Just out of curiosity...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR-V Series Forum Discussion, Just out of curiosity... in Cadillac V-Series Forums; A friend and I built out a '68 Charger back in '93, and he's a motorhead to the gills. Me, ...
    vixapphire is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Fleetwood FWD, 2002 DTS (both gone)

Just out of curiosity...

A friend and I built out a '68 Charger back in '93, and he's a motorhead to the gills. Me, I ended up going to law school, realizing I'm more of an "off the shelf" kind of car guy...

He was over the other night, showing me his "new" (to him) Lexus SC 400 coupe; you might remember those 90's ubiquitous luxo coupes, with their vaguely Jaguar E-type characteristics slathered in the Lexus patina. He's become a huge Toyota fan, and told me that those SC's are on the same platform as the Celica Supra supercar from the 90's, and the entire Supra drivetrain, suspension, etc. can all bolt right in in place of the Lexus parts. He's got about $3k in the car (and it's a clean black on black original with about 68k miles), and plans eventually to drop in the Supra's "balls", so he'll have all that power while enjoying the superior grade of luxury and comfort of the Lexus appointments inside the car. What a great idea!

So my question is, since the Corvette and XLR-V are on the same frame, does this mean that it would be possible to relatively straightforwardly (from a bolting in perspective, I understand the computer programming would probably be prohibitive - but maybe not) drop one of the insane hyper-vette supercharged engines into an XLR (provided you cut a hole in the hood or something)?

Seems like a great reason to buy and hold a V if this is true or possible. Drive the Northstar into the ground, then replace with a crated ZR1 engine, anyone?

It sounds crazy, but the question is whether the parts would bolt in similarly.

Would love to hear the thoughts of you GM/Corvette/performance/V car guys!

Happy hols,

vic

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cliff8928 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V - XLR

Re: Just out of curiosity...

Theoretically, yes. I used a couple 'vette parts on the XLR. (some exhaust parts and wheels). You probably wouldn't even need the hole in the hood, the NorthStar is taller than a small-block if i remember right. So as long as you had the hood with the cowl on it (like all "V" models and all 2009+?) there probably wouldn't be any clearance issues with the LS9.

vixapphire is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Fleetwood FWD, 2002 DTS (both gone)

Re: Just out of curiosity...

That would/(will?) be one helluva built project to own!

As my friend and I were standing in the garage the other night, still buzzed from seeing Ratt at the House of Blues, and he was telling me about his Lexus/Supra hybridizing plan, I suddenly remembered the XLR/vette connection and had to ask over here...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.