Check engine light steady
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Check engine light steady in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Help! I just recently purchase a 2004 XLR company car with 3100 miles. 2 weeks ago. the car runs great. ...
    charoman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Check engine light steady

Help! I just recently purchase a 2004 XLR company car with 3100 miles. 2 weeks ago. the car runs great. I had corsa pipes installed at the caddy dealer, and that night the check engine light came on. i returned to the dealer next morning and the replaced and ox sensor. also i noticed exhust rattling, and the elimanated that. 1 day later the check engine light came on again. I am not use to this many problems out the door with a car. This is my first Cadillac. Is there a way to turn this light off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

harryctsv is offline Banned

Re: Check engine light steady

Quote Originally Posted by charoman
    Help! I just recently purchase a 2004 XLR company car with 3100 miles. 2 weeks ago. the car runs great. I had corsa pipes installed at the caddy dealer, and that night the check engine light came on. i returned to the dealer next morning and the replaced and ox sensor. also i noticed exhust rattling, and the elimanated that. 1 day later the check engine light came on again. I am not use to this many problems out the door with a car. This is my first Cadillac. Is there a way to turn this light off?
    Hi charoman, I´ve had this on mine two times (I´m a German in Germany)but engine was running great. They even could told me that this light came on by 263 kph (163 mph) by their diagn. check but nothing wrong was found. On second time they found nothing wrong but re-programmed the system and since then NO MORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!!
    I also have the Corsa exhaust on mine - wonderfull sound, right!
    Harry

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Do you have any documentation as to what the code was?
    There are some codes that can set for O2 sensors that can mislead you.
    You can only clear the codes with a scan tool.

Thanks for the feedback. the dlr told me he resplaced a faulty oxy sensor.
    I didn't have a problem until the corsa was installed. btw where can I get the scan tool, what will it cost? The pipes make me want to drive all the time....

The factory scan tool costs almost $3,000 and you get it from Kent Moore.
    Aftermarket tools are out there but your car has GMLAN on it and I am not sure if anyone is marketing a tool for that application.
    They are required by law to make the ECM accessible by a class 2 device so you can read codes probably with an aftermarket scanner but be sure it will work on your car before you buy one.

I have had 2 or 3 XLRs that set O2 sensor codes because of another problem on the car. Replacing O2 sensors for O2 sensor codes is generally a good solution but not a guarantee.
    I am still curious as to the specific code if you have a way to find out what it was.

I will go back to the dealer tomorrow morning to have it checked, i will find out what codes were triggered. Did I mentioned that I had corsa pipes installed. could the exhust system cause some of these problems? Nice to get a reply from a Cadillac Tech....so far the car has been super fun to drive and I gets many looks. My M5 seems to be crying because it now sits in the driveway with no one to drive it. BTW are the code readers worth having for personal use?

Sorry I never acknowledged the installation of your Corsa, yes I did notice that you said it.
    To be honest it really shouldn't affect the sensor readings unless there is an exhaust leak or unless you installed a modified Catalyst.

Ideally you won't have problems with your CEL coming on very often so I doubt it would be a worthwhile investment to buy a code reader, particularly on XLR.

This system uses the new O2 sensors in front of the Cats, or what we call a "lambda" sensor or a "wide band" sensor. They work a bit differently than the old style sensors, I think the post cats are still conventional sensors.
    I recently had problems with two of these with O2 sensor codes is why I ask you for the specific code.

Cadillac has started using the post cat sensors to aid in monitoring fuel trim. This is a new thing and they haven't even told us about it yet. In fact this is why I had so much trouble with the last one I did, the pre cat sensor was actually causing the post cat sensor to set a code and it took some serious research to figure it out.

I don't get a chance to get too crazy in them, I only drive them a few miles at most and it's in DC beltway traffic. I am lucky to make it up to the speed limit and even if I wanted to get on it, I don't do that kind of thing with my customers cars unless their problem specifically warrants hard driving.

Also as I said, I am not sure most of the code readers would help much on this car. It actually has 3 communication busses on it. The class 2 bus is the OBD-II compliant backup but now all the real stuff happens on the high speed GMLAN bus and some body functions are handled on the low speed GMLAN bus.

If you ever want to give away one of those Ducatis let me know
    I have worked on C5 (corvette) since '98 but recently switched to Cadillac. I am currently the only tech allowed to work on XLR in my shop due to certification restrictions and the fact that most other guys really don't know much about them anyway. I actually like working on them, but they don't break too much that I need to work on them all the time.
    I probably have about 15 or 20 regular customers who bring them in.
    When I worked on Vettes I had guys coming from a long ways away to let me work on their cars.
    Now I have CTS-V customers coming about 300 miles sometimes (from this forum) and they seem to be happy with my work.
    Oops... I am rambling again.
    Anyway, let me know what the codes are/were.

Hey man, the light went out the night before I was to return to the dealer. go figure. My son just drives the new C6 Z51 with some wicked exhust from the dealer, or GM.... be nice to have a super mechanic in my local. I can't stop driving the XLR, I love the sound of the corsa pipes. Thanks again for the follow up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.