Year to year differences?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR-V Series Forum Discussion, Year to year differences? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So, how big of a deal are the tweaks in the magnetic suspension system that seem to be the only ...
    vixapphire is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Fleetwood FWD, 2002 DTS (both gone)

Year to year differences?

So, how big of a deal are the tweaks in the magnetic suspension system that seem to be the only difference of substance year to year from 2006-2008?

Are there any other substantive differences between model years during that time frame? Did the "hot center console" issue from 2006 get resolved for 07, or 08? Was it resolved by a recall repair of 06's, or do 06's still have the 100+ degree cupholders people were talking about here a few years ago?

These prices on 06's are getting really attractive, and with the recent announcement that the 09 is the last year, the XLR is going to be a super-cheap used car for awhile. Still, I'd wait for an 08 if the differences made it worthwhile. But other than the steering wheel I can't see anything that would matter enough to wait for -- granted, I've not driven both an 06 and 08, which is why I'm asking.

thanks for reading this, and for your comments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Year to year differences?

bump

DTS Diamond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac DTS Lux III 07, DHS 04, Allante 93 06 XLR Platinum

The 04 through 06 have a 5 speed trans and the 07 through 09 have a 6 speed. The 06 on have a heavier duty radiator I am told. Different color choices vary by year. XLR-V available starting 06 model year. Doug_J

Thanks Doug,
    I guess I wasn't clear, but I meant the differences in the XLR-V's over the years.

Harry_Wild is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Sedandeville

Quote Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
    Thanks Doug,
    I guess I wasn't clear, but I meant the differences in the XLR-V's over the years.

Can anyone here finish up this thread for me! I interested in know the differences are and this thread was never asked.

Thanks.

commander112 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan White/Recaro/Manual/Polished

No real differences between 06-08. A few detail changes and I'm sure some tweaking here and there (quality control lessons learned) but it is the same car in those years. I think the silence is that people start to think of the changes and cannot come up with anything of substance and simply do not answer the question for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
    So, how big of a deal are the tweaks in the magnetic suspension system that seem to be the only difference of substance year to year from 2006-2008?

Are there any other substantive differences between model years during that time frame? Did the "hot center console" issue from 2006 get resolved for 07, or 08? Was it resolved by a recall repair of 06's, or do 06's still have the 100+ degree cupholders people were talking about here a few years ago?

These prices on 06's are getting really attractive, and with the recent announcement that the 09 is the last year, the XLR is going to be a super-cheap used car for awhile. Still, I'd wait for an 08 if the differences made it worthwhile. But other than the steering wheel I can't see anything that would matter enough to wait for -- granted, I've not driven both an 06 and 08, which is why I'm asking.

thanks for reading this, and for your comments.
    I looking at 2006s and was wonder if Cadillac address the hot center console and if so what year did they make improvements on it? My guess would be 2007 since that is close to the temperature that could severely hurt skin.

"Did the "hot center console" issue from 2006 get resolved for 07, or 08? Was it resolved by a recall repair of 06's, or do 06's still have the 100+ degree cupholders people were talking about here a few years ago?"

Thanks.

Northwest Auto Parts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Would love to know more about this as well

DTS Diamond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac DTS Lux III 07, DHS 04, Allante 93 06 XLR Platinum

I have a 06 XLR and the center console is warm to the touch but not so hot as to be uncomfortable. My buddy also has an 06 and no problems. Doug-J

Talked with some owners; and to their knowledge the "hot console matter" was not address by GM. I guess, the problem varies from car to car and depends a lot on how aggressively the driver accelerates. The more the driver uses the "manual shifter" and the more the driver steps on the accelerator - the higher it gets. If you drive normally then it is just gets warm at best. So this might be a good inhibitor to drive it like a normal car - you don't want to get your cold drink hot do you? Of course, it is a sport car after all and it takes some of the fun out of the car if you cannot accelerate aggressively however.

If this is wrong; please correct it since it is hearsay!

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

The vette owers have complained about this heat problem for a while... there's a replacement heat shield that can be used:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/T...emp_Tests.html

I'm not sure if it will fit in an XLR - it may... the XLR chassis is around an inch longer than the C6 chassis - but I can't remember where that extra inch was added.

May be worth contacting them to see if it'll fit in the XLR's - my undertanding is that it costs about $240.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.