Brake and loose RPM
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Brake and loose RPM in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My dealer told me that it is standard for the XLR's RPM to go to idel whenever steping on the ...
    GaryXLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member

UnhappyBrake and loose RPM

My dealer told me that it is standard for the XLR's RPM to go to idel whenever steping on the brake. I find that I have to completely rely on my brakes even traveling down the mountain with no engine compression to assist. Is this true?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

PostRe: Brake and loose RPM

Quote Originally Posted by GaryXLR
    My dealer told me that it is standard for the XLR's RPM to go to idel whenever steping on the brake. I find that I have to completely rely on my brakes even traveling down the mountain with no engine compression to assist. Is this true?
    Not mine. The car has a lot of engine braking when I'm going down hill, or when I'm comming to stop. If you're going down a mountain move the shifter into manual mode and put it in 3rd gear, if things are working correctly the torque converter will stay engaged.

harryctsv is offline Banned

Re: Brake and loose RPM

Quote Originally Posted by Vrocks
    Not mine. The car has a lot of engine braking when I'm going down hill, or when I'm comming to stop. If you're going down a mountain move the shifter into manual mode and put it in 3rd gear, if things are working correctly the torque converter will stay engaged.
    Hi Vrocks,
    yours too, I did the same as you, never recognized it when I had my stock exhaust on but since I have my Corsa on you feel it.

Do one easy thing, drive about 60 or 70 miles than just touch the brake a little and you see your tachometer goes from about 1500 - 1600 rpm down to about 1000 - 1100.
    Now you know I used to drive my car fast on the Autobahn and when you have to brake with 240 kph (150 mph) or 260 kph (162 mph) you even get some motor-braking than. This car got a realy smart transmission!

Have a nice weekend
    Harry

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

GaryXLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I took a test drive with my service manager and showed him how my RPM drops off in 5th and 4th gears. He showed me what to do and now I use the manual shift for stopping fast using the compression of the engine. 3rd and 4th gears can hold onto the engine compression with breaking by pulling first down a gear and then breaking (not the opposite). I have a very deep sounding after market exhaust system and when I touch the break and then loose my RPM it sounds terrible.

Blackhawk131 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Many transmissions don't offer engine braking in overdrive range.
    Usually shifting to a manual gear range will give you engine braking though.
    It's all up to the engineers as to which manual ranges have engine braking.
    The rule I use is... if it's not enough, go down another gear.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.