Rear end noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Rear end noise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have had my XLR for one year, just turning 6000 miles and only two problems At 20 to 40 ...
    thomasrtabor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 XLR

Rear end noise

I have had my XLR for one year, just turning 6000 miles and only two problems At 20 to 40 mph there is a rubbing or viabration sound when accelerating lightly which goes away when power not applied. I thought it was transmission but turned out to be the differential which dealer replaced but did not completely eliminate the annoying sound. I have done figure eights at slow speed in parking lot and that has helped some. Don't like the sound but guess I have to live with it. Posted this problem here a few months ago but no one replied regarding it. There must be someone out there who has this noise besides me.
    Only other problem has been frequent "top not secure" messages and finally the trunk lid would not close. Dealer said it was caused by a loose or frayed wire and has been OK now for several weeks. In spite of these two things I really like the car. I am an old guy and have owned about 20 Cadillacs and a couple of Vettes but never have had a sound like this .

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: Any big problems with the XLR

Have them drain and fill the diff with GM synthetic differential fluid. Have them add something called "positraction additive part #1052358"

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

Re: Rear end noise

Mine started to make some weird noises too... not sure if its the diff or tranny or what... going to have to get it looked at.

For deadringer You are the only person who apparently has had this noise. Previous post suggested the draining of the tran and filling with additive product. I had done that also but noise persists. Hard to describe a noise sounds like dragging something under the car and only at 20 to 40mph. Have been told it could be a tire noise but it can't be because if I take foot off the accelerator the noise is gone while coasting. Also noise is gone while accelerating and only present when holding a steady speed If you get any info from your dealer please let me know. I have a riend in high places at GM and he had the head XLR engineer check it out but couldn't get one of factory cars to duplicate the sound

Noise occurs:
    At lower speeds.
    At steady speeds.

Noise disappears:
    While coasting.
    Under acceleration.

Does it seem more prominent from the left or right? Is it a high or low pitched noise?

2xlrs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Had this problem twice.
    1st time they drained and fill the diff with synthetic oil and an additive
    problem went away for 6 weeks

2nd time they drained and filled with reg oil and the additive and problem has been gone for 3 months
    bob

prosin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Allante

My mother has a Nieman Marcus one- they did a differential replacement too- it would sound the worst while backing up and turning. Did they go to a heavier lubricant in the diff? It took many visits before and a phone call from me for them to REALLY address the issue. Her biggest problem now is a mysterious stabili-trak error message.

While my car was in to repair top malfunction they solved the rear end noise. Told me there is a bulletin on the problem and a recall. All I could find out was thar software had to be repaced. Noise seems to be gone though maybe a slight sound still there

Software?? How odd.

I mentioned in my last post that there was a bulletin on the XLR and they replaced software. that had nothing to do with this noise but something with a computer to correct some other possible problem. My $78,000 car still sounds like I am dragging something underneath and I give up. One solution is turn the volume up on the radio and the other is to put the top down so the noise is not so loud.
    Still like the car though and have decided to accept the fact that no one has a solution and just enjoy the good looks and power

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The drain and replace fluid deal is for a noise when turning.
    A noise driving straight from 20-40 is going to be something different.
    Would need as much info on the concern as possible to even begin to help.
    A road test would be best.
    Nothing comes to mind right now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.