unbelievable... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, unbelievable... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i just saw one. some old lady got it from her husbend for xmass. black is beautiful on it. she ...
    DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: unbelievable...

i just saw one. some old lady got it from her husbend for xmass. black is beautiful on it. she showed me the push button start and stuff. she was very cool too, and lucky.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I'm still buying lottery tickets.

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante

I've been seeing lots of them on Ebay lately. Even the Neiman Marcus LTD edition for under 85k. My local dealer declined to order any, but said if I was serious he could get me what I wanted and with GM card discounts and incentives. What a dealer! Sexton's in Harriman, TN. I declined and will wait for them to drop in price like I did on my Allante. I did buy an new Chevy Silveradro from them and got what I thought was an excellent deal. From what has been posted here you could buy one on Ebay and have it delivered to your door for much less that working with those money grubbin dealers.

T-Dizzy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade EXT 'V', 2006 CTS Sport

Lightbulb Re: unbelievable...

Hey all,

I happened to be surfing through - I usually stick to the Escalade forums, but have been checking out the XLR myself lately. I would recommend what I think some others have mentioned - find an out-of-state dealer who will ship the car to you if you'd like. That's how I purchased my EXT. I had it shipped from Lund Cadillac in Phoenix, AZ to central Massachusetts.

Granted, point-click-drive for a $70,000+ vehicle had a few snags (my ride was customed by the dealer) but all in all, in the Internet Age, no one has to pay $20,000 over sticker for a car because of a greedy dealer.

(Doesn't hurt that my old man is a 25 year GM plant retiree, and the dealer can't argue with the factory-12% price I'm entitled to - but hey...)
    - Tony

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Nice.
    If I had discounts like that, I'd be looking at an XLR too.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by sdevine1979
    Not only did the woman I spoke to have no idea what she was talking about (said it was based on the CTS platform), but...
    Well...actually...that's not too far off. Certainly put *that* way an XLR buyer would be slightly put off but...

The CTS, XLR, SRX and new C6 Corvette are based on GM's Sigma platform. So the CTS and XLR are both based on the Sigma platform, and the XLR and CTS share more in common than do the CTS and SRX...And since the CTS was the first production car based on the Sigma platform, in a distant way, the XLR was based off of it. In fact, when they first began modeling the XLR, they used a CTS chasis and made modifications...But then ultimately redesigned the XLR with it's own version of the Sigma architecture.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Additionally, I have a free allocation of *one* XLR going into the system next week, $5000 deposit and MSRP sale price (not a penny over) and your name is on it (and you pick colors). Should be beginning-May delivery. If interested, please email me (ron@ctsowners.com) or Shannon Brown (hummercad@hotmail.com) with your phone number and we will call you.

me3head is offline Cadillac Owners Member

C6 and XLR are NOT Sigma vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by me3head
    C6 and XLR are NOT Sigma vehicles.
    C6 and XLR are Sigma vehicles. While much of the press indicates that Cadillac decided to use the C6 Convertibles designed platform, and typically indicate that this is separate from the Sigma platform (through misintrepretations of interviews with David Leone), the original Sigma platform, designated as "GM's Performance Car Architecture" was the original platform that the C6 Convertible was based on. This was back in 1999. The Sigma platform was specifically designed as the new convertible-designed platform for the new Corvette. But it was not called the Sigma platform at that time. There is alot of policy and red-tape that goes into why GM won't simply come out and say both are Sigma Platforms, but when asked if they are David Leone simply says "not exactly" (hint- it has to do with Chevy not wanting comparisons)...

The Sigma Platform IS GM's next-generation performance car platform, but it's been mostly attributed to the CTS since that was the first production car to claim it's use. However, the C6, XLR, SRX, '05 STS, CTS, '06 DTS, etc, all are derivitives in some form, trust me. In fact, all GM training materials (in defense of that salesperson), still indicate and claim outright Sigma architecture - in fact I can't find one of these training booklets my salespeople get that doesn't say it...

My point was that there is alot more in common than is given by the "name" of the architecture used...

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    C6 and XLR are Sigma vehicles. While much of the press indicates that Cadillac decided to use the C6 Convertibles designed platform, and typically indicate that this is separate from the Sigma platform (through misintrepretations of interviews with David Leone), the original Sigma platform, designated as "GM's Performance Car Architecture" was the original platform that the C6 Convertible was based on. This was back in 1999. The Sigma platform was specifically designed as the new convertible-designed platform for the new Corvette. But it was not called the Sigma platform at that time. There is alot of policy and red-tape that goes into why GM won't simply come out and say both are Sigma Platforms, but when asked if they are David Leone simply says "not exactly" (hint- it has to do with Chevy not wanting comparisons)...

The Sigma Platform IS GM's next-generation performance car platform, but it's been mostly attributed to the CTS since that was the first production car to claim it's use. However, the C6, XLR, SRX, '05 STS, CTS, '06 DTS, etc, all are derivitives in some form, trust me. In fact, all GM training materials (in defense of that salesperson), still indicate and claim outright Sigma architecture - in fact I can't find one of these training booklets my salespeople get that doesn't say it...

My point was that there is alot more in common than is given by the "name" of the architecture used...
    A rose by any other name...

[I'll take Badge Engineering for 1000 Alex!

"The Cadillac XLR, a sporty roadster, was considered a relative bargain until it was discovered it used THIS secret architecture shared with a vehicle 30,000.00 less"

What is... Sigma Alex?]

Ha... just kidding, the XLR is still very much a tribute to technology and performance in its own right and undoubtedly worth it but I mean... the BMW 3 Series convertible totally kicks ass, and if Cadillac got smart and made a 2-Door CTS-V drop-top with retractable roof... man it would so outsell the XLR in a heartbeat, THAT would be a custom id PAY to see someone do. And I KNOW im not crazy because many are doing it, including Audi with the A4 Convertible.

pasia is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: XLR price in Finland

Hi,

XLR price in Finland is 149 900 euros, xlr is available here in next month.

A simple question:
    What exactly makes the Sigma platform a Sigma?
    Hydroformed framing?
    Suspension engineering and setup?
    A combination of both or something else entirely?

No one have any ideas?
    The reason I ask is that the XLR rests on a leaf spring suspension much like the current generation corvette(haven't peeked under a new vette yet, but seeing as it shares platforms with the XLR, I assume it's the same). The Sigma platform uses a double wishbone setup. They both share hydroformed railing, but other than that, I don't see much similarity in structure.
    I know the Evoq concept was a Sigma vehicle, but I have my doubts that the XLR is...
    Evoq was the design inspiration for the XLR, but their platforms are very different.

Tiger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Flirtin' w/ an SRX...

Talking Re: unbelievable...

Want to feel better? My local Nissan dealer is adding $3,500 to every Titan truck right on the sticker! At least with an XLR you are getting something that's not a volume product!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I freaking hate Neiman Marcus.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.