Bigger Tires For The Xlr
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Bigger Tires For The Xlr in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Am I alone thinking the tires on the XLR are too skimpy for the car? I am thinking about installing ...
    acfromla is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Bigger Tires For The Xlr

Am I alone thinking the tires on the XLR are too skimpy for the car?
    I am thinking about installing 255VR-40 on the existing wheels. Does anyone think this would be a problem with clearances and accuracy of the speedo.
    I also would not be opposed to changing the wheel size to 19".
    Just would like to know what might be a perfect after market tire/wheel combination to give it a better footprint or beefier looking stance. Still love the car and no problems after 12K miles.
    A wonderful machine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

harryctsv is offline Banned

Re: Bigger Tires For The Xlr

Quote Originally Posted by acfromla
    Am I alone thinking the tires on the XLR are too skimpy for the car?
    I am thinking about installing 255VR-40 on the existing wheels. Does anyone think this would be a problem with clearances and accuracy of the speedo.
    I also would not be opposed to changing the wheel size to 19".
    Just would like to know what might be a perfect after market tire/wheel combination to give it a better footprint or beefier looking stance. Still love the car and no problems after 12K miles.
    A wonderful machine.
    Hi acfromla,
    if you want to use your stock rims you have to get 255/45-18 tires and no speedo error will be there.
    I`ve just put the orinal V rims on mine with 235/45-19 on front and 255/40-19 on rear - no speedo error, better handling and smoother ride because I use the non-run-flat Pirelli`s.
    Harry

RedGalant2k1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): N/A

why not just run what the corvette does?

245/40-18s front.
    285/35-19s rear.

That would even let you preserve using runflat tires.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    why not just run what the corvette does?

245/40-18s front.
    285/35-19s rear.

That would even let you preserve using runflat tires.
    Hi RedGalant, I´m sure the front`s would fit but not the back ones!
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by harryctsv
    Hi RedGalant, I´m sure the front`s would fit but not the back ones!
    Hans
    The XLR-V runs a 255/40-19 in the rear. The XLR as I'm sure you know rides on the corvette platform and physically the main underpinnings are the same. I wouldn't see why 285/35-19s couldn't fit in the rear.

1_XLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    The XLR-V runs a 255/40-19 in the rear. The XLR as I'm sure you know rides on the corvette platform and physically the main underpinnings are the same. I wouldn't see why 285/35-19s couldn't fit in the rear.
    the wider tires will not fit the rear due to the oversized trunk limiting the inside clearance. the trunk being larger to accomodate the folding top.
    275 was the max I could get under my XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by 1_XLR
    the wider tires will not fit the rear due to the oversized trunk limiting the inside clearance. the trunk being larger to accomodate the folding top.
    275 was the max I could get under my XLR.
    I am curious to know what type of tire/wheel combination you were able to get for your XLR.
    I went shopping for wheels yesterday and wasn't very successful. Seems the XLR has a 50-55mm offset.
    I would appreciate any assistance..Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harryctsv
    Hi acfromla,
    if you want to use your stock rims you have to get 255/45-18 tires and no speedo error will be there.
    I`ve just put the orinal V rims on mine with 235/45-19 on front and 255/40-19 on rear - no speedo error, better handling and smoother ride because I use the non-run-flat Pirelli`s.
    Harry
    Harry,
    Where did you find XLR-V wheels for your car? I am having trouble finding aftermarket 19" wheel for my car. Seems the XLR has an uncommon offset.
    Appreciate any help...
    Anthony

Harry,
    Where did you find XLR-V wheels for your car? I am having trouble finding aftermarket 19" wheel for my car. Seems the XLR has an uncommon offset.
    Appreciate any help...
    Anthony
    Anthony, the stock XLR wheel and the XLR V wheel have both 61mm. I got my wheels from Bob (standby) on xlrforum.com because he put other wheels on his V.

BTW Bob is from Aliso Viejo and I´ll be there on June 7th for the XLR-Rondezvous in ABQ/NM. We go there in his new Veeeeeeeeeeee

Harry

Harry,
    Appreciate any help...
    Anthony
    MHT makes wheels that fit.

MKW also makes wheels that fit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.