2004 XLR leaking trunk
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, 2004 XLR leaking trunk in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My worst nightmare seems to have come true. My hard top wont retract and my trunk will not open/close unless ...
    sue2u67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy 2004 XLR leaking trunk

My worst nightmare seems to have come true. My hard top wont retract and my trunk will not open/close unless done manually. I found about 4" of water in the left side trunk electrical compartment. How many components did this destroy?? And how costly will be to replace.
    I'm so sad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jginsberg145@me.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS
    This happened to my mom. A mouse chewed up a line and the fluid leaked out. It was about 2k but insurance covered it

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Re: 2004 XLR leaking trunk

This is probably the easiest common XLR problem to avoid, and one of the more expensive repairs. Yours is not the first post of this issue in the XLR section, and it unfortunately won't be the last.

Your problem was most likely caused by a clogged drain line at the bottom of the compartment that houses the Folding Top Control (FTC) module and Suspension Control module. At least one (or both) are fried.

If the hydraulic pump is toast, you're looking at around $2500, (parts and labor) the Suspension module is $700, and the FTC module is a little over $500. Labor will be a few hundred to install the modules and calibrate the top. So the price could be between $1000 and $4000. Suspension modules were in short supply last year, and if more haven't been added to the supply system, you could be waiting months for one. --That just goes to show you how many have needed replacement.

Every XLR owner should inspect the drain line at least once a year. You should be able to see light through it from the open trunk with the left side tub cover removed.

For any XLR owners that don't know the status of their drains: This is a five minute check and can save big bucks! If the end of the plastic drain tube is pinched shut, cut the tip off.

There's also an approved procedure the dealer can perform to better seal the trunk area with some little sticky gasket strips that are applied near the front of the rear deck lid.

Sorry to hear about your car.

CC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.