What year to pass on XLR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, What year to pass on XLR in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok I am going to start looking for an XLR and not sure what year to steer of because of ...
    dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

What year to pass on XLR

Ok I am going to start looking for an XLR and not sure what year to steer of because of some know problems or likely problem. Yeah, i don't know much about them. It won't be driven much, won't be exposed to weather so whatever I do find will have to have been well taken care of. Everybody is looking for a deal and I expect to pay for what it is worth if it is decent shape with hidden problems, so I would appreciate anybodies help on what to look for, what to run from. I know these cars can get expensive to maintain, some of that I can do myself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: What year to pass on XLR

They are all pretty much the same but as with most cars, the later production the more "fixes" they have built in.
    Try to stay towards '08 or '09 if you can.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

'04-05 had problem with DRL melting or grazing the plastic lens - replacement headlight assemblies $1000 each. Some same year cars had to replace radiator.

06-09: most design flaws fixed.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

They all melt the lens in front of the DRL and you have to install the new design headlights because they stoped making the original ones.
    That means you have to buy the harness adapters too, to the tune of about $1,200 a pop.
    The radiators were junk, although I don't recall replacing many in the later models.

Ok was tipped off on a 2006 with a little over 12k, infrared, with ebony interior. I don't plan on driving it much, just special occasions. What's something like that worth?

Well I checked blue book and they claim a little over 25k. not sure if that is high or low on the price.

Johnxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Depends on condition as well. I know the 06 was the first year where the XM antenna was removed from the rear trunk area and placed just right of the rear view mirror.

Good luck on your purchase. I always think of what else you could get for 25k and compare with the XLR

Well that is a good way of looking at it. Problem is they want way more than that. Without talking to them they have it listed for 38k and that is more than I think it is worth for a 2006. Yes it has low mileage but I think it is over the top.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

This sounds a lot like a vehicle on a dealer's lot. $25k is reasonable for a nice 2006. A good general rule of thumb for Cadillac pricing is 50% off after four years; this is an eight year-old vehicle, and the seller is asking way too much. The XLR-V will run a little more, but it was $100k new. (I paid $32k for my XLR when it was four years old.)

Pass on the 04/05's. They're fine if the issues specific to those years are addressed, but 2006 had some nice changes: Adaptive headlights, relocated Remote Keyless Entry antennas, a six-speed transmission, and as mentioned before, the XM antenna was hidden. The crazing associated with the headlight bezels (as opposed to melting, which is a totally different thing, and never happened) was corrected by mid-2006 with the installation of a more heat-resistant bezel material (clear, vice amber.) The headlamps that were retrofitted have a pigtail harness assembly adjacent to the headlamps.

Until 2009, (the final year the XLR was offered) there weren't many appreciable changes made to the XLR, other than exterior colors and chrome trim, chrome wheels, different interior wood trim and a re-designed steering wheel.

Check eBay Motors and Autotrader to see what private sellers are listing their XLR's for to get a better ballpark figure of what's realistic. Private sellers are usually your best bet, plus you can learn more about the car. My local dealer offered me $15k for my car a few months back and most likely would have sold it for around 20. It's pristine, but hey, it's a ten year-old car! Whatever XLR you choose, do have your local dealership print out its service history so you can get a better idea of what you're getting into.

Good luck,

CC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.