture, exclusivity and rarity are all reasons that would drive a person to spend 3 times more for an F430 over a Z06. These are some of the same reasons that drove me to buy the V.

You seem to have some good analytical skills. Try and use them to accentuate the positive, rather than piss off a bunch of old guys just trying to have fun.

mallettv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Magmarot430

I got plenty of toys in my garage, I know whats what, as you do to probably. Im done with this thread. Maybe ill see you on a run or something. Peace. If you want your XLR V to be better, give it to Mallett Cars and you wont know what to do to yourself. Were a Mallett Dealer, if you ever need anything let me know. Peace Man.

magmarot430 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by XLR-V
    magmarot430,

As you should know from F-Chat, performance is not the only criterion. Aesthetics, heritage, car culture, exclusivity and rarity are all reasons that would drive a person to spend 3 times more for an F430 over a Z06. These are some of the same reasons that drove me to buy the V.

You seem to have some good analytical skills. Try and use them to accentuate the positive, rather than piss off a bunch of old guys just trying to have fun.
    I hear both of you guys, and your right! I look forward to being able to participate in this forum more.
    Erik

213XLRV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Gosh, Mag, I didn't say the XLR-v was perfect, merely "just right" for a new alternative in the category.

This car underprices its only equivalent competitor by more than $30K when they are equipped as peers. More power? The SL55 carries 8.68 lbs./pony and the XLR-v carries 8.6 per. Hmmm....not so far apart. The Merc has a clearly noticeable advantage in torque, however it's also almost a quarter ton heavier and in real world driving it's not like we're actually shy on torque on our side. I've driven both cars. Let's just say I am not as impressed with the German entries as you are. And if I didn't want the top to go down, I'd far prefer the Maserati Grand Sport over the boring Merc, even though it has to limp along with 400 hp from its magnificent naturally-aspirated engine. By the way, have you really tromped on the loud pedal of an XLR-v yet? It doesn't have any trouble getting out of its own way. But truth is, these cars do not get driven 10/10ths, and shouldn't be. They are suboptimized by the weight penalty imposed by their features.

Brakes -- I really don't get it. I've had decades of sports and muscle cars that I've modified for Porsche-level braking. I don't see the problem. On my V I get lots of pedal feel and it hauls down from speed pretty quick. Z06 brakes on this car would be nice, but not as the default for all drivers. Too much bite for a driver not having had performance car experience. You can upgrade that aspect anytime you want, from myriad sources.

Why don't the seats have deeper bolsters? This car has a structural center tunnel. It's wide relative to the overall width of the car. Deep bolster seats would work for me -- I'm 6'3" and 180 lbs. -- but one look at the population of folks who can afford $100K+ 2 seaters and you can see why it won't work for a good chunk of the market. The suede inserts accomplish most of the same thing for the practical purposes of the clientele. This isn't a sports car, nor a race-car derivative. It's a sporting car as previously described.

The engine is its own thing. It is Northstar architecture, but you couldn't strip one down and reassemble it a clone of the 4.6L Northstar. The supercharger is integral and the aggregation is holistically engineered.

You got my point on tires. Wider rubber would offer more grip. But you missed part of it -- wider rubber (not just a tread function) hydroplanes at lower speeds and tends to lose grip more abruptly. 255s stick quite well and yet have very progressive slip, which is easier for most people to manage. Snap oversteer is not welcome for this customer. But higher NVH is the bigger immediate problem. 285s, 310s, 335s, etc. would drop many people out of the eval process as soon as they roll the first 1000 yards. You want bigger shoes, have at it. Caddy made the right call for how the car ships, IMO.

Inside, the dash is french seam leather, crafted in Europe, as are the tops of the door panels, the rear deck and the roll hoops. Outside, yeah, the composite body panels aren't quite as perfect as sheet metal, but if the car were sheet metal, it wouldn't have the shape it has and would look dated like the SL does. The SMC exterior is improved from Corvette standards, but the manufacturing nevertheless is still a work in progress. It's a small price to pay for the overall aesthetic of the car and the large weight savings over unibody sheet steel.

All that said, I am absolutely sure the car's interior will be upgraded, GM will figure out how to make the panels progressively more perfect, and if the consumer climate doesn't change significantly due to fuel concerns, more power will find its way under the hood. None of that invalidates what the car is today as Cadillac's first 6 digit effort. Anyway, I bought the car to enjoy it, knowing it will continue to evolve.

Phil

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.