Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Tell us about your XLR-V!

25K views 40 replies 33 participants last post by  AAIIIC 
#1 ·
Pics? Prices? Dealer experience? Overall satisfaction?

Tell us all about your XLR-V. :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Re: Bought an XLR-V? Check in!

Got one too, Fantastic, how ever a few things it needs to go back to get fixed in the first 3000 miles.

1 Buzzing exaust noise from under passanger seat @ 3000 rpm ( heat sheild not seated???) Bad fit somewhere.

2. Windows sometime go up then 1/2 down Wierd?

3. Brake noise when slowing down from 20 to zero ???

4. BLACK is the softest paint in the world. Its getting scratched to death already. Any one else notice this about XLR V black. CRAZY I have had to polish out more the 10 good hair line scratches evertime I look at it I find a new one on the door or fender, I think its from people waliking up to it looking in it. I miss my sliver.... regular xlr JUST FOR THE COLOR.

#4 ·

Thoredan,

I had the same window issue happen for the first time the other day. I was dropping my wife off and put the car in park while still running. She hit the door button and her window went down half way instead. We put the window back up and she hit the door button again with the same result. After I turned the car off it cleared the problem.

After 4 black sports cars in a row I went with Infrared on the V. You can't use anything other than 100% "soft" cotton towels on black unless you want swirl marks. Also, be sure to hose as much dirt and grit off the car as you can before you start to wash it, since this can create swirls as well. I will even hose the car first to get off light dust prior to using a quick detailer spray. Black is nasty to keep clean but no color looks better on a cloudy day or at dusk than black.

#7 ·

Hey guys! I'm new to the board.

I bought a black XLR-V about 3 months ago. I have about 3000 miles on it. Great car but the fit and finish is not the best.

1) I too have had the window problems as above.
2) The GPS has the car in the middle of the Great South Bay half the time(a HUGE body of water along LI)
3) Cup holder cover broke in the first 300 miles.
4) Also, I agree that a stiff wind will scratch the black finish. The trunk already looks like hell.

On the good side:
1) I have had a few very high powered cars (Porsche, supercharged viper, ZR-1, etc) but this is the smoothest high power car I have ever driver. I can't get over how quite the car is. Almost zero whine from the charger.
2) I can't believe how many people actually know what a V is and how much they like the car.
3) Hardtop convertible is GREAT!

I think the bugs are worked out and I'm looking forward to a great summer in the car!!

#8 ·

I've had my infrared XLR-V for almost a month. There have been a couple of small issues but nothing that makes me sorry I bought it. The windows seem to have a life of their own sometimes and the NAV has tried to get me to turn off the road into the woods. It's definitely a head turner, but most don't know it's a V; the same can still be said about the CTS-Vs there are so few on the roads.

The car is fast, fun and very smooth and quiet, except when the teenager in me has to let 'er rip.:burn:

#10 ·

We got a red one 3 days ago. I own a V8 Northstar AWD 2005 STS with all of the features, so all ready dispointed with the issues with the Nav. I understand not letting the driver to adjust over 5mph, but a passenger should be able to address. Treating my wife like a 13 year old is not something I would ever suggest doing. Miss the blutooth which works great on my STS.
The car is extremely fun to drive (I don't mind the longer walks from the parking lots). A package that is fast but relaxing and smooth to drive, What is the 0-60mph time? They only publish under 5 seconds, Is the HP rate at the crank or rear wheels?

#12 ·

I just bought my XLR-V four weeks ago ($11,000 off sticker). The dealer had used it for 3-4 days to show off the Caddy line up at a local golf tournament and logged 156 miles on it. As of today I have 2700 miles on it. The first 1200 were 65 mph or less...driving from one corner of Kansas to the other will put the miles under the rubber.

As everyone here knows the car is a blast to drive. Power to spare with the engine and a silky smooth tranny combine for a performance few cars can match let alone surpass. The shale and black interior is gorgeous. I like the straight-forward controls for the nav, radio, climate control and 2 drink holders! The lines of the car with the stainless steel mesh grill and 19 inch wheels give it more of an aggressive look compared to MB, BMW etc. It also breaks the mold of the rounded over body styles the import cars have developed. In my humble opinion a hot rod has always been from Detroit (or Bowling Green now), not from across the pond. Not only will this beast run but it cradles you in creature comforts that belay the true spirit of the car.

I am thinking about installing a back up camera which ties in with the nav screen. I found an outfit which places the camera in a license plate frame on the back and ties in with GM nav units. I still have to contact the company to make sure it's compatible with the XLR unit. Has anyone done this yet?

#14 ·

I bought a 2006 XLR-V and have serious heat issues associated with the console/cup holder. In traffic and during moderate driving of my auto, I experienced surface temps of 112F in the cup holder and the armrest console (Verified by Cadillac). The outside temperature was only 74F. Cadillac's position is that the temps are 'characteristic' of this type of auto. I say bull. This model is displaying the same issues as the Corvette Z06. Unfortunately, I did not buy a Corvette. Cadillac does not want to admit there are serious heat issues, it would be a huge black eye for there highest priced auto. But if you look at the modifications made to the 2007, you will see that over half of the engine parts have been either replaced or redesigned to address thermal and mechanical stress. Their way of addressing my concerns was to ignore them. We are currently in arbitration with the BBB Auto Line. Surprisingly, Cadillac sent me to them, saying 'if I was unhappy with Cadillac not trying to address the heat issues associate with my XLR-V, I could call the BBB Auto Line' and they gave me the phone number. Nice service!!! I'll post the results of the arbitration, when I get them next week.

#16 ·
New Owner

Hi there you V fanatics. Just traded my CTS-V a.k.a. wheel bouncing pain in the ass for my new XLR-V. I love the car. GM finally got the style right but I always have to ask myself why they cheap out on stupid areas. I manage a GM car dealership which is the only thing that keeps me loyal to their product. They never ask the dealer what would make their product more successful. Instead they insist on bringing out new product and then underpromoting and bastardising resale values. You cant even get a straight answer on what is in their vehicles when you look at their option specs. One says you get a certain option the next says you dont. for instance adaptive cruise control. now why would they take it out of the V? leather interior why cant they put real suede when they cheap out and put "sueded fabric instead.....oooooooohhhhhhh sueded fabric. The day I picked up my car it had a squeally fan belt on the supercharger. I can guarantee you that BMW or Mercedes would never ever let a $100,000 vehicle leave the factory that way. I am all pro american product. It is my bread and butter and GM has taken great strides on product reliability and fit and finish. But get rid of those hard plastics, go the extra mile on quality control, and "ask" the dealers what they feel would enhance their product for durability and sales. No body wants a rattle in their $100,000 vehicles speaker a day after buying one. This is what keeps GM from dominating the high end market. I understand that time is money but take the time before you sell it instead of the time in the shop after the vehicle is sold. I have vented.... thanks for listening. I hope GM doesn't dissappoint me again like they did with my CTS-V or next time regardless of me Managing a GM dealership I will park a BMW or Mercedes in the driveway.

Rob:thehand:

#17 ·

Picked up a new leftover V on January 3rd. The car is really amazing, was worried their wouldn;t be enough grunt coming from an 05 Corvette but I was wrong!

Unfortunately, tHe dealer was about 125 miles away so he rushed the prep and now wants me to bring it back for a detail and a few very minor fixes. He offered to send somebody to pick it up, but I just don't want the miles put on it, a stranger driving it, or minimum wage detailers putting the first swirls in the paint. What do you think? My detailer charges $150 and is the best. You would think the dealer would just cut me a check but haven't heard a response from my email I sent yesterday.

#19 ·

Its a very fun car to drive..

I will have some this spring for test drives .

#22 ·

:alchi: Got my silver projectile delivered to me late last night. I only got to drive it a little and the next day I took it to Cadillac for a key fob programming and a slight noise issue. Got it back and drove it some more and so far, I'm impressed. I do wish there were more nooks and crannies to hide stuff in but the car is awesome. I had trouble even finding a place to put my cap, but who cares when a car is this much fun.

I do have two questions.

:eek: It looks like you could lay a garment bag under the top when it is down without hurting anything?

:eek: Can you get the visor sticker completely off and if so how?

I'm very glad I went with the V model because the acceleration is exhilarating to say the least.

I need to drive it for a week and really get comfortable with the car, but it handles great and I haven't been this excited about a car in a long time.

:worship: XLR-V

Badboy

#23 ·

My first XLR was a 2004. I sold my 2002 SL500 when I purchased it. The first XLR was great but I wanted the extra go so I traded the XLR for a 2007 XLRV in December. Same color infrared (XLRV is a little darker). I prefer this auto over the SL and its only had one return to the dealer. First XLR needed a top adjustment not returns for the XLRV yet. To the members who compare the XLR unfavorably to the SL500; I wonder if they ever owned an SL500? The biggest difference I experienced is the ride in the SL was much rougher and not once in the 6 trips back for repairs was I offered a loaner car (from two different dealers). I love my Caddy.

#26 ·

I'm not a huge fan of the burgundy red, which I've always found somewhat geriatric (to me it is more at home on a Buick than a Cadi sportscar), but after seeing it with a black instead of tan interior, I have to say you've got a gorgeous car there!

I'm holding out for about a year and then I'm going to try to get into a black/black V. I saw a 2006 black/black one at Ehlers last weekend. someone earlier complained about the "soft" paint: I could not believe the orange peel on the '06 in the showroom!!! Do they spend more than 15 minutes painting these $100k cars or what? I'm a big Cadi booster, but that's a pretty lame job they've done, and even more so because (a) it reeks of inattention to detail, and (b) it belies low tolerances in the QC process for these cars. Rather unfortunate for a halo car. Hopefully they've gotten their act together somewhat for 2007?

#27 ·

Thanks!
About the orange peal. The first one I had (an XLR) was same color as this one and the left fender looked like you describe. I never noticed it till a couple of months after purchase. (it was really bad) The 3 stage paint they use is a little tricky to apply so before you purchase your car get it in the sun and go over it very carefully all panels. About the soft paint. I have been told by a couple of people that that clear coat is the problem and that all clear coat is a problem but shows worse on black. A couple of things that help you can get a strainer for the bottom of your wash bucket which keeps sand and small gravel out of your wash mitt (lambs wool) which should be rinsed frequently. Wash in straight lines not circular. Separate mitt for wheels and wheel wells. Rinse thoroughly before wash as a previous writer said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.