XLR-V Overpriced at a $100K MSRP - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac XLR-V Series Forum Discussion, XLR-V Overpriced at a $100K MSRP in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Thats an assumption, there could easily be an aftermarket, but there just needs time for it to develop. The SL55 ...
    Nocturn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: XLR-V Overpriced at a $100K MSRP

Thats an assumption, there could easily be an aftermarket, but there just needs time for it to develop.

The SL55 has a 600 LBS difference between it and the base XLR...600 LBS is more than enough to overcome the >50 HP difference.

yes it will probably make more low end, but it also has the weight holding it down which effects it every moment be it low or high.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

MCaesar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I don't know where you guys are getting your figures from. There is not a 600lb difference between the two cars. It is more like 460.

Second, you are ignoring the power below peak. The blown 5.4 from Mercedes has tremendous boost right off idle. That is what allows it to generate such obscene acceleration. Motor Trend recently ran an E55 Wagon to 12.3 in the 1/4 mile! The SL55 I have seen at 12.6 and 12.7. The SL600 has consistently run 12.5 and the SL65s are into the 11s.

Lastly, how many non-Cadillac people will rate the XLR-V higher on styling and image?

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Post Re: XLR-V Overpriced at a $100K MSRP

I'm not just a Cadillac guy, and I think the XLR-V is better looking than the SL55.

The prestige argument is pointless. MB quality has been crap for a long time now, and I don't care about the cars they made 20, 30, 40, or 50 years ago. Just like I don't care about what GM made in the 30's, 40's... and I don't care about some of the garbage they made in the 70's, 80's and most of the 90's, all I care about is what they're making today. Forunately, it's by far the best they've ever made.

AsAkAs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Vrocks
    Forunately, it's by far the best they've ever made.
    Amen to that!

Nocturn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by MCaesar
    I don't know where you guys are getting your figures from. There is not a 600lb difference between the two cars. It is more like 460.

Second, you are ignoring the power below peak. The blown 5.4 from Mercedes has tremendous boost right off idle. That is what allows it to generate such obscene acceleration. Motor Trend recently ran an E55 Wagon to 12.3 in the 1/4 mile! The SL55 I have seen at 12.6 and 12.7. The SL600 has consistently run 12.5 and the SL65s are into the 11s.

Lastly, how many non-Cadillac people will rate the XLR-V higher on styling and image?
    And CTSV's have run 12.9 before, add 50HP, and stubtract 2-300 LBS and its easy to hit mid 12s. An E55 weighs in at 4087 LBS, a SL55 is 4280 LBS.
    A XLRV is 3804 LBS...476 LBS. With only 53 less HP, and 91 less TQ.

Now the TQ is an issue, but so is the weight. Small import cars are a testiment that even if you dont have as much low end (The Northstar makes peak torque at 3600 RPM...hardly a lack of low end) you can make up for it in less weight as weight effects EVERY SPEED...not just low end/high end. 400 LBS for example is the difference between a Cobalt SS S/C and a Malibu SS. Between a Camaro and an Impala..its a BIG difference.

Crozier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MCaesar
    Pretty much everybody that sees my brother's XLR goes 'ga-ga' over it. The MB is good looking, the XLR and V are Gorgeous!

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

^^Damn straight, I was following an XLR for maybe 4 miles last week and I was amazed at how many heads were turning.

harryctsv is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crozier
    Pretty much everybody that sees my brother's XLR goes 'ga-ga' over it. The MB is good looking, the XLR and V are Gorgeous!
    Hi crozier,
    imagine my XLR here in Germany. Most don`t know what car I drive but anybody loves the look of it!

Harry

NIK
    NIK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '99 De Ville, '05 CTS-V

"Look at how dealers are discounting CTS-Vs like mad whereas Chrysler is still getting over sticker for their SRT8s."

Another bit of mis-information ....... SRT-8's are also being sold for under sticker. Go make them an offer and you'll see!

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    ^^Damn straight, I was following an XLR for maybe 4 miles last week and I was amazed at how many heads were turning.
    try driveing it ......i felt like a frickin rockstar

repo man is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    try driveing it ......i felt like a frickin rockstar

Stoney, man, you are a rock star.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

without the whole money/singing thing .....

coarse brittney couldnt sing either ....you may be onto something ....or im on something

bcbraem is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I bought one of the first -V's in Florida in 02/06. I love it. One of the finest cars I've ever driven (I'm 54 y/o). I'm trying to set a personal record for not putting the top up. When I lived in Key West ('81 - '84) I had a Triumph TR-250 which had a tonneau cover but no top.

If you think the car is overpriced, don't buy one, otherwise shut up.

Rachane is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Context

Since the regular XLR is relatively affordably priced and has plenty of performance & power for just about anyone's reasonable/rational driving, the XLR-V is really sort of an "exclusive collector's item" - as one could say about high-$ exotics generally. The pricetag just "identifies" this. In that context it is at what might be called the "bottom edge of unreasonableness" at $100K. You pop that money just because you want the car for its exclusivity & statement, really. So saying that it should/be $10K cheaper is beside the point. Why should a Ferrari 430 or a Lambo Gallardo not be $50K cheaper than their MSRPs?

IMHO The XLR-V is actually a "bargain" in the exotic league, since it is a much better car in every regard than everything that costs $50-100K+ more. Spend some time with one, then testdrive some of the much-higher$ alternatives and see how, despite their hood ornaments, they simply aren't as good.

Cadillac aced it with the XLR, and the XLR-V is just something that Arnold needs to "borrow" in the next Terminator movie.

V-Smooth is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Raven V [SOLD]

After driving the XLR-V, it's not overpriced, great ride and power bolted to an automatic. The wow-factor is what makes it worth it.

However, I would not buy one over a Z06. I'd take the extra $10k (roughly) and buy a Maggie for the Z06. Plus I like a manual tranny.

Overall I love the XLR(V)'s chizzled look and stance. Very sharp styling! Mad props!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.