Advice on 2008 V needed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR-V Series Forum Discussion, Advice on 2008 V needed in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I would like to join your exclusive club by buying a 2008 XVR-V. I have reached the age where I ...
    jshaw111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Advice on 2008 V needed

I would like to join your exclusive club by buying a 2008 XVR-V. I have reached the age where I can "scratch my itch" and the XLR-V looks really good. I would like your input on this model. The car is in another state so I have only seen pictures but it does look nice. It has 41,000 miles. Second owner is selling it.
    1. Are there any persistent problem areas I should address?
    2. With 41K miles, are there major maintenance items facing me?
    3. Warranty has expired. Should I buy extended warranty?
    4. Any specific questions I should be asking the owner?

Any comments you have will be appreciated. You can respond here or directly to me at john.shaw@inbox.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Johnxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Sounds good.

Not a lot of changes from my 06...does have that side vent.

The 4.4l n* ( yes, lower compression and lower displacement) is a titanium rod, balanced n blueprinted wonder that gives you some excitement when pressing the "go" pedal to be sure.

19inch wheels, and brakes that are probably worth having the pads checked...41k can be about the the replacement time...use the rippy parts guy for factory pads here...good savings and great guy!

There are a few other differences,but not many...i would say that the majority of issues found with the base XLR (not to imply that the non v xlr is anything close to base) should also apply to the v series.

2008...any chance of extending the factory warranty?

Yes, you can get the mild to wild switch for the exhaust...being that the v has those vette valves ...it's a blast!

Price?

Good luck and probably have the service record checked...as with any XLR...

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Re: Advice on 2008 V needed

Quote Originally Posted by jshaw111 View Post
    I would like to join your exclusive club by buying a 2008 XLR-V. I have reached the age where I can "scratch my itch" and the XLR-V looks really good. I would like your input on this model. The car is in another state so I have only seen pictures but it does look nice. It has 41,000 miles. Second owner is selling it.
    1. Are there any persistent problem areas I should address?
    2. With 41K miles, are there major maintenance items facing me?
    3. Warranty has expired. Should I buy extended warranty?
    4. Any specific questions I should be asking the owner?

Any comments you have will be appreciated. You can respond here or directly to me at john.shaw@inbox.com
    First things first - get the VIN# from the seller and take it to your local Caddy dealership and have them print the service history of the car. This will give you an idea of what condition its in, if it has been well maintained, and what "persistent problems" exist. Also having this before you visit the seller is a plus.

If it leaks oil or antifreeze- walk away. These problems are very rare, but expensive.

Have them start the car and fully open the roof, wait 15 seconds and fully close the roof. If it fails anywhere in the cycle have him get it fixed before purchase - don't take any excuses on this because most aftermarket warranties don't cover it.

Major maintenance - have them get the 50,000 maintenance performed before your purchase (~$580)

Research warranty companies carefully, if you can afford the $2-4000 for one, go for it! Money well spent if you ever have problems. I knew going in that I would be modding mine so an aftermarket warranty wasn't going to do me any good. If well maintained, expect one or two repairs a year to keep it in tip-top shape with that mileage and every repair to cost $1000 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnxlrv View Post
    Not a lot of changes from my 06...does have that side vent.
    09 was the only year with the side vents from the factory - and not all of them.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.