06 v 6500 mile,s as new pan seals leak.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR-V Series Forum Discussion, 06 v 6500 mile,s as new pan seals leak. in Cadillac V-Series Forums; can anyone tell me why I have to pay 3500 dollars to have seals put on a car with 6500 ...
    jerz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

06 v 6500 mile,s as new pan seals leak.

can anyone tell me why I have to pay 3500 dollars to have seals put on a car with 6500 miles its leaking up near filter@ front pan? Thank,s jerz

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    The oil pan gasket is leaking? Does your xlr get driven alot? I see you wrote it has minimal mileage.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Re: 06 v 6500 mile,s as new pan seals leak.

A car is designed to be driven. If not, seals and gaskets tend to dry out, rubber tends to dry rot, and belts will deteriorate.

My car sat for two years before I got it. And within the first 500 miles, a belt let loose and pulled the front seal. As with your oil pan gasket, the whole front clip and radiator has to be removed and the suspension dropped to effect the repairs.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

Thanks for reply on seals for what i paid knew Id have issue,s you confined my thinking great sight. jerz

Johnxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ
    A car is designed to be driven. If not, seals and gaskets tend to dry out, rubber tends to dry rot, and belts will deteriorate. My car sat for two years before I got it. And within the first 500 miles, a belt let loose and pulled the front seal. As with your oil pan gasket, the whole front clip and radiator has to be removed and the suspension dropped to effect the repairs.
    Though that seems odd with the latest advances with gasket composition...and a bit concerning since a lot of us (raises hand) parks their beloved XLR for the winter.

Gizmo thank you for all your info, still seeking a resolve on this issue of seals preciate your time jerz

Pm inbox full...:

Quote Originally Posted by jerz
    Worked with this GM dealership for many years there honest and upfront, how much of my car we'll have to come apart to fix this inconvent leak? Is it true the whole front end must come off to address this problem 3600 dollars worth? The car is pristine knowing this I don't like the idea of my car being taken apart your thoughts? Jerz
    If the leak is minor with no oil stains below, I would opt for the correct synthetic oil and filter, put a few miles on it and see if it goes away. I have no real fears with the work to repair as long as you are clear about your concerns and the dealer has the certified XLR tech.

Sometimes, a higher viscosity oil (running in a cold climate) and perhaps overfilling can cause a higher than normal oil pressure and a premature seal leak. The question is, will this reseat? This is usually why I drive conservatively ( keeping RPMs lower) until the car heats up. I am thinking it is rare for a seal to wear and leak with long periods of non-operation (thinking the old school seals, where this was a cause), which was why I was thinking the incorrect oil/cold weather scenario.

If your dealer is really reputable, ask about the possibility of a "weeping" seal getting better with routine use. It would be interesting to see what they think.

Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by jerz View Post
    can anyone tell me why I have to pay 3500 dollars to have seals put on a car with 6500 miles its leaking up near filter@ front pan? Thank,s jerz
    Mine started leaking at about 45,000 miles. Front timing chain cover. Fortunately it was fixed under warranty. I just changed oil and noticed it leaking again now at 70,000 miles. No longer under warranty so I will just live with it. It's not so bad that I have to park it on the road yet to keep it from messing up the drive.

Thanks all for info let you all know resolve, on leak issues. Happy xlr to all. jerz...

Is this site still up and running? jerz

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

is this site still up and running? Jerz
    yeeesssss!
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

Finally figured it out there's not too much talk on X l R because there's not a lot of them which could be good or bad depending what side you're on! jerz

'Tis a shame. A recent club rally in Houston, where amongst cameros, mustangs, challengers, vetted, etc. I had the only one...Drew a lot of attention " what is this?"...wish Cadillac would bring back this car

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Guys feel free to post in the STS-V forum. Same LC3, MUCH more traffic.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.