Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Changing the coolant in the XLR in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Can someone please explain how to change the coolant in my 04 XLR. I opened the reservoir cap , opened ...
- 08-19-14 03:01 PM #1Cadillac Owners Member
- Automobile(s): 04 cadillac xlr
- Join Date
- Aug 2014
Changing the coolant in the XLR
Can someone please explain how to change the coolant in my 04 XLR. I opened the reservoir cap , opened the drain plug and emptied the old coolant, put the drain plug back in, started the motor and added a bottle of flush and tried to put some water in with the flush thru the reservoir and it wouldn't take hardly any water, motor temp got to be around 200 -210 so I ran it for @25 minutes and still wouldn't allow any water to be added. So I shut off the motor and drained the flush and now waiting for an answer how the coolant should be added. Thanks AL
- 08-19-14 05:31 PM #2
Re: Changing the coolant in the XLR
To Drain and Fill the Cooling System:
1. Drain the Cooling system.
2. Inspect the Drain Cock O-Ring and replace as necessary.
3. Replace the Drain Cock and torque to 18 IN/LB.
4. Slowly fill the surge tank with a 50/50 mix of Dex-Cool and clean water until the coolant level reaches the base of the Surge Tank fill neck.
5. Start the engine and allow it to idle for four minutes.
6. Slowly add the coolant mixture until the level stabilizes at the base of the Surge Tank fill neck.
7. Run the engine between 2000-2500 RPM for two minutes.
8. Allow the engine to idle and add approximately 1.1 quarts of coolant mixture to the Surge Tank.
9. Install the coolant pressure cap.
10. Turn the engine off.
11. Allow the engine to cool.
12. Top off the coolant as necessary.
13. Rinse away any coolant mixture from the engine and engine compartment.
14. Inspect the coolant system for leaks.
Flushing the System:
1. DO NOT USE A CHEMICAL FLUSH.
2. Drain the cooling system.
3. Remove the Surge Tank.
4. Clean and flush the Surge Tank with clean water.
5. Install the Surge Tank.
6. Follow the Drain and Fill procedure using only clean water.
7. Run the engine for twenty minutes.
8. Stop the engine.
9. Drain the cooling system. Inspect the water color. It should be nearly colorless. If not, repeat step 6-9.
10. When the water is nearly clear, fill the cooling system using the Drain and Fill procedure above.