Flash To Pass....NOT!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Flash To Pass....NOT! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm the proud (relatively speaking) owner of an '05 XLR (Xenon Blue & Shale) and just discovered a PITA problem ...
    jworkmans is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Flash To Pass....NOT!

I'm the proud (relatively speaking) owner of an '05 XLR (Xenon Blue & Shale) and just discovered a PITA problem with the car:

Didja know that you can't use Flash-to-pass - like even a $9,000 Kia - in the XLR unless the headlamps are already on? I'm like WTF!!!!!

I took the car into the dealer this AM because a DRS bulb was getting wonky and to say the brights weren't working. They called to tell me that the brights are only available when the headlamps are on because they're HID's. So-phreakin-what! Do you mean that I can't ask Granny to get outta the left lane so my underpowered $77k roadster can pass? Is this what GM calls "world-class" engineering?

Needless to say, I think this is an oversight that someone deserves a paddling for...or at least a smack in the gob.

ARGH!

John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Re: Flash To Pass....NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by jworkmans
    I'm the proud (relatively speaking) owner of an '05 XLR (Xenon Blue & Shale) and just discovered a PITA problem with the car:

Didja know that you can't use Flash-to-pass - like even a $9,000 Kia - in the XLR unless the headlamps are already on? I'm like WTF!!!!!

I took the car into the dealer this AM because a DRS bulb was getting wonky and to say the brights weren't working. They called to tell me that the brights are only available when the headlamps are on because they're HID's. So-phreakin-what! Do you mean that I can't ask Granny to get outta the left lane so my underpowered $77k roadster can pass? Is this what GM calls "world-class" engineering?

Needless to say, I think this is an oversight that someone deserves a paddling for...or at least a smack in the gob.

ARGH!

John
    My '89 DeVille is the same. If you wanted the Flash-to-pass feature you should have bought a Ford product, they've offered that feature as standard for years!

95Concours is offline Expired eMail Address

If that upsets you, just wait until you see the bill if one of your HID's blows out....

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

hmm my cts has hids and does not do that...I doubt the XLR has hid high beams....check your user manual

harryctsv is offline Banned

ARGH!

John
    Hi John, I don`t understand what you try to say!!!!!

I got the export model, here in germany (I´m german) and you and we here have the day-time running-light, so when ever our cars are running you can flash-to-pass. I use it a lot because I drive my cars fast ( had my XLR up to 276 pkh (171 mph on HUD-analog stops at 260 kph). So I really don`t understand what kind of problem you got with your flash-to-pass besides than if something is wrong or broken on your light system.

Harry

Harry,

I finally got someone at GM to explain to me why it's not possible to have FTP on the XLR.

It goes something like this: The CTS and all the other Caddies that have the stacking headlamp (where there is a low-beam HID bulb and a high-beam incandescent in the same assembly) can use FTP because the incandescent is actually the bulb that's used for that feature. Essentially, all Caddies in the US/Canada market - EXCEPT the XLR - have this setup. The XLR has a single hi-beam/low-beam HID setup with the "top" bulb being a yellow daylight-running-system bulb that also serves as the front turn indicator.

The GM engineer said the HID's do not have the ability to "snap-on/snap-off" like an incandescent because they have an electronic "ballast" that has to warm-up. So, since the only forward-facing bulb in the XLR is a HID (hi & lo beam), and HID's won't flash rapidly, the feature is only enabled when the low-beams are on, meaning that the ballast is already engaged.

I don't know what the Euro setup is, but I suspect you don't have the DRS setup the way we have them here.

I asked why they didn't use the lower fogs (the ones in the valance) for this purpose and he said it would have taken too many wires. I almost fell over. It's a simple electronic function and only requires a small smartchip - and the XLR is loaded with them anyway. Well, GM decided to delete this function from their flagship car.....after all, why would we need a 160mph car that can signal Grandma to get out of the way. It's not like we drive it fast or anything.

DOH!

Oh, and as far as replacing one of those HID bulbs....I'm putting money in a savings account right now. It's likely to be the size of the national debt of Peru! And if Lincoln made a roadster I'd be happy to consider it - but a quick visit to my local LinMer dealer convinced me they don't have squat on the road right now that even makes me look twice.
    John

harryctsv is offline Banned

Harry,

I finally got someone at GM to explain to me why it's not possible to have FTP on the XLR.

It goes something like this: The CTS and all the other Caddies that have the stacking headlamp (where there is a low-beam HID bulb and a high-beam incandescent in the same assembly) can use FTP because the incandescent is actually the bulb that's used for that feature. Essentially, all Caddies in the US/Canada market - EXCEPT the XLR - have this setup. The XLR has a single hi-beam/low-beam HID setup with the "top" bulb being a yellow daylight-running-system bulb that also serves as the front turn indicator.

The GM engineer said the HID's do not have the ability to "snap-on/snap-off" like an incandescent because they have an electronic "ballast" that has to warm-up. So, since the only forward-facing bulb in the XLR is a HID (hi & lo beam), and HID's won't flash rapidly, the feature is only enabled when the low-beams are on, meaning that the ballast is already engaged.

I don't know what the Euro setup is, but I suspect you don't have the DRS setup the way we have them here.

I asked why they didn't use the lower fogs (the ones in the valance) for this purpose and he said it would have taken too many wires. I almost fell over. It's a simple electronic function and only requires a small smartchip - and the XLR is loaded with them anyway. Well, GM decided to delete this function from their flagship car.....after all, why would we need a 160mph car that can signal Grandma to get out of the way. It's not like we drive it fast or anything.

DOH!

Oh, and as far as replacing one of those HID bulbs....I'm putting money in a savings account right now. It's likely to be the size of the national debt of Peru! And if Lincoln made a roadster I'd be happy to consider it - but a quick visit to my local LinMer dealer convinced me they don't have squat on the road right now that even makes me look twice.
    John
    John, I didn`t know that the us/models have these changes to the export-models. For europe a FTP is a must, the same as the bright rear fog lights.
    But I´m real happy with my XLR .
    This xenon beams are here in germany more expensive than in the us. Never had to replace on.

Thanks
    Harry

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

The DRL's in many VW and Mercedes vehicles are the HIDs anyway, they stay on all the time and they still take years to have any problems (you probably would not own it long enough to see any effect). If you just LEAVE THEM ON youll basically EQUALIZE the chance of failure between a "burnout" vs. the shock to the system of turning it off and on every night. Even then, a HID bulb can be had on ebay for about 140.00. This is not Cadillac's fault (it's only an effort to make the vehicle more appealing) and as far as I'm concerned it is a non-issue. Also, If one is driving so fast as to constantly need FTP in the states, you may be going a bit too fast.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The HID bulb's only $252.00 from Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    This is not Cadillac's fault (it's only an effort to make the vehicle more appealing) and as far as I'm concerned it is a non-issue. Also, If one is driving so fast as to constantly need FTP in the states, you may be going a bit too fast.
    Well, Play, then who would be "at fault"? I sure didn't design the system this way. Yes, it's a niggling little issue, but then isn't "The Standard of the World" supposed to care about even small things?

And, with regard to driving fast, you betcha...I do it, I like to do it, I'm gonna continue to do it and you can't stop me. Nyaaa Nyaaa (J/K!) Seriously, why would I buy a supposedly powerful car (320 ponies is a bit shy in this segment, but I digress) if I'm not gonna use em? I say let's throw a few more barrels of oil on the fire and light this sucker up. Yes, I have lots of tickets, but who cares....that's why I have money and an attorney!

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

I know where your coming from, but what Im saying is, its a functional limitation of the design. Cadillac was only aiming at making the XLR as good as it can be by putting in bi-xenon headlights, BUT the drawback to this is that either you have to keep them on all the time (as I said, this sounds alot worse than it is), or you cant use FTP when its off. If Cadillac had taken the Halogen high beam approach on the XLR, people would have complained that it was "cheap" for not having bi-xenons.

As far as Xenon lights go, I think the technology reaches its limits on this one, HOWEVER, I KNOW Cadillac is working with providers to develop LED based headlights. THESE WOULD allow flash to pass even when off because they are an instant light source.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

I know here atleast, flashing your lights at people to move into the right lane is illegal..... I think it is stupid too (the law)

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    As far as Xenon lights go, I think the technology reaches its limits on this one, HOWEVER, I KNOW Cadillac is working with providers to develop LED based headlights. THESE WOULD allow flash to pass even when off because they are an instant light source.
    I agree that we've about reached the end of the HID with regards to usefulness. The whole "warm-it-up-to-use-it" schmear is just not gonna cut it anymore.

I'd be really interested in seeing the LED headlamps. Not only would they be incredibly cool, I bet the styling possibilities are just amazing!

mswaim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This whole "flash to pass" issue is a bit ridiculous since in many states it's illegal to use your headlights as "signalling" devices and let's face it, who really pays attention anyway? I can only speak for myself, however I don't pay any attention to someone who flashes their lights at me unless they are blue and red. Everyone else can wait their turn, I'll move over when the situation is right for me. I won't hog the fast lane, but I won't move over and drop into slower traffic just to suit someone who thinks their time is more valuable than mine.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by mswaim
    This whole "flash to pass" issue is a bit ridiculous since in many states it's illegal to use your headlights as "signalling" devices and let's face it, who really pays attention anyway? I can only speak for myself, however I don't pay any attention to someone who flashes their lights at me unless they are blue and red. Everyone else can wait their turn, I'll move over when the situation is right for me. I won't hog the fast lane, but I won't move over and drop into slower traffic just to suit someone who thinks their time is more valuable than mine.
    I think flashing your lights at someone to move over is kinda rude too....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.