cadillac told me to jump off a cliff
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, cadillac told me to jump off a cliff in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; We purchased our XLR in July, and have had continued problems w/the radio and bad reception. We have brought it ...
    dman8011 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

cadillac told me to jump off a cliff

We purchased our XLR in July, and have had continued problems w/the radio and bad reception. We have brought it in 3X for service and that have been unable to fix the problem. They wanted us to drive around followed by another XLR and let them know in what areas we are experiencing the problem. WE have not done this, and don't feel we should have to.

In addition to the radio problem, we discovered after our purchase in just the right light that we had crows feet marks in the paint on the front fenders and the hood.

Initially Cadillac offered to pay for a partial paint job, which we find unacceptable. WE feel the entire car needs to be painted.

After my husband's last conversation with them they told him they were not going to do anything, about the radio or the bad paint. They reccommend that he follow up with the Better Business Bureau.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

93ELDORADOETC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado ETC

Re: cadillac told me to jump off a cliff

What dealer is this? XLR is an expensive machine...

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Actually sounds like something a typical automaker would say.....except for the fact that you're driving a nearly $80k luxury convertible, and one would think they would be willing to submit to your every request, happily. Then again, WHY would they ever want to improve their image....

I would file with BBB, especially since that's what they directed you to do. I've heard of people having success that way in the past, so it's worth a shot. Just terrible you have to even go through the aggravation with such a new, expensive piece.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

I would never let them paint entire car, NEVER. That may be a little unreasonable and why they told you that. Plus, the might make it worse then it is now, thats what the did for me once.

I had a 1987 Chevy truck that I ordered. It came with bad paint (IMO) but the dealer felt there was nothing wrong with it, kept saying it was typical for trucks to have dull paint. But I complained over and over again and they finall agreed to buff the paint BUT the moron they had do it, ruined the paint by cutting thru the color coat into primer. So I argued and argued for them to repaint it. Worst mistake I ever made after letting them buff it out. The body shop did a terrible job, kept the truck for 3 weeks and refused to even look at it when I complained about overspray etc. None of the techs in the shop would even talk to me, teh mgr. would say very little. There were po'd at me for giving them a hard time on the quality of thier work. I was so irate I went and talked with the owner of the business. He talked with his staff to try and solve problem but called me to see if I wanted to have it painted again by a shop of my choice. I said no. I traded the truck away at another dealer. Got another Chevy too.

Moral of story be careful what you ask for.

btw-A lady at work had worse problems with a dealer repaint.

All to many of these dealer body shops are incompetent.

medcave is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm not a paint and body man but it's my understanding that the repaint procedure for the type of paint used now-a-days, basecoat - clearcoat, requires that the clearcoat be sprayed on within 15 minutes of when the basecoat was applied. Therefore cars using this type of paint have to be repainted in sections as it's not possible/practical to paint the whole car in basecoat then apply the clearcoat in the time alloted.

It's never a good idea to repaint a factory paint job, so if the fenders and hood are really bad enough to devalue the car, I would only have those areas repainted. It will match just fine since the car is so new and you'll be lowering the odds of them making a mistake on the rest of the car. Note that crowsfeet are not totally uncommon on fiberglass paint jobs, particularly in black, and Corvette owners often accept them as part of the charm.

Maybe if you'll work with them on this issue they will be more receptive to solving your radio problem. Also, give them more time to resolve the issue with the radio since it takes time for odd problems like yours to be diagnosed and solved at the corporate level. Once that happens they will release a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) to the dealers detailing how to fix the radio. If you would like to have access to the TSBs for your car consider subscribing to alldatadiy.com . It costs $25 for the first year, $15 thereafter, and only $10 for additional cars. Note it takes a couple months for new TSBs to trickle down to the Alldata website.

Please note that TSBs are released to aid dealers in repairing cars. They are not 'secret warranties', though since your problem with the radio is well documented while under warranty, even if it is out of warranty by the time it's fixed it will still be covered.

medcave is offline Cadillac Owners Member

PS Contact GM Customer Service and request that a GM Area Representative inspect your car. He will work as a go-between with you and the dealer and can direct the dealer to resolve the issue appropriately, including a buy-back if it comes down to that. He may even have you take the car to another dealer.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

I am just dying to tell about this comment I made about dealer paint problems.
    btw-A lady at work had worse problems with a dealer repaint.
    This lady's Astro Van had bad peeling paint, so after much trouble with the dealer and Chevy, they finally decided to repaint it for her. After it was finally painted, they had the detail shop clean it up and one of the guys was backing it out. He opened the door to see where he was going and caught the door on a concrete filled steel post set to protect the building from damage. Did a considerable amount of damage to her van and whats more they were never going to tell her anything about it apparently. It so happends that after she had it back for several weeks the salesman spotted her at the store one night and came up to here and appolgized for her problems. He let the cat out of the bag abuot the door damage. She sued them, they would not admit to the damage until she got the lawyer. I don't know what the end result was but I know she was very upset for many months this all dragged out. It was her first new vehicle.

Benjamin Simon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)

Yea, you never want the whole car repainted. I just had my 99 STS painted at a "great" shop and I have notice tiny problems. Unless that paint is needing to be repainted, please don't do it. I will never be as good as the factory.
    Unless you take the car apart and start all over...

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

I wouln't have the car repainted either. You probably won't keep the car very long and in almost all cases it is better to have a factory paint job than a repaint.
    Although some shops are really good.
    I bought the '05 hood for my GTO and had them match the paint from 2 different chips they had.
    We didn't even paint the fenders and you can only tell a slight difference because of the way the paint is laid down.
    Also the body shop paint job has less orange peel than the factory.
    I forgot to add that my car is silver also.

In this pic you can tell that the hood is just a hair darker than the fenders.
    http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1118428058

SoCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dman8011
    In addition to the radio problem, we discovered after our purchase in just the right light that we had crows feet marks in the paint on the front fenders and the hood.
    Your "crows feet marks" might be the result of fixing some initial transport damage after it was received at the dealership. There are some excellent body and paint shops, you just have to learn where they are located. Ask your dealer to pay for the touchup, but at the shop of your choice; you do not need a full paint job as that will entail other issues. What color is your XLR? This matters as well in paint matching, but there are painters that can match better than the factory applied paints, so please do not discount their abilities or your satisfaction with their results (you'll probably be happier with the painter's job, than the factory's).

I do not own a XLR, so I do not know where they have situated the antennas on XLR for FM and AM. Typically the AM is applied as a layer, at the top, on the inside of the front window and the FM in the rear. I do know that applying certain window tint, such as those with "sputtering" (a use of metal particles embedded in the film itself) are not advised in your owners manual as they will degrade reception. Please check your manual for advise on your radio's reception as it states the window tint issue.

At this level of Cadillac model, Cadillac--without question--should be addressing your needs in a fashion that this model merits. In other words, without jerking your chain, but looking to sell you your next Cadillac.

whiteseville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Z71 the paint on your 87 chevy was a very common defect in the paint itself. This was very common and a big problem in the late 80's early 90's. GM tried to use a new water base paint and it sucked. It also made the paint very dull and thin( which would explain the easy break through)Good that you complained though and things were said.

It seems that Cadillac these days is haveing problems with there newer cars. I just was in the sts forum and there is a thread with about 10 STS cars that there back window has shatterd for no reason over the night or when they shut the door. They are being told that they might have to pay for it and they are giveing the people a hard time with free replacement. Not to mention the damage the cars are getting from being towed and while being serviced. One guys STS was hit while in the dealer being serviced and says the frame is bent. What is wrong with Cdaillac these days.

fullserviceman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham

A little off but I am loosing faith in GM fast, I see you folks with $80,000 cars and they wont fix them when it is their fault. I see a ton of n* engine with many problems including my own. We are updating our van fleet with newer gmc trucks buyin them cheap due to bad engines at 75,000 miles, My 02 impala all I can say thank god for extended warranties and the same poor radio reception youre talking about. My family worked for GM in Rochester building carburetors and are long since retired. I hear that GM is screwing with their pensions or trying to. what the hell??? Back to subject, if i bought a car that cost as much as a house and it had problems like paint and radio and more I think I would drive it right through the dealership's front door. Just my 10 cents

whiteseville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Speaking of problems with other cars a friend of the family had bought and 04 impala. They took it back 4 times because the paint kept pealing and checkin off. Im not talking abut big pices but they were little areas all over. Finaly they were just fed up and took the car in as a lemon.
    My stepmoms father bought an 04 avalanche used, the previous owner had cut the bottom of the bumper out by the tow hooks to probly put on a brush guard. The dealer had told him that they would replace the bumper under warenty and was in the agreement of the puchase. Well one year later, after arguing and after he wrote numerous leters to GM he finaly got it changed. What is happening with GM.

Swine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 escalade

No offense, but they offered to repair it and you refused. ("Crow's feet" at "just the right light" whatever that is...)

As far as "poor radio reception" since this is also subjective, a little work may be required on your end. Replacing things that aren't broken doesn't do anything for anyone, and you seem to fit this description. You want the entire car repainted, when touch up will do the job, and you refuse to help track down what may not be a problem at all in the "poor" radio recpetion.
    Telling you that they can't help you doesn't seem odd to me.

SoCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Swine
    Telling you that they can't help you doesn't seem odd to me.
    I believe that Cadillac truly needs to walk a customer through the process of why a touchup is only necessary and to handle the matter of the radio through their Service Department and not with customer participation. I am seeing and reading about a growing trend by some Cadillac dealers where they look at you as if you are ignorant, and you do not understand the process, even though you might be very well informed, and probably substantially better educated. A friend of mine just purchased a Lexus, and he loves how he is treated when he goes to the dealership--with respect. This is first his Lexus, but he is already contemplating a second one for his wife.

P.S. I was just at the paint shop where I go for my work (I am exceedingly picky) and we were discussing car manufacturers paint jobs. They stated that both GM's and Ford's were typically a joke, especially in the truck lines.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.