RATTLE Snake Bite the XLR-V - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XLR-V Series Forum Discussion, RATTLE Snake Bite the XLR-V in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Nice car!! I want one!...
    BCwheelsNA is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: RATTLE Snake Bite the XLR-V

Nice car!! I want one!

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Been a while since I last posted. Not much going into mods been traveling mostly. Tracked the car twice, so had to replace tires again.

Computer is in, joystick is in. Data logging has begun (can't read IAT2, yet.) Computer mod not done completely. I still have to add my HDRadio and get rid of a slight RFI problem. Didn't know there was so much heat transferred to the rollbars. Computer temp is too high so need to add some ventilation.

After another 4000 miles, I finally got around to gutting the cats. My local muffler shop opened the bottom half of the cats and pulled all the guts out, then welded the bottoms back on. Looks clean, no leaks, and breathes much better.

Quote Originally Posted by 550HP STSV View Post
    How much did the sound change, Gizmo? From semi clogged cats to gutted cats now? Does the car smell bad? Is it ratty? A lot of drone? Did it get much louder inside the car? Outside the car?
    Wow, fast and furious.
    Sound is more hollow, not as deep like before - I can tell the exhaust flows faster(went from 60s muscle car to ferrari).
    Not clogged at all, just hot and costing power. Completely gutted now.
    Exhaust does smell, but I'm moving too fast to smell it most of the time.
    Not ratty at all, I thought it would be, too, but downshifts are SICK - whole lotta rumble.
    Already had drone, pitch is a little higher, unnoticeable to casual bystander. Need Corsas now.
    Inside is pretty much the same, throttle's just more responsive (like I ever thought that could happen).
    Outside is definitely a different note. Startup is loud as hell, then 10 seconds to calm idle (sweet rumble), WOT is ridiculous - its louder on both ends, intake and exhaust!
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

do you get like a fluttering noise, or like a russling noise from the gutted cats? most noticeable when you pass another car you can hear like a slight exhaust leak sound from the cats now being hollow?

do you get like a fluttering noise, or like a russling noise from the gutted cats? most noticeable when you pass another car you can hear like a slight exhaust leak sound from the cats now being hollow?
    I only get that at startup and it was there before I gutted the cats. I've listened for it when cruising and at WOT and if its there its too faint for me to notice since my mufflers are always open. You might want to check for a real exhaust leak, tighten up the bolts past the cats, and have your welds redone.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

Agreed. Thanks for the advice.

You ever get that super chiller in?

Agreed. Thanks for the advice.

You ever get that super chiller in?
    This season, hopefully.

Mod hell continues...

Took a quick vacation to Florida for the CTS-V Shootout at Palm Beach International Raceway. The group rented the track for the whole day 9-4. 20 Cadillacs showed up, 16 ready to race. One guy drove down from Milwaukee and took his snow tires off to put on his Drag Radials.:rocker: Watching the CTS-V guys drag race all day really got to me. Totally stock 2010 V2 sedan had the nerve to run a 12.07 on drag radials. Super modified 2009 V2 sedan ran 10.43 without using his 300 shot nitrous (just imagine what nitrous would do). By the afternoon, they goaded me into running Elwood. My best time after three runs was 12.873 @110.5 with a 2.134 60ft time. Road tires and gradual throttle input kept my 60ft times pretty high and I still lost traction in the first to second shift. But I digress....

The Florida trip was to drop off Elwood for cooling mods. A Super Chiller is being added to the supercharger intercooler line and meth injection is being added to the intakes. Hopefully, with these two mods IAT and IAT2 temps can be reduced enough to add more timing and finally achieve my goal RWHP.

The Super Chiller is basically an interface between the AC and intercooler coolant that chills the intercooler coolant to ~50 degrees. The simplest description of a Super Chiller is that it makes cold water. There is no way a water to air heat exchanger is going to make 50 deg water when its 95 deg out. With coolant refrigerated to low 50s the intercooler will be as efficient as possible. The version being installed is competition style, i.e., comes with a switch that disables cockpit AC for max intercooler chilling. I figured this best because I rarely use the AC anyway, there's no reason for me to freeze just to get the blower chilled. Below is the freon/water heat exchanger. Mine is the bigger one on the left. The one on the right is for GTO and Camaro applications.

Methanol is primarily for the increase in effective octane rating as well as cooling the air inlet charge. The Stage 3 Boost Cooler® chosen is one of the best for accuracy and adjustability in water-methanol injection systems. This system features an LCD display with on-the-fly adjustability. The software creates a delivery map based on boost or EFI signal from just a few easy to set points you punch in from the drivers seat. I like this one because the LCD Screen displays boost pressure, fuel injector duty cycle, as well as water-methanol injection percent. Since the XLR has no boost gauge, this alleviates my having to get a gauge stack like Bob's. Quick, easy, positive adjustments are made with 2 push buttons. Low profile design allows for easy-to-view and discrete mounting inside the instrument cluster just above the DIC.

As usual, we already run into a few snags. Since there is no intercooler coolant tank, we've had to go with a larger freon/water heat exchanger. The larger exchanger barely fits in front of the wheel well after we had to move the transmission cooler to the front of the radiator. The Meth kit will use the windshield wiper fluid tank so the headlight washer pump and hoses had to be disabled/removed and that line out of the tank now feeds the injector pump.

In moving the transmission cooler, my mechanic found the transmission fluid was, well, lets just say drag racing burnt the life out it. Now I'm looking for a bigger trans cooler and the trans fluid needs to be flushed.

Once these mods are done, we'll dyno it against the current cruising tune to log ICWT, IAT, and IAT2 so I'm comfortable to drive it home. Then Wait4Me will dyno tune it again to dial in the meth and get all the horsepower available.

I just hope I'm lucky enough to get this accomplished in a couple weeks so I can join the MM gang at Sebring and then stay the next week to see the Team Cadillac racing in the Streets of St Pete.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    Mod hell continues...

Took a quick vacation to Florida for the CTS-V Shootout at Palm Beach International Raceway. The group rented the track for the whole day 9-4. 20 Cadillacs showed up, 16 ready to race. One guy drove down from Milwaukee and took his snow tires off to put on his Drag Radials.:rocker: Watching the CTS-V guys drag race all day really got to me. Totally stock 2010 V2 sedan had the nerve to run a 12.07 on drag radials. Super modified 2009 V2 sedan ran 10.43 without using his 300 shot nitrous (just imagine what nitrous would do). By the afternoon, they goaded me into running Elwood. My best time after three runs was 12.873 @110.5 with a 2.134 60ft time. Road tires and gradual throttle input kept my 60ft times pretty high and I still lost traction in the first to second shift. But I digress....

The Florida trip was to drop off Elwood for cooling mods. A Super Chiller is being added to the supercharger intercooler line and meth injection is being added to the intakes. Hopefully, with these two mods IAT and IAT2 temps can be reduced enough to add more timing and finally achieve my goal RWHP.

The Super Chiller is basically an interface between the AC and intercooler coolant that chills the intercooler coolant to ~50 degrees. The simplest description of a Super Chiller is that it makes cold water. There is no way a water to air heat exchanger is going to make 50 deg water when its 95 deg out. With coolant refrigerated to low 50s the intercooler will be as efficient as possible. The version being installed is competition style, i.e., comes with a switch that disables cockpit AC for max intercooler chilling. I figured this best because I rarely use the AC anyway, there's no reason for me to freeze just to get the blower chilled. Below is the freon/water heat exchanger. Mine is the bigger one on the left. The one on the right is for GTO and Camaro applications.

Methanol is primarily for the increase in effective octane rating as well as cooling the air inlet charge. The Stage 3 Boost Cooler® chosen is one of the best for accuracy and adjustability in water-methanol injection systems. This system features an LCD display with on-the-fly adjustability. The software creates a delivery map based on boost or EFI signal from just a few easy to set points you punch in from the drivers seat. I like this one because the LCD Screen displays boost pressure, fuel injector duty cycle, as well as water-methanol injection percent. Since the XLR has no boost gauge, this alleviates my having to get a gauge stack like Bob's. Quick, easy, positive adjustments are made with 2 push buttons. Low profile design allows for easy-to-view and discrete mounting inside the instrument cluster just above the DIC.

As usual, we already run into a few snags. Since there is no intercooler coolant tank, we've had to go with a larger freon/water heat exchanger. The larger exchanger barely fits in front of the wheel well after we had to move the transmission cooler to the front of the radiator. The Meth kit will use the windshield wiper fluid tank so the headlight washer pump and hoses had to be disabled/removed and that line out of the tank now feeds the injector pump.

In moving the transmission cooler, my mechanic found the transmission fluid was, well, lets just say drag racing burnt the life out it. Now I'm looking for a bigger trans cooler and the trans fluid needs to be flushed.

Once these mods are done, we'll dyno it against the current cruising tune to log ICWT, IAT, and IAT2 so I'm comfortable to drive it home. Then Wait4Me will dyno tune it again to dial in the meth and get all the horsepower available.

I just hope I'm lucky enough to get this accomplished in a couple weeks so I can join the MM gang at Sebring and then stay the next week to see the Team Cadillac racing in the Streets of St Pete.
    Sounds like the shootout was a good time. Kudos to you for driving all the way down there for it.

I have two observations:

1. Your trap speed should be a lot higher. 110mph is low to mid 400s for rwhp.
    2. Three 1/4 mile runs didn't burn up your trans fluid. You probably have some burned clutches.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    Sounds like the shootout was a good time. Kudos to you for driving all the way down there for it.

I have two observations:

1. Your trap speed should be a lot higher. 110mph is low to mid 400s for rwhp.
    2. Three 1/4 mile runs didn't burn up your trans fluid. You probably have some burned clutches.
    1. You're right, but as I said I wasn't full throttle till after second gear and that was near the 60' mark. I know I was slow and cold street tires didn't help. When I'm at Gateway this summer and can have it towed home to replace the rear diff, I'll put DRs on and stomp on it.

2. I really didn't want to know that.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Are the corvette diffs as fragile as the cts/sts?

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    Are the corvette diffs as fragile as the cts/sts?
    I've had two different sources confirm the answer is YES. Damnit.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Is the Chiller project done yet?

No need to rehash the other posts, but see the detailed write-up starting at post 100 in this thread:
    The ultimate intercooler upgrade!

Yes its fairly complete, but other mods/repairs are still ongoing. Data LCDs wiring for both Chiller and Meth should be done this week. Front bumper is off to paint today. Upper and lower grilles geting reinforced. Hood trim getting reglued. Tranny flush scheduled later this week. I anticipate dyno runs 4/7 and another Wait4Me tune the following week. Been at Texas Mile all weekend scoping the place out for a possible run in October. With all this good weather, I miss not having ELWOOD on the road.

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

I wonder if you're maybe leaving lots of power on the table that you're not getting... according to this article:

http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_1...n/viewall.html

The northstar engines can hit a 8500rpm redline with just a simple valve spring change... and these guys at Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators seem to know what they're doing - perhaps you should give them a call and see what your LC3 motor can really do... most of the tuners I've spoken with seem to be LS tuners who just are using the same tricks on the Northstar, whereas CHRF looks like they specialize in Northstar.

http://www.chrfab.com/

Thoughts?

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Bad link on the article.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.