Replacing XLR-V Tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR-V Series Forum Discussion, Replacing XLR-V Tires in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Now that I've hit 16k miles, it looks like I need new tires on my V. Here's what I'd like: ...
    deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

Replacing XLR-V Tires

Now that I've hit 16k miles, it looks like I need new tires on my V. Here's what I'd like:
    • I'm only interested in run-flat tires... I've had three flats in 16k miles, and every one of those flats I got in a city away from home.
    • I'd like wider rear tires than 255 - after the performance upgrades, its harder to maintain traction on hard acceleration.
    • I'd like to see options that will allow me to keep my stock rims... but this is flexible.
    So some options I've come up with are:
    • Just forget it, and get the stock tires in the stock sizes and move on.
    • The stock Pirelli eufori@ run-flats are available in 275/40R19 which may not fit on the stock 8.5"-width wheels in the rear. The overall diameter would move from a stock 27.03in to 27.66in which is about a 2.28% increase. (I will just get the computer reprogramed to correct the speedo). I will just keep the stock 235/45R19 up front.
    • I found that the Goodyear Excellence RunOnFlat tire is also available in 275/40R19 for the rear... and its availble in 245/45R19 which I could put up front.
    Assuming that the 8.5" stock rims can't take more than a 255mm width tire - I guess i'll have to upgrade wheels... any wheel/tire combinations that max out the sizes but are still runflat that people can suggest?

I saw this ebay listing where he got 285/30R20's to fit...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-XLR-2004-CADILLAC-XLR-Mint-Condition-WHEELS-HOT_W0QQitemZ260407101811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Car s_Trucks?hash=item3ca1790973&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245 &_trkparms=65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Any thoughts and/or advice would be helpful....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Re: Replacing XLR-V Tires

Hello,
    Just FYI, the approved rim width for the 275/40/R19 tire is 9.5" wide wheel. That would be just out of the range of the factory width rim. The other option would be to run an aftermarket 9.5" wide rim and use the 275/40/R19 tire. Unfortunately there are not a lot of options for run flats, but understanding your past issues with tires, it is certainly understood.

Let us know if we can help.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
    Now that I've hit 16k miles, it looks like I need new tires on my V. Here's what I'd like:
    • I'm only interested in run-flat tires... I've had three flats in 16k miles, and every one of those flats I got in a city away from home.
    • I'd like wider rear tires than 255 - after the performance upgrades, its harder to maintain traction on hard acceleration.
    • I'd like to see options that will allow me to keep my stock rims... but this is flexible.
    So some options I've come up with are:
    • Just forget it, and get the stock tires in the stock sizes and move on.
    • The stock Pirelli eufori@ run-flats are available in 275/40R19 which may not fit on the stock 8.5"-width wheels in the rear. The overall diameter would move from a stock 27.03in to 27.66in which is about a 2.28% increase. (I will just get the computer reprogramed to correct the speedo). I will just keep the stock 235/45R19 up front.
    • I found that the Goodyear Excellence RunOnFlat tire is also available in 275/40R19 for the rear... and its availble in 245/45R19 which I could put up front.
    Assuming that the 8.5" stock rims can't take more than a 255mm width tire - I guess i'll have to upgrade wheels... any wheel/tire combinations that max out the sizes but are still runflat that people can suggest?

I saw this ebay listing where he got 285/30R20's to fit...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-XLR-2004-CADILLAC-XLR-Mint-Condition-WHEELS-HOT_W0QQitemZ260407101811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Car s_Trucks?hash=item3ca1790973&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245 &_trkparms=65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Any thoughts and/or advice would be helpful....

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

I'm still chewing on the run-flat issue...

I met a Z06 Vette owner and he's running standard tires and carries a plug kit... says not to sweat it and the plug kits work great.

Anyone have any opinions on how feasible it is to use a plug-kit while on the road? (I don't expect to keep the plug in permanently, just long enough to get the tire serviced).

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

I want to say that there is an optional factory air compressor with some of the new GM vehicles....This is the "new" spare. Works pretty good. We had a flat on one of the show vehicles and the little compressor filled the tire back up within a few minutes through the factory lighter plug. Even has a little pressure gauge. Much smaller than a spare tire.
    Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Peter Prowalny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 XLR-V

Whatever you do, be sure the back and front tires rotate at the same speed or you will have traction control issues!

Johnxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    If I did not have a new stock set of run flats that were installed on my v just before I bought it, I would certainly opt for something that would track better and give a better ride. Not a fan of run-flats...other than that bit of security it gives

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design View Post
    I want to say that there is an optional factory air compressor with some of the new GM vehicles....This is the "new" spare. Works pretty good. We had a flat on one of the show vehicles and the little compressor filled the tire back up within a few minutes through the factory lighter plug. Even has a little pressure gauge. Much smaller than a spare tire.
    I had a Saturn Sky with this setup. From the factory it had a small compressor and a can of fix-a-flat that screws onto the compressor. Might be worth hitting a junkyard or ebay to see if you can find a new one for sale.

Since I have no spare on the Caddy I bought a cheap plug kit to throw in the back and have a small compressor as well. Figure if I can see the nail/screw then I can plug it until I get to a repair shop. Otherwise, there's AAA Premium for the long tow home on a flatbed.

Greg O. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTSV turbo, 04 XLR, 06 XLR-V

harbor freight mini cig. lighter compressor, and a good plug kit[metal not plastic]..also buy a tube of the clear glue..Makes the plugs go in easier and also adds to the bind......Only way to go..runflats are lousy tires and waaay overpriced.....good luck...RADARB8

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.