Performance Parts ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR-V Series Forum Discussion, Performance Parts ? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hello all new to the site. I own a restoration shop and just got a new job in. It is ...
    fullcircle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1959 convt

Performance Parts ?

Hello all new to the site. I own a restoration shop and just got a new job in. It is a 1959 Convertible that the customer wants us to put a sts v/xlr v engine and transmission in. Where is the best place to find aftermarket parts for the 4.4? Mainly headers and performance upgrades?

Thanks Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ccclarke is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Re: Performance Parts ?

I hope your customer is very, very wealthy because he's gonna split it with you. There are far easier (and cheaper) ways to power his '59 convertible. It might end up being easier to transplant the car's body to the XLR's chassis. . . Given enough time and money, nothing is impossible, however.

The XLR is the most complex production vehicle GM has ever built. It's technology is still creeping into the rest of their line-up --after six years. You're not dropping just an engine and tranny in, you'll need a bunch of electronic modules to tie it all together as well. If you figure out how to re-program the CAN to ignore the missing components, I'll be most impressed. The BCM will be looking for all of the modules and will likely puke it's silicon guts out if they aren't reporting in. (There are 23, not counting all the sensors that report to them.) I've read the posts of several mechanics and would-be DIYers trying to do just this same thing and none could pull it off, especially after spending big bucks for the powertrains, not realizing what they were really getting into. If you do, let us know. I'd love to see it done.

Good luck!

CC

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

Talk to AJxtcman on the forum, he knows everything about the Northstar motor (including the supercharged version)... I believe he's put a N* in a Fiero as a project... and he doesn't find the supercharged ver to be much different than the standard N*.

As much as I respect ccclarke's opinion on things, I dont' think the transplant is as hard as he makes it out to be...

ccclarke is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Smile Re: Performance Parts ?

Ditto! Is this a great country, or what?!!

CC

fullcircle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1959 convt

Ok, I have made some calles to my usual companies I use for late model drivetrain transplants and there seems to be no problem with the 4.4 V motor transplant. I send off the computer and harness to my computer guy he goes thru it taking out any unnecessary wiring and gives the pcm initial reflash. Once the car is ready to start I have a mobil tech who I use come by and final tune the computer. I will keep everyone posted as I go. Now I just need to find a drivetrain.

Thanks Tom

BrandonW is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Hey can you tell me how this went about? I also require making some calls too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.