Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: Tech-2 Scanner Price Disparity

XLRated is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR 2005

Question Tech-2 Scanner Price Disparity

Good Folks, Periodically I check the prices on ebay for Tech-2 scanners. I look for the full sets either new or very lightly used and they range $1600 to $2400. Just checked Amazon and there were several for under $400. I looked at the pictures and specs as carefully as I knew how and could not find any appreciable differences. The ones on Amazon looked like they would do the trick for my XLR. Am I missing something here, "to good to be true" and all that?

Thanks

XLRated

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Re: Tech-2 Scanner Price Disparity

Prices for Tech 2s are all over the place now that they've been replaced by a PC-based system at dealerships. For the XLR, they're more than adequate if the software on the 32M card isn't too old. Chinese clones abound, but I haven't heard any complaints for those who've bought them. You'll need a set of shop manuals to make sense of the diagnostic results. Make sure you get a CANdi module or it won't communicate properly. If you're not in the business of repairing cars and yours is intended to keep your car in tip-top shape, a lower-priced unit should be more than sufficient.

CCC

XLRated is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR 2005

CCC, Thank you, that is just what I wanted to know. I do have the "YX" manual pair (all 12 lbs. of them) and I only want the scanner for my car so it's good to know I do not have drop $2K.

Thanks again.

XLRated

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS - 67,500 miles, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Some of the Chinese ($400) clones are good, some are not. Heard various good/bad stories (I work part-time parts counter at a local WesternAuto) about them from different guys in the local car club. I guess it's a crap shoot ............

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville, 2009 XLR-V 1 of 6 Crystal Red

I bought one from china and it works just fine. I doubt you could tell the difference. All of the stickers have made in usa printed on them. Does that tell you anything?