Rented an XLR- Review
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Rented an XLR- Review in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hertz "prestige" collection in Phoenix Az had a brand new XLR for rent yesterday. Being the Cadillac buff that I ...
    DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Rented an XLR- Review

Hertz "prestige" collection in Phoenix Az had a brand new XLR for rent yesterday. Being the Cadillac buff that I have now become I had to rent it ( $165 per day ! ). So as the XLR is waiting in the parking lot let me give a cliff notes version of my experience;

One of the best driving sports cars in the world. When simply crusing in the XLR I felt ride quailty on par with my '05 STS. Very smooth and very tight. However, when I punched the gas , WOW, what power ! The same engine I have in my STS & SRX goes much faster and sounds ( growels) nicely in the XLR. Performance handeling is awesome and the jaw drop factor from passerby's is fun to see.

Negatives- why on earth did Cadillac make the shifting to manual a tap to the left as compared with the STS&SRX where you tap the stick to the right. When I first pulled out of Hertz I did not know I was in manual as my hand slapped the stick to the left simply by resting my hand on it and making a turn. Also, and perhaps something was turned off in the rental, but the XLR did not have a dash indicator that I was in manuel ! That had to be a mistake and something wrong . XLR owners , does the XLR tell you what gear your in? This one did not and it was akward.

Other then that what a fantastic sports car that one can dirve everyday. :coolgleam

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

harryctsv is offline Banned

Re: Rented an XLR- Review

Quote Originally Posted by DG2
    Hertz "prestige" collection in Phoenix Az had a brand new XLR for rent yesterday. Being the Cadillac buff that I have now become I had to rent it ( $165 per day ! ). So as the XLR is waiting in the parking lot let me give a cliff notes version of my experience;

One of the best driving sports cars in the world. When simply crusing in the XLR I felt ride quailty on par with my '05 STS. Very smooth and very tight. However, when I punched the gas , WOW, what power ! The same engine I have in my STS & SRX goes much faster and sounds ( growels) nicely in the XLR. Performance handeling is awesome and the jaw drop factor from passerby's is fun to see.

Negatives- why on earth did Cadillac make the shifting to manual a tap to the left as compared with the STS&SRX where you tap the stick to the right. When I first pulled out of Hertz I did not know I was in manual as my hand slapped the stick to the left simply by resting my hand on it and making a turn. Also, and perhaps something was turned off in the rental, but the XLR did not have a dash indicator that I was in manuel ! That had to be a mistake and something wrong . XLR owners , does the XLR tell you what gear your in? This one did not and it was akward.

Other then that what a fantastic sports car that one can dirve everyday. :coolgleam
    Hi DG2,
    yes, you are right, the XLR is a wonderfull car.
    With the manual-mode, some automakers have it on the left, some an the right but you`ll get very fast used too.
    The gear you got in, is showing on my XLR in the HUD, didn`t it shows up there?

Harry

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Having the Steptronic to the LEFT is the way it SHOULD be. Having it on the right makes for a farther reach and unnatural resting position for your hand. This is why I like BMW's Steptronic trannies so much, because you put them in "D" and then slap it to the right where the "+" and "-" are (they are vertical) to do your up and down shifts. I utterly hated the fact my Volkswagen had it all the way on the right, and to boot it was slow.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    Having the Steptronic to the LEFT is the way it SHOULD be. Having it on the right makes for a farther reach and unnatural resting position for your hand. This is why I like BMW's Steptronic trannies so much, because you put them in "D" and then slap it to the right where the "+" and "-" are (they are vertical) to do your up and down shifts. I utterly hated the fact my Volkswagen had it all the way on the right, and to boot it was slow.
    You know, your right. After I got back in the XLR and tried the shifting again I felt that the shift lever should be leaning left, closer to the hand. But, the HUD was not working and it did not tell me the gear number. I still would vote for Cadillac putting the gear indicator in the dash the same way as on the SRX/STS.

One major problem with this XLR - I WANT ONE !!!

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

This is a good idea. I'll have to check into it for my next out-of-town trip. I assume these premium cars are only available at limited Hertz locations.

1701 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Glad I'm not alone! During my test drive I too had the same "problem" or annoyance. Upon every left turn the shifter moved left. I compensated by lightening up on the touch. Let that be the WORST problem!

nukeduster is offline Cadillac Owners Member

while turning, you should have both hands on the wheel.. come on now kids, basic car driving 101. in fact, your hand should only be on the shifter and not on the wheel when you are shifting. problem solved.

./end of rant

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.