Bought 06 V series and exhaust drones on highway
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR-V Series Forum Discussion, Bought 06 V series and exhaust drones on highway in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I just bought an 06 V series XLR from an original owners wife (the owner is now deceased) but she ...
    1999STSguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS

Question Bought 06 V series and exhaust drones on highway

I just bought an 06 V series XLR from an original owners wife (the owner is now deceased) but she remembers him doing something with the exhaust. (It drones at highway speeds). At idle it also has a very deep sound to the exhaust note. Its still original, but she thinks he altered it somewhere. Does the exhaust have and electronic bypass valve that opens under acceleration? I'm thinking if this is the case, the previous owner may have somehow programed it to always be open. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vixapphire is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Fleetwood FWD, 2002 DTS (both gone)

Re: Bought 06 V series and exhaust drones on highway

from what i've read, the exhaust has some kind of bypass that opens on heavy pedal, providing the sound effects that people buy v8 cars to hear!

harrower is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS XLR-V SRX

The V's have a controller in the drivers side rear trunk compartment. Make sure all of the wires are plugged in. You will get a terrible drone at highway speeds. You can look in the exhaust tips and see the flap open. If the white wire on the controller is unplugged, the flap stays open. You can get a Mid-to-Wild controller that allows you to open and close using your visor buttons. Do a search on this forum for more info.

rangerxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 XLR-V

Definitely sounds like the butterfly valves are open. The previous owner may have just cut the wire that controls the exhaust. If he added a mild2wild switch you can find it in the left rear hatch. Look inside the center seat console and see if you find a barrel switch mounted in there. Some V owners have spliced into the wire that controls the baffles and use a switch to turn them on and off.

I use the mild2wild wireless switch to control my baffles. I leave the baffles on my car open most of the time, but when on the interstate I usually turn them back on to stop the drone you talk about.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.