XLR DVD Mod, Play While Driving?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, XLR DVD Mod, Play While Driving? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My dad recently got his XLR, he already has a major bother. It seems you can only watch DVD's while ...
    dnehthend is offline Cadillac Owners Member

XLR DVD Mod, Play While Driving?

My dad recently got his XLR, he already has a major bother. It seems you can only watch DVD's while the car is in park (so the driver isn't distracted from driving), are there any known software mods available to disable this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RES
    RES is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: XLR DVD Mod, Play While Driving?

Quote Originally Posted by dnehthend
    My dad recently got his XLR, he already has a major bother. It seems you can only watch DVD's while the car is in park (so the driver isn't distracted from driving), are there any known software mods available to disable this?

NO..and i wouldn't suggest you do , its bad enough we have people behind the wheel engaged in what there doing except driving (not that I'm saying your dad is one of them) but not a good or safe idea either way.

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Yeah weve had the same problem with the cts.......no one has been able to do this yet.....its especially not worth it too screw up a 2-3k machine

rickko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 STS, '06 DTS Performance, '04 Vette

My brother had the same problem on his 2003 Rolls Royce. He took it into an aftermarket shop who sub-contracted out to a high-end stereo place that knew DVD's inside and out and had them fix it so it'll play in the front and/or on both screens in the back under his control. He also had them install a backup camera that automatically overides the screen display when he puts the transmission in reverse. All this is wired to the same screen the GPS uses.

Now he can watch DVD's, talk on the cell phone, eat and drink a sparkling beverage from the mini refer builtin between the two rear seats while he drives!

The rear seats are nice too. They are electric adjustable so you can really get comfortable watching DVDs in the back while wearing the wireless headsets.

The car has so many gadgets that now he wants to hire a driver so he can sit in back and enjoy them.

Bottomline: Take your car to a real high stereo place in your area. They can make your DVD play anytime you want it too. The place that did his work was in Rancho Mirage CA, near Palm Desert.

..rickko..

It's not so he can watch, it's for the passenger. It's something he would like to have, but probably not something he would want to spent a lot of money on.

fast66 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

Ricko! Does your bro live in apartments in la jolla? i would have sworn i see this one black rr everyday in my underground parking. he has tv's in all the seats but really nice rims to go along with it. If not take care

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by rickko
    My brother had the same problem on his 2003 Rolls Royce. He took it into an aftermarket shop who sub-contracted out to a high-end stereo place that knew DVD's inside and out and had them fix it so it'll play in the front and/or on both screens in the back under his control. He also had them install a backup camera that automatically overides the screen display when he puts the transmission in reverse. All this is wired to the same screen the GPS uses.

Now he can watch DVD's, talk on the cell phone, eat and drink a sparkling beverage from the mini refer builtin between the two rear seats while he drives!

The rear seats are nice too. They are electric adjustable so you can really get comfortable watching DVDs in the back while wearing the wireless headsets.

The car has so many gadgets that now he wants to hire a driver so he can sit in back and enjoy them.

Bottomline: Take your car to a real high stereo place in your area. They can make your DVD play anytime you want it too. The place that did his work was in Rancho Mirage CA, near Palm Desert.

..rickko..
    you see there is a reason his thing worked...Bentley and Rolls Royce do not use thier own stero equipment. If you look at cadillac, they have thier own bose and the system has theftlock and it basicalyl integrated into the entire car. Bantley and RR typically use alpine components and navigation systems that you can typically find in the aftermarket...this is why it is so easy to just throw in some screens and whatever else. None of the sound system or nav is connected to the car itself. Its all aftermarket stuff anyways.

rickko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 STS, '06 DTS Performance, '04 Vette

Caddy Man,

You are absolutely correct!

..rickko..

AirJigga25 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): just one

Quote Originally Posted by dnehthend
    get some pics of your dad's XLR and post them.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

www.nav-tv.com or www.navtv.com supposedly has a slew of mods for this.

Here are some pics (my grandmas escalade is in the background).

I couldn't find anything on the sites listed above.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

must be nice to be rich, i can't even fix my own beat up deville

2004_SRX_ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Gorgeous ride... About the DVD thing, it was a slight bother for me in my SRX. I'm sure it can be done, but is it really worth it? I think not.

Dubya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

ive heard of other people with setups like this fixing it (cars like the G35)

what they did is splice into the video monitor wires with a kind of RF modulator, plug in a different dvd player to that, when you pop a dvd into your new dvd, it will overide the navi. seems this would be MUCH easier than altering your oem to play dvd's, plus easily removeable for selling/warranty claims. maybe someone can better explain what im trying to say, but it works

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

damn does it really bother you guys that much? i think it would be nice just having a dvd player stock in the car. i mean are u really gonna watch movies while driving? i hope not.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.