Chrome "vent" on '09's - Why on some but not others?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac XLR-V Series Forum Discussion, Chrome "vent" on '09's - Why on some but not others? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So I've been looking at these cars, and I think the 09 refresh of the front bumper really took some ...
    vixapphire is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Fleetwood FWD, 2002 DTS (both gone)

Chrome "vent" on '09's - Why on some but not others?

So I've been looking at these cars, and I think the 09 refresh of the front bumper really took some of the chunk off the appearance of the car. The updated interior wood is nice, as is the removal of that "BVLGARI" idiocy in the gauge cluster.

I notice that some 2009's have the chrome vent on the front fender before the door's leading edge, while others do not. Does anyone know why this is so, or when they started with the vent? It seems some of the earlier-built 2009 cars do not have the vent, while the later ones do. Can anyone confirm this, provide numbers of each type, etc.? Also, does anyone know how many 2009's were produced?

Finally, is the vent even functional at all? It looked like the black grillework between the chrome slats were just plastic honeycomb without perforations, but I didn't look too closely. They look fake to me, but I'd appreciate someone confirming.

The idea of a 2009 with the 2008/earlier's uninterrupted side-panels is very appealling.

Thanks for your comments.

vic

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Re: Chrome "vent" on '09's - Why on some but not others?

Its my understanding the chrome vents are on all the 09 models. I am sure a dealership rep can verify is this is correct.

I am sure the side vents are not functional. Much like some of the previous model Cadillacs equipped with standard side vents. IMO, the vents should have been laid flush with the fender and not raised....We have one coming in here on Monday for some mods, I will have to check it out first hand and see what can be done. I am pretty sure you will have to replace the fender with an 08 or earlier version to properly remove the fender vents.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
    So I've been looking at these cars, and I think the 09 refresh of the front bumper really took some of the chunk off the appearance of the car. The updated interior wood is nice, as is the removal of that "BVLGARI" idiocy in the gauge cluster.

I notice that some 2009's have the chrome vent on the front fender before the door's leading edge, while others do not. Does anyone know why this is so, or when they started with the vent? It seems some of the earlier-built 2009 cars do not have the vent, while the later ones do. Can anyone confirm this, provide numbers of each type, etc.? Also, does anyone know how many 2009's were produced?

Finally, is the vent even functional at all? It looked like the black grillework between the chrome slats were just plastic honeycomb without perforations, but I didn't look too closely. They look fake to me, but I'd appreciate someone confirming.

The idea of a 2009 with the 2008/earlier's uninterrupted side-panels is very appealling.

Thanks for your comments.

vic

The vent looks like it's a "snap-in" part into a hole cut into the existing fender, which likely explains why it's raised like that.

Interestingly, not all the 09's have it. It may be the early builds that didn't get the vent, but there are a few cars out there that have the 09-style interior wood and the 09 front and rear bumpers/ground-effects, as well as the "SUPERCHARGED" delete from the doors, but don't have the vent. Saw a few on cars.com.

If it were up to me, I'd get one of those early 09's w/o the vent, and have the selling dealership install the door lettering because it's just way cooler than the bare door. But that's just my taste!

v

Yeah it would appear there is a hole cut in the fender.... We will be pulling apart this 09 XLR-V later this week to confirm. It sure would be nice if it sat flush!

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

The vent looks like it's a "snap-in" part into a hole cut into the existing fender, which likely explains why it's raised like that.

Interestingly, not all the 09's have it. It may be the early builds that didn't get the vent, but there are a few cars out there that have the 09-style interior wood and the 09 front and rear bumpers/ground-effects, as well as the "SUPERCHARGED" delete from the doors, but don't have the vent. Saw a few on cars.com.

If it were up to me, I'd get one of those early 09's w/o the vent, and have the selling dealership install the door lettering because it's just way cooler than the bare door. But that's just my taste!

v

Doc,

Now that you're taking one apart, please let us know whether it's possible to do the "black chrome" anodizing on the vent piece too; also, what about black-chroming a set of the stock chrome wheels?

I'm disappointed in GM for making far more chrome-wheeled-from-factory XLR-V's for the 2009 year than they should have. I know you guys do the black-chrome thing with the grilles on these cars, either owner-supplied or purchased from you all, and I've seen the pricing. It would be interesting to know whether it's even possible, and for what price, a set of the chrome rims (stock GM XLR-V chrome rims) could be "black-chromed".

Thanks,

vic

Well that is actually why we are taking this one apart. We are doing the black chrome finish to all the bright chrome pieces. We can do the wheels, but the wheels that were built for the vehicle are a set of HRE's in matte black finish. So no black chrome on those...

Black chrome on the factory wheels shouldnt be too bad. Its been a while since I priced out some black chrome factory wheels. I can get you pricing if you want...

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Doc,

Now that you're taking one apart, please let us know whether it's possible to do the "black chrome" anodizing on the vent piece too; also, what about black-chroming a set of the stock chrome wheels?

I'm disappointed in GM for making far more chrome-wheeled-from-factory XLR-V's for the 2009 year than they should have. I know you guys do the black-chrome thing with the grilles on these cars, either owner-supplied or purchased from you all, and I've seen the pricing. It would be interesting to know whether it's even possible, and for what price, a set of the chrome rims (stock GM XLR-V chrome rims) could be "black-chromed".

Thanks,

vic

So that means you're black-chroming the little horizontal chrome piece in each of the (2009) foglamp gratings in the front bumper too? Sounds like a first-rate pain in the backside! Wouldn't it be as effective to take a black magic marker to the chrome on the foglamp gratings? (i'm only half-joking...)

v

Yeah we have to do it all. It's okay, it will look great when its all said and done. Besides we will have the front bumper off for some of the stage 2.5 upgrades. The magic marker idea does sound interesting.... We will also do the small trim panel on the rear bumper around the faux vents.

Thank you,

Dr. Design

So that means you're black-chroming the little horizontal chrome piece in each of the (2009) foglamp gratings in the front bumper too? Sounds like a first-rate pain in the backside! Wouldn't it be as effective to take a black magic marker to the chrome on the foglamp gratings? (i'm only half-joking...)

v

Wow; please post some photos, here or on your web site, when you've finished the chrome-mods on the car! I would love to see that, because the bright chrome fender vent is almost enough to turn me off the 2009 entirely (although there are some 2009's out there without the vent, including one on ebay right now).

Will do! This is going to be a pretty cool car once it is all said and done. We are doing a bunch of work to a few XLR-V's that we will release back into the wild in a few weeks... Images to follow ofcourse.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Wow; please post some photos, here or on your web site, when you've finished the chrome-mods on the car! I would love to see that, because the bright chrome fender vent is almost enough to turn me off the 2009 entirely (although there are some 2009's out there without the vent, including one on ebay right now).

Any word on the photos of that blacked-out '09 yet?

Hello,
    Not yet as we are still doing the performance & suspension. We will have images up soon enough though with the black out process....
    Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Any word on the photos of that blacked-out '09 yet?

that's as bad-assed as it gets. I've been checking in daily for photos; do I need a life or something?

When I get one of these things, most likely during the second half of this year provided Barry and Timmy don't skroo da pooch too badly in DC, I'm looking at either flannel grey or black. Grey looks ok with the chrome, but black would be brutal with everything blacked out (and the wheels anodized as well...). I wonder how the grey flannel color would look with the chrome blacked out like that? In any event, that black one on your site's user photos page, lowered, is the hotness. I'll be coming by for that lowering trick for starters, with the rest of the obscene performance upgrading to take place over a period of the ensuing couple of years. This is a car I want to own for a long time, and build out to the limit!

Hi Doc,

just thought I'd check back in with you re. photos of this blacked out monster...

Hope you're having a nice spring.

best,
    vic

Hello Vic,
    Thanks for the follow up. We are still working on this vehicle. Its coming out really nice. Here is a sneak peak shot -

Certainly more to come once we get it to the point of showing it. The car looks REALLY cool!!

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Hi Doc,

just thought I'd check back in with you re. photos of this blacked out monster...

Hope you're having a nice spring.

best,
    vic

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.