Battery going dead within 24 hours after a full charge
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Battery going dead within 24 hours after a full charge in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I bought a used 04 Cadillac XLR, and the guy I bought it from told me the only problem with ...
    04xlral is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cadillac xlr

Battery going dead within 24 hours after a full charge

I bought a used 04 Cadillac XLR, and the guy I bought it from told me the only problem with the car was that he had to change the battery 3 time's since he bought the car. Car has @41K miles on her. I drove it for @ 2 months and now I'm having battery problems also. He bought a delco battery for it. I charged the battery yesterday for 5 hours and when I wanted to go out last night it was dead. I'm thinking of buying a another battery and then having someone checking the car out for a drain, any input would help. Thanks AL

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Re: Battery going dead within 24 hours after a full charge

Once a battery is damaged, charging it is hit or miss. Your battery probably needs replacement. Is it the proper battery for the car? You may have a charging system issue which is slowly sulphating the plates over time.

The XLR always draws current- even when parked. Let it sit for three weeks, and the battery will likely be drained. If you have a higher than normal parasitic drain, obviously, you're going to ruin more batteries. Getting that checked out is the right thing to do. Are there any aftermarket electrical mods to the vehicle?

You can measure current draw on the battery and begin removing fuses to see what circuit(s) is acting as a load.

When parked for an extended period of time, (two weeks or more) it is prudent to use a Battery Tender or Battery Minder. These are microprocessor-based chargers that pulse the battery to minimize sulphation. They're not expensive and work great. I parked my car for sixteen months and it fired up without a problem.

CC

Johnxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke
    Once a battery is damaged, charging it is hit or miss. Your battery probably needs replacement. Is it the proper battery for the car? You may have a charging system issue which is slowly sulphating the plates over time. The XLR always draws current- even when parked. Let it sit for three weeks, and the battery will likely be drained. If you have a higher than normal parasitic drain, obviously, you're going to ruin more batteries. Getting that checked out is the right thing to do. Are there any aftermarket electrical mods to the vehicle? You can measure current draw on the battery and begin removing fuses to see what circuit(s) is acting as a load. When parked for an extended period of time, (two weeks or more) it is prudent to use a Battery Tender or Battery Minder. These are microprocessor-based chargers that pulse the battery to minimize sulphation. They're not expensive and work great. I parked my car for sixteen months and it fired up without a problem. CC
    Agree here...so when you do buy that battery, buy that tender ( usually 30-50 dollars). Even a high- end battery will suffer a short life with all of those discharges and charges...over in the corvette forum, this is a known fix.

Hope that is all it is...my issues were similar before changing out a 3- year- old battery

NicoleXLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 XLR, 65 Sixty Special Sedan

Re: Battery going dead within 24 hours after a full charge

My 04 XLR would run down it's battery after sitting idle for 5-10 days, depending on the age of the battery, since it was new! I had the battery replaced 4 times under warranty then started carrying an extra battery and replacing it once per year at least, but still not letting it sit for more than a week. I always used the recommended battery. I tried dry cell, I had all the grounding SB's done, etc. Last time I just put in a bigger size battery that I had laying around and it's been great ever since. It's 1000 CA, 875 CCA and 155 RC. Hope it helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.