Cadillac Owners Forum banner
13K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  Dr. Design 
#1 ·
So i was doing some research because im planning on giving up my XLR next year for the a 2009 V series and i came a across a site were they mention it will be the quickest GM built vehicle out there. Considering they are releasing the CTS-V next year with that crazy ass beefed up engine it would seem logical they would do the same to the XLR. I really hope they do something great for the 2009 models cause i would hate to wait an extra year. So im just wondering if anyone else has heard or read anything that i might have missed, even some opinions would be great -thanks

heres the site about the 09 V - http://forums.roadandtrack.com/cars/board/message?board.id=61&thread.id=8038

#2 ·
I hope they upgrade the HP of the new XLR V because they need to but... The new CTS V is not getting the 4.4 Northstar. It is either going to have the 6.2 liter S/C LSA engine putting around 550 to 575 hp or in just might get the 6.2 liter S/C LS9 engine that is going in the new ZR1 corvette and will be around 600HP.:D I am hoping for the LS9...:yup:

#7 ·
XLR is not being dropped.
They are giving it a facelift for '09 but some features will not change.
I talked to the Brand Quality Manager and he was limited in what he could tell me.
I didn't ask any V specific questions.
If I hear anything else I'll let you guys know.

#10 ·
He didn't get specific with me, I suspect the primary difference will be in the nose, my guess is they will bring it closer to what CTS and STS currently are, but I haven't seen photos or anything.

#18 ·
I agree with these comments. I just picked up a 08 XLR the other day and had a friend at GM look into the upcoming projects. He could not find a major project for the XLR in the very near future (does not mean that there isn't a secret program). I'm sure they are about to do an updated look of the same platform for 09 bringing the current car more into the look of the CTS family. Purely evolutionary. I believe we will not see an updated car until perhaps '11. The Bowling Green plant will be busy filling the pipeline with new Vettes.

Mark

#11 ·
Hmmmm.... interesting post. I would have to question some of the content of this article. Obviously Cadillac is not going to us at 4.4 N* in the CTS-V. As for extracting more power out of the STS-V and XLR-V, we have already proved that you can easily unlock HP on the SC 4.4 Northstar engine. In addition that the post if relatively dated 08/06. A lot has changed since then..

We do know Caddy is looking for some type of refreshening for the XLR application. It will most likely get a small face lift and maybe a slight bump in power before it exits. The XLR will not be dropped anytime soon. It is a low volume vehicle and Cadillac understands that. It will be very interesting to see what happens with the XLR-V in the next few years...It might make sense to drop the new ZR1 engine in the XLR-V before the new body change...

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

#13 ·
#17 ·
Hmmm, going to have to put that one in the "believe it when I see it category". That information doesn’t seem consistent with the inside information we have been getting in regards to that application. At least not for the "facelift" XLR. The complete replacement seems more plausible....
Good find!!!

Thanks,

#20 ·
The 2009 XLRs are getting a minor facelift, and that's it. Expect to see the new "honeycomb" grill on the front to match the '09 CTS-V, as well as the powerdome hood on the Non-V XLRs.

They're also eliminating the "base" model next year, and instead all XLRs will have the "Platinum" package, which includes chrome grill, optional thin spoke wheels, Alcantara headliner and sunshades and nicer wood trim (it's about time, too- all XLRs should have had this stuff since day one).

#21 ·
They (Cadillac) should really consider increasing the HP on these cars before they move to the new model. 443 HP was pretty cool when they came out and they modify really well. You can blink an eye and very easily have the 09 XLRV at 500HP! The other updates are good though, and I am sure they dont want to drastically increase the cost of the vehicle.

Just a few thoughts...
Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

#26 ·
Hmmm, looks like it might be similar to the Jag coupe in regards to those side vents..

Should be a nice visual upgrade for the XLR application.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac
Sorry but those side vents look like they just are slapping them on there. I don't care for them on the Jag either. The cars would look much cleaner without them. They remind me of those stupid, fake "vents" that a Mustang has right behind the door. Do what you want to the nose and tail end but why break up a nice smooth flowing design with a big vent?

#28 ·
The vents actually look pretty nice unmasked. The powertrain is unchanged for '09- still 443hp.

As far as the other cosmetic changes, there's no more "Supercharged" emblem on the door (just a V), the new rear and front fascias look really nice, and the interior gets a few subtle enhancements- Corvette style font on the gauges to replace the BVLGARI, new window switches, mirror controls and an Alcantara headliner and sunvisors.

#29 ·
cadillac tony, FTW!

#31 ·
Some of the things that make it different are the following:
Exhaust Manifolds are much different. The XLR-V's exhaust manifold has a wicked kink on one of the banks. Very pinched off system!!! The STSV for the most part is pretty straight forward with its exhaust manifolds. The XLRV also uses a slightly different tune. You can very easily pick up that 26 HP through a tune. Also the air intake system is different. XLRV uses twin filter design located on the front of the car and the STSV uses a single filter. Those are just some of differences to why one makes more power than the other.

Just FYI - From a tuning standpoint we can actually make more usable HP & TQ with the XLR-V application!

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

#32 ·
Ok, just got a confirmation from the dealership in AZ. They already had their 2009 online maintenance book for all vehicles. Definitely showing the minor exterior upgrades, but the interior is identical except for Bluetooth being added. NO MENTION of engine modifications or suspension or other performance upgrades. Only notable change was what is already known exterior-wise, and Bluetooth….

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.